~~~ The Other Pet thread ~~~

Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Ok, so dogs have there own hellla long thread and that's cool. But for those of us who have different pets; cats, birds, goldfish whatever; or just have an irrational fear of dogs this is for you post pics and whatnot if ya can.
I've never actually had any pets of my own, but I'm thinking about buying a little turtle soon enough. Check out how cool they are!

turtle2.jpg
I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I have a rabbit (Netherland Dwarf) and his name is Bubz (named after everyones favourite heroin addict from The Wire)

P1010634-1-1.jpg
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Aawww. Rabbits are so cool. A friend of mine has a pet Hedgehog too. That's a rockin pet.Bit prickly though.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    There is a kitty thread somewhere.

Hitch.. lil' aquatic turtles are cute things (had some when I was a kid) but remember that, as a reptile, they need a good habitat (large enough tank, water + rocks/out of water stuff, heating, etc.). They are good fun though!

Jen... Bubz is so cute!
  • Ok, so dogs have there own hellla long thread and that's cool. But for those of us who have different pets; cats,

*ahem*

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=91396

There's lots of teh kitteh loverz round these parts ;)

:D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Ok, so dogs have there own hellla long thread and that's cool. But for those of us who have different pets; cats,

*ahem*

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=91396

There's lots of teh kitteh loverz round these parts ;)

:D
    Sorry, Didn't see it :oops:
    I do love cats.
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/c ... slider.htm

I love love love turtles, I have to caution anyone who wants one though....they live a very long time, and need large habitats with heated water, vitamin sun lamps and good diets to be healthy. I have a Asian Yellow Pond turtle that I purchased from a breeder in Florida, he will remain much smaller then a Red Ear Slider, but lives in a 50 gallon pond in my family room. If want to help a turtle in need, there are always dozens on any Craigs List. I get offered about a dozen Red Ear Sliders each year, I always say no....don't have room for a 100 gallon tank!!!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Ok, so dogs have there own hellla long thread and that's cool. But for those of us who have different pets; cats, birds, goldfish whatever; or just have an irrational fear of dogs this is for you post pics and whatnot if ya can.
    I've never actually had any pets of my own, but I'm thinking about buying a little turtle soon enough. Check out how cool they are!

turtle2.jpg

turtles are very cool...as are lizards...tho i've never owned either.
    that said, do be cautious with turtles! that pic you posted, holding the turtles in your hands? NOT a good idea. i can't remember what disease it is, but it's serious business, and turtles carry it....and yea, uncool. so be careful.

that said, i have a few fish out in my pond, that's it for pets outside of the dog and cat variety. we used to have quite a few goldfish, 20 at one time once....and some were HUGE...but sadly, most of em eaten off by egrets or herons...or killed by disease. :( so now i try and not get so attached to em. i stopped naming them and all. right now we have about 7 smallish goldfish and they seem to be doing quite well. we also have a good tree that shades most of the pond so i think that adds protection for them from the birds, so we shall see....i may well end up naming some again yet!

i'll post a few pics of fish that have come and gone....howard was probably my biggest and oldest fish ever. had him about 7 years before a heron got him. all the fish got big, all looked very different (chose them for that reason) so i could tell them apart, etc. they were so, so beautiful...
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    This is my son's snake--it's a corn snake.

He named him Cob. :)

NickholdingCob.jpg
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Jennytree wrote:
    I have a rabbit (Netherland Dwarf) and his name is Bubz (named after everyones favourite heroin addict from The Wire)

P1010634-1-1.jpg

Awwwwww.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I'll have to see about getting some pics up but here's what I have:

1yr old bearded dragon, Gremlin
    6 yr old Iguana, Fortesque
    30Gal Cichlid tank
    1.5 Gal Guppy tank(we had two but they had about 15 babies!!!!)

I'm all about the "other" pet. I was debating on getting a Boa that my friend needs to get off her hands... but I think I'm running out of tank space!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Lizard wrote:

NickholdingCob.jpg

Sweet little thing!
