Options

We Belong Together...?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Not For YouNot For You Posts: 360
    My opinion is the version with "we belong together" if the full version or the demo version and the album track is a cut down version of it,

There is a FULL version of this song, I beleive it was on TEN "rough mixes" and it plays long after the album ending almost to fade out or actual ending if I remember correctly, and it is not present. Also not on any early versions on the demos. I am sure it is just a tag that ed did one time off the cuff and dug it, so it kept on...imho.. :-)

Where can I find TEN "rough mixes"?
    Walks on his own... With thoughts he can't help thinking...
  • Options
    You beckoned?
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    You beckoned?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    You beckoned?

Since we're talking about you...You should be the one to know the answer. :)
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    There's an old song by Rickie Lee Jones called "We belong together." I don't know that there's any more relationship to the song other than that one snippet of melody with the words though.

Except maybe the sad mood.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    There is a FULL version of this song, I beleive it was on TEN "rough mixes" and it plays long after the album ending almost to fade out or actual ending if I remember correctly, and it is not present. Also not on any early versions on the demos. I am sure it is just a tag that ed did one time off the cuff and dug it, so it kept on...imho.
    i must have heard that along the way :P
  • Options
    You beckoned?

I assumed you were just talking about the usual tag to "Black".
    On night 1 in Camden last year, Ed sang "we DIDN'T belong together"... guess he's FINALLY gotten over this girl.

Anyone ever hear the tag from Vienna in '06. "where ever you are, i'm having a better time than YOU are, tonight."
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,400
    The unplugged still gets me every time......................

yup. it's a very raw performance. absolutely beautiful.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    You beckoned?

I assumed you were just talking about the usual tag to "Black".
    On night 1 in Camden last year, Ed sang "we DIDN'T belong together"... guess he's FINALLY gotten over this girl.

Anyone ever hear the tag from Vienna in '06. "where ever you are, i'm having a better time than YOU are, tonight."

I guess he is over her :)
  • Options
    B/L/A/C/K
    some of my all time favorites, