What new pickups to get for my Ash Strat?

OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
edited August 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I bought an Ash Strat this summer and want to get new pickups for it. I was thinking Texas Specials or maybe the Hot Noiseless pickups, I'm looking for the SRV/Jimmie/ZZ-Top bluesy sound out if this guitar. Any advice or opinions would be a great help.

Thank you 8-)
BRING BACK THE WHALE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Well, the SRV strat has Texas Specials so you can't go wrong by putting these in. I have them in my strat and they're pretty good pickups but sometimes I feel like they take away some of the good and twangy clean sound generally associated with a strat. But that might be just my guitar, because it already has a pretty dark sound without an amp.
    Personally I would go with a personalized set if I were to change pickups now. Like the set on the Gilmour strat maybe.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    Well, the SRV strat has Texas Specials so you can't go wrong by putting these in. I have them in my strat and they're pretty good pickups but sometimes I feel like they take away some of the good and twangy clean sound generally associated with a strat. But that might be just my guitar, because it already has a pretty dark sound without an amp.
    Personally I would go with a personalized set if I were to change pickups now. Like the set on the Gilmour strat maybe.
    +1. Thinking of doing this with my Mexican Fender Strat, and attempting the hack that he's got with a toggle switch to utilize both the neck and bridge pickups, while bypassing the center pickup.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Texas Specials are probably the most popular choice for what you're aiming for, although they're far from the best choice.

Lindy Fralin's Blues Specials are probably my primary recommendation. They are clean, clear, and just overwound enough to get that SRV tone. http://www.fralinpickups.com/stratstyleBS.asp

Jason Lollar's pickups are also highly-rated Strat replacements. I'm not familiar with his product line, so I don't know which model(s) to recommend, but his name is always near the top of the list. http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mercha ... at-pickups

Fender also has some really nice pickups besides the Texas Specials. My strat has SCN pickups in the neck and middle position, and I love them. If you hate single-coil hum, I'd very seriously recommend them; true single coils without the noise. Also, the Big Dipper pickups featured in the John Mayer Strat are killer, probably the best pickups Fender has made for the Strat in 30+ years. Unfortunately, they are currently only available in the JM Sig. Strat, or occasionally on eBay. There are a few people who've managed clones of them, notably Torres Engineering's Buzkut pickups: http://www.torresengineering.com/newstpidimit.html and Klein Pickups' S-5 pickups: http://www.kleinpickups.com/p-77-s-5-sc ... ickup.aspx
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Do you guys think Ash will have a different sound to it with those style pickups?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    I think that's hard to say with an Ash body, because they are generally more likely to sound different from one another than most other body woods. I would say the safest way would be to compare it with the (dry) sound of an alder strat and go from there.
    But to answer your question: There will probably be differences to alder bodies.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Any thoughts on Gold Lace Sensors?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • Duncan Antiquities..........enough said!
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."