  • Here are three of my poopers: Annoushka, Nova, and Lola. I've got a gorgeous male as well, but so far I have not captured his beauty on camera. And my guinea pig Miles is five years old this month! The only great pic of him is from 2005, so it's hardly relevant.
    mice20.jpg

mice15.jpg

mice10.jpg
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • I have 2 cats.
    I used to have pet hamsters but most of them were either killed by my cat or died some other way
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    in 1995 we had 17 pets
    3 gerbils- Speedy, Rosie & Mickey
    2 bunnies -Floppsy & Turbo
    2 dogs -Jake & Charlie
    2 canaries- Hershey & Sunshine
    5 doves- mom & dad laid 2 eggs we had babies!
    1 parakeet- Mr Smee
    2 finches- Tweet & Sweet
    an iguana - Spike
    1 cockatiel - pumpkin
    1 hermit crab- nobody remembers his name thats sad
    I must have been the Mom who couldn't say no!
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    pandora wrote:
    in 1995 we had 17 pets
    3 gerbils- Speedy, Rosie & Mickey
    2 bunnies -Floppsy & Turbo
    2 dogs -Jake & Charlie
    2 canaries- Hershey & Sunshine
    5 doves- mom & dad laid 2 eggs we had babies!
    1 parakeet- Mr Smee
    2 finches- Tweet & Sweet
    an iguana - Spike
    1 cockatiel - pumpkin
    1 hermit crab- nobody remembers his name thats sad
    I must have been the Mom who couldn't say no!

And I thought I was nuts. Tell me you lived on a farm or something! I live in an apartment and my beardie, iguana, 2 cats, and cichlid tank are a lot!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Moca ---->
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • Moca

moca_box_2aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • And my guinea pig Miles is five years old this month! The only great pic of him is from 2005, so it's hardly relevant.

mice43.jpg
    peej274.jpg

My beloved Miles died today!
    The smaller photo shows the cool 'tail' that he had in his first months (He had long hair on his tushie.) After I posted pics of my mice, I felt bad about not having a recent Miles pic. So I took several snaps of him a few weeks ago [larger photo.]

I rescued Miles and his brother Nicholas on 01 February 2005, in Rhode Island. Someone had dumped them at a local Petco. Looking about 12 weeks old, they were available for free adoption. Males tend to fight when they get older, so I asked if I could take just one. The staff refused, and said I had to take both or neither. I wanted to help them, but I knew that raising them separately would be stressful: I'd need two cages, each large enough for a 3 pound animal to be comfortable in. I'd have to play with them separately, let each one out for exercise separately. I'd need to buy twice as much hay, woodchips, fresh produce. I already had a family of 8 gerbils in my apartment, who lived in 3 cages. I had a pair on mice in a fourth cage. I had a frog, and a five gallon aquarium. I wanted to add exactly ONE guinea pig as my new main pet........I took both piggies anyway. They managed to get along together in one huge cage for five months. When they had to live in different cages, I started the 'separate but equal' routine: I'd give one a piece of apple, then the other. I'd pet one, then the other.

NICO:
    mice44.jpg
    The three of us moved to California at the end of '07. I got permission from Delta airlines to take both guinea pigs inside the cabin with me. Both Miles and Nicholas were "wrong" for months after the move. Eventually Nico came out of his shell, he was happy and affectionate. Miles remained timid. Nico died on 01 February 2009, exactly four years to the day since I adopted him. With his brother gone, Miles grew in confidence. He went from sitting in one place when I took him out of his cage, to exploring the entire apartment. He found where I kept the hay. If I turned my back, he would gnaw through the bag and help himself. The front door on his wire cage folds down like a ramp. I bought a carpet square to give him traction on the ramp so that he could climb up whenever he wanted. The past few months, Miles was truly becoming happy and content with his life.
    Oh I'm sorry- Miles is simply adorable- a big ahhhh as soon as I saw the pic then a big noooo when I read he passed. From your post you can tell you are a very loving pet owner taking such good care of all your crew.
    My kids when little would call them "kitty pigs". I can tell Miles was very special :) again so sorry for your loss.
  • pandora wrote:
    Oh I'm sorry- Miles is simply adorable- a big ahhhh as soon as I saw the pic then a big noooo when I read he passed. From your post you can tell you are a very loving pet owner taking such good care of all your crew.
    My kids when little would call them "kitty pigs". I can tell Miles was very special :) again so sorry for your loss.

Thanks, Pandora!

At various times, I called my guinea pigs "Puppy Bears" and "Wubby Rabbits" because they looked like a combination of several animals.

Next year, I think I'll rescue a nice rabbit out of the shelter. Scores of them are killed by Animal Control every year. When I look at the websites, there are literally hundreds in public shelters and private rescues.
    pandora wrote:

Thanks, Pandora!

At various times, I called my guinea pigs "Puppy Bears" and "Wubby Rabbits" because they looked like a combination of several animals.

Next year, I think I'll rescue a nice rabbit out of the shelter. Scores of them are killed by Animal Control every year. When I look at the websites, there are literally hundreds in public shelters and private rescues.
    So many pets unwanted- very sad- all our doggies now are rescue. Thats a very good idea to rescue a rabbit- we had 2 bunnies while the kids were growing up. Ours lived outside,pretty good long lives, but I think you will probably be one of those wonderful rabbit owners who will have him/her inside with a litter box. Please post pics if you do!
  • TravisTheSkyTravisTheSky Posts: 615
    The rest of my mice: First is Vladimir, the only male, that I got from Pasadena Humane Society last August. He always looks just plain old black in photos. In reality, he is very dark grey with silver-tipped hairs on the underside. What a moosh! Here he is looking like a hamster with his small ears and short face:
    rrr257.jpg

And my two newest ladies:
    Sloan, who was originally a dark chocolate merle with a tan underside. But her merle patches "roaned out" so now she is (gag me with a spoon) Sloan the Roan!!!! Eeek! I did not consciously intend to name her that!
    rrr341.jpgrrr306.jpgrrr308.jpg
    Closest to a furred tail that I've seen in a pet mouse, with white fur at the end!
    rrr350.jpg

And lovely Marzipan. She is as happy and personable as my elderly mouse, Annoushka. Marz has ruby eyes.
    rrr049.jpgrrr288.jpgrrr289.jpgrrr294.jpg
    rrr285.jpg
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    Lizard wrote:

NickholdingCob.jpg

I have a corn snake too. I made a thread on this site years ago about how cool snakes are and someone commented that he wanted my snake to die because he hates all snakes :? .
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    pandora wrote:

Thanks, Pandora!

I'm so sorry to hear about Miles. He was a lovely piggie. I've had two of them in my life and enjoyed them very much, especially those adorable sounds they make.

Check out some of the info that's out there about house rabbits. Before we had our own place and I could have multiple dogs we had rabbits. The coolest one of all was Blaze, who was fully litter box trained and would hop to the front door if the bell rang. She was so cool... when I went back to school I used to study sitting on the floor with her beside me.

Now with three dogs, including a coonhound with a very strong prey drive, we can't have any other pets.

I wish you the best of luck with your next animal companion. That will be one lucky critter to have such a great home!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I love being surrounded by animals. I no longer feel the need to own them for life. Last year I decided to FINALLY get my Wildlife Rehabilitators license. Although I don't get to keep any of the animals I rehab, they all have to go back into nature, it is an awesome way to spend time with all different kinds of animals and at the same time be doing charity work. I've been raising 8 baby squirrels for a couple of months, they are ready for release next week, its been a blast saving them and now seeing them go back to their rightful place in nature.

DSC02413.jpg
    DSC02418.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    i am dying to get a hamster. largly because of this picture:

http://www.petpress.com/wp-content/uplo ... amster.jpg
    i am dying to get a hamster. largly because of this picture:

http://www.petpress.com/wp-content/uplo ... amster.jpg
    :lol: oh my that is adorable, just sweet! You made my morning with that super cute pic thank you!
    Makes me want one too!