Options

Disgraced that Obama is our President

flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
edited July 2009 in A Moving Train
Good thing this guy isnt a Dixie Chick or the right wing would be all over him.

=========================================
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/2 ... 44048.html

The president of the Cambridge Police Patrol Officer's Association says that President Obama's statement that officers "acted stupidly" when they arrested black scholar Henry Louis Gates was "disgraceful."

Stephen Killion told the Huffington Post that he was shocked when he heard the president make the remarks during Wednesday night's press conference.

"That was totally inappropriate. I am disgraced that he is our commander-in-chief. He smeared the good reputation of the hard-working men and women of the Cambridge Police Department. It was wrong to do. It was disgraceful."

Killion, whose union does not represent officer Sgt. James Crowley, says that Crowley is "a good sergeant." He added that Obama's comments today, in which the president said that cooler heads should have prevailed, were "back-pedaling, not a clarification."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JR8805JR8805 Posts: 169
    I don't think what Obama said was disgraceful. Lacking in grace, perhaps. "Unfortunate" would have been a smarter way to say what he did. I find it interesting that his comment against one man is being punted around as if he bigotedly intended to disparage a whole class of men. We just still have a long way to go with respect to our prejudices.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Good thing this guy isnt a Dixie Chick or the right wing would be all over him.

=========================================
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/2 ... 44048.html

The president of the Cambridge Police Patrol Officer's Association says that President Obama's statement that officers "acted stupidly" when they arrested black scholar Henry Louis Gates was "disgraceful."

Stephen Killion told the Huffington Post that he was shocked when he heard the president make the remarks during Wednesday night's press conference.

"That was totally inappropriate. I am disgraced that he is our commander-in-chief. He smeared the good reputation of the hard-working men and women of the Cambridge Police Department. It was wrong to do. It was disgraceful."

Killion, whose union does not represent officer Sgt. James Crowley, says that Crowley is "a good sergeant." He added that Obama's comments today, in which the president said that cooler heads should have prevailed, were "back-pedaling, not a clarification."

I think you meant to say "good thing this guy isn't a lefty with a conservative President in office"...that's only when the right cares about stuff like this.

If the guy is disgraced...oh well. Not gonna please everyone.
  • Options
    disgrace is a bit harsh. he just should have kept his mouth shut until he knew all the facts...
  • Options
    Staceb10Staceb10 Posts: 682
    If Obama wasn't a friend of Gates would he have commented at all? If Gates were white would he have commented either?
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Honestly, Obama shouldn't have said anything. However, this isn't some massive fuck up thats going to screw the country over. Can we move on please?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Staceb10 wrote:
    If Obama wasn't a friend of Gates would he have commented at all? If Gates were white would he have commented either?

If Gates were white, there would have been a smaller chance of him being suspected!
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Staceb10 wrote:

If Gates were white, there would have been a smaller chance of him being suspected!

Funny never looked at it that way. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Staceb10 wrote:

If Gates was white, it wouldn't be in the news at all. But I'm guessing that a big part of Obama deciding to comment was his friendship with Gates. I mean, what good is being president if now and again you can't back up your friends?
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    If Gates was white, it wouldn't be in the news at all. But I'm guessing that a big part of Obama deciding to comment was his friendship with Gates. I mean, what good is being president if now and again you can't back up your friends?
    Amen, Brother
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    His statement was just another in a long line of Obama "acting stupid". I'm willing to bet it's not the last either.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    I am disgraced that you're disgraced.....

get over it wuss
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    evenflow wrote:
    His statement was just another in a long line of Obama "acting stupid". I'm willing to bet it's not the last either.
    so the boston police is racist that's news?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    evenflow wrote:
    how many thousand times did bush say but more importantly DO something stupid? that guy was a disgrace to this country. at least obama can string words together to make a conherent sentence, even if it was a bad move for him to comment on this particular situation.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    WaveCameCrashinWaveCameCrashin Posts: 2,929
    evenflow wrote:
    +1
    And not to mention the fact That Obama is a Harvard law grad. so you would think he would have not said anything because,

A. He is friends with the professor ( so there's some bias already
    B. He didn't know all the facts.
    C. There shouldn't be a C.
  • Options
    TriumphantAngelTriumphantAngel Posts: 1,760
    prfctlefts wrote:
    evenflow wrote:
    +1
    And not to mention the fact That Obama is a Harvard law grad. so you would think he would have not said anything because,

A. He is friends with the professor ( so there's some bias already
    B. He didn't know all the facts.
    C. There shouldn't be a C.

Obama made a mistake. The mistake he made was a statement that could be misconstrued as calling an officer and department stupid in general and not just in this instance.

Gates arrest was unnecessary. The officer was stupid to arrest him. He made a mistake.

People makes mistakes.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,131
    Staceb10 wrote:

Sur ehe would have commented...but itwould have been a completelydifferent comment. ;)

It was a truly stupid thing for him to say, not bringing people together anymore now that he has the presidency.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    noahgendanoahgenda Posts: 63
    from the facts and what i understand gates acted like an ass and if anyone of us did the same we would still be in jail an the charges would be intensified! probably to something like terrorism. just my opinion i could be wrong