Options

Pearl Jam needs to be on "The Simpsons". Immediately.

We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 456
edited July 2009 in The Porch
Look at this list of bands/artists that have been on the show. It's time. Maybe towards the end of this upcoming season? Next season? Or maybe for the band's 20th anniversary in 2011?

Coldplay (just announced)
Michael Jackson
Green Day (the movie)
Paul, George, and Ringo
U2
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Who
R.E.M.
Phish
Sting
The Ramones
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards
Elvis Costello
Tom Petty
Blink-182
David Byrne
The White Stripes
Aerosmith
Johnny Cash
The Smashing Pumpkins
Sonic Youth
Cypress Hill
Peter Frampton
If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    jimbo-jones.jpg
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    D'OH!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Agreed - Maybe Conan can use his old ties to work it out.
  • Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586
    "how come pearl jam never comes here?!" was in the episode where selma adopts the asian baby
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    No way! Simpsons has sucked for yyyyyyyyyyears now. I don't know why celebrities are so eager to appear.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    fowls wrote:
    No way! Simpsons has sucked for yyyyyyyyyyears now. I don't know why celebrities are so eager to appear.
    Exactly. PJ needed to be on there like 10 years ago - the Simpsons is like worse than 'meh' these days. I've only seen one or two new eps the last few years, and I was as crazy a fan as there ever was during the first 12-14 seasons.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    drsluggo wrote:
    fowls wrote:
    Exactly. PJ needed to be on there like 10 years ago - the Simpsons is like worse than 'meh' these days. I've only seen one or two new eps the last few years, and I was as crazy a fan as there ever was during the first 12-14 seasons.

I remember reading that they had been asked several years ago, but declined. Can anyone confirm?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Pearl Jam were asked to be in the, "Homerpalooza," episode in the show's seventh season in 1996. They declined. The episode featured Peter Frampton, Sonic Youth, Cypress Hill and the Smashing Pumpkins. I've always imagined that the Simpsons approached Smashing Pumpkins only after Pearl Jam turned them down.
  • Options
    foofan1990foofan1990 Posts: 139
    Look at this list of bands/artists that have been on the show. It's time. Maybe towards the end of this upcoming season? Next season? Or maybe for the band's 20th anniversary in 2011?

Coldplay (just announced)
    Michael Jackson
    Green Day (the movie)
    Paul, George, and Ringo
    U2
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Who
    R.E.M.
    Phish
    Sting
    The Ramones
    Mick Jagger and Keith Richards
    Elvis Costello
    Tom Petty
    Blink-182
    David Byrne
    The White Stripes
    Aerosmith
    Johnny Cash
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Sonic Youth
    Cypress Hill
    Peter Frampton

You forgot Lenny Kravitz
  • Options
    fowls wrote:

Well, actually last season was fantastic. Celebrities are eager to appear on it because it is actually prestigious and quite an honor to be asked. Regardless of how you feel about it, in the last 20 Years the Simpsons has led the way in shaping pop culture as we know it today.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    fowls wrote:

Well, actually last season was fantastic. Celebrities are eager to appear on it because it is actually prestigious and quite an honor to be asked. Regardless of how you feel about it, in the last 20 Years the Simpsons has led the way in shaping pop culture as we know it today.
    +1. I can't count the number of real-life scenarios I've been in that remind me very much of a certain Simpsons episode. And last season was good? Really? I'll have to get back into it... I attempted to do a marathon of every single Simpsons episode from beginning to end (whether I've seen it, which I have for most, or not), but got to the eighth season before I gave up.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I think the Simpsons is still good. There was a time when South Park, Family Guy, and Futurama seemed to be superior animated shows, and I think a lot of people started to hate on the Simpsons because of that. However all of them lost steam pretty quickly. The Simpsons is still the best. Moe Sislak is the shit.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I think the Simpsons is still good. There was a time when South Park, Family Guy, and Futurama seemed to be superior animated shows, and I think a lot of people started to hate on the Simpsons because of that. However all of them lost steam pretty quickly. The Simpsons is still the best. Moe Sislak is the shit.
    South Park never lost steam, IMO. Futurama got stale for me after a while, and Family Guy aggravated me pretty much from the get-go. For those of you who haven't seen the episode of South Park where they try and explain why Family Guy's jokes are so bad (dolphins in a tank randomly selecting from many scenarios what Peter's flashbacks will be about), I highly recommend it.

EV
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    edited July 2009
    Pearl Jam were asked to be in the, "Homerpalooza," episode in the show's seventh season in 1996. They declined. The episode featured Peter Frampton, Sonic Youth, Cypress Hill and the Smashing Pumpkins. I've always imagined that the Simpsons approached Smashing Pumpkins only after Pearl Jam turned them down.

this is true. Ed actually mentioned during a subsequent interview that the producers mailed the band a copy of the script they were pitching, which featured an exchange between Homer and Ed where Homer offered Ed advice along the lines of "be true to yourself" or words to the effect.

one of the 2 pieces of Simpsons' production cels i own is from the "Homerpalooza" episode. due to copyright issues, Fox doesn't sell production cels which include a celebrity's likeness so any hand-drawn cels of the band would, sadly, never have been made available for sale. i'm actually still working my connection for the "Alien dude: Need two tickets to Pearl Jam" production cel but cels from that episode haven't been made available yet (if cels are in rough shape and/or damaged, Fox usually doesn't bother releasing them from the vaults),...
    Post edited by 100 Pacer on
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    fowls wrote:

+1. I can't count the number of real-life scenarios I've been in that remind me very much of a certain Simpsons episode. And last season was good? Really? I'll have to get back into it... I attempted to do a marathon of every single Simpsons episode from beginning to end (whether I've seen it, which I have for most, or not), but got to the eighth season before I gave up.

Yeah last season had some misses but for the most part was more hits then misses, which is the first time in 6 seasons you can say that. There were a half dozen truly, excellent, funny episodes.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    fowls wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree - I wouldn't want to see PJ on there now. There was a time when the Simpsons produced some of the best satire ever on television; now they're a damn joke. I believe the first 8 seasons were their golden years...been down hill ever since. Family Guy on the other hand, hilarious!
  • Options
    yeah, I was a MAJOR Simpsons fanatic back in the day, culminating with the Chili Cook Off episode and the X Files episode. I haven't watched in years. I actually sat through a couple seasons in disgust hoping it would go back to its good ol' self, but it never did. Now I see reruns of episodes that I've never even seen! I never even saw the movie.

I think it USED to be a boon to be asked to be on the Simpsons, but not so much anymore. That show isn't anywhere near the pop culture icon it once was.

Put em on an episode of the Office, where Michael hires them for a staff party or something. All the while the band thinking it's a real gig.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    I'd rather see their heads in jars, and still touring, when Futurama returns. Since, you know, the fans fought to get it back again. ;)
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Bryan Setzer was another.

"A guitar has many names. An axe, a gitbox. Thats about it. Now lets go through the basics. Playing a burning guitar with your teeth!"

Still love the Simpsons. This lastest series hasn't been the best but I'm still liking it. They could have an episode of homer teaching PJ how to play grunge. Seeing as he invented it! ;):D
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    fowls wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree - I wouldn't want to see PJ on there now. There was a time when the Simpsons produced some of the best satire ever on television; now they're a damn joke. I believe the first 8 seasons were their golden years...been down hill ever since. Family Guy on the other hand, hilarious!

What? Family Guy cant and will never hold a candle to the simpsons, its all interchangeable burp and fart jokes.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    fowls wrote:

What? Family Guy cant and will never hold a candle to the simpsons, its all interchangeable burp and fart jokes.

Oh hell yea I agree with you man. The Simpsons in their prime (first 8 seasons or so) is leaps and bounds beyond Family Guy - no argument there. I was mainly just implying that Family Guy is good for cheap laughs and great one-liners these days; nothing very original or intelligent though. I just can't get into the Simpsons these days, the past 10 years have been pretty shitty IMO with a few exceptions here and there.
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Metallica appeared in the season opener last year or 2 years ago.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options

Oh hell yea I agree with you man. The Simpsons in their prime (first 8 seasons or so) is leaps and bounds beyond Family Guy - no argument there. I was mainly just implying that Family Guy is good for cheap laughs and great one-liners these days; nothing very original or intelligent though. I just can't get into the Simpsons these days, the past 10 years have been pretty shitty IMO with a few exceptions here and there.

Ahh, ok gotcha.... I really liked Family Guy before the cancellation, after they came back I just wasn't so big on it, I still watched it until the Micheal J Fox/Zorro joke, that was just beyond tasteless to me.

Futurama and South Park are also good, South Park has actually gotten better over the last 5 years, Futurama i am pretty stoked is returning but if these rumors of new voice actors are true I smell flop.

Also, I encourage everyone to give S20 of the Simpsons a chance, its not a return to glory but there is a lot of great episodes. Including, Ned and Homer becoming Bounty Hunters, Lisa gets an ipod and racks up a huge bill downloading songs, Maggie getting kidnapped by a group of nuns, a St Patricks Day episode where they actually go to Ireland, and also one where Norwegians take over Springfield. That is just a few of the beauts in S20.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Arocker28Arocker28 Posts: 60
    Kid Rock was on the Simpsons, when home went to spring break. I wouldn't want the PJ on the simpsons, but I do love the little references they put in. Like the time they go to China, and the man asks " why does pearl jam never come here"
  • Options
    lukinvedderlukinvedder Posts: 203
    oh my god yes!
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009

• Options
    jmsjms Posts: 243
    I still watch The Simpson's but it was almost just out of habit until this last season. They had some great episodes especially if you were in the right frame of mind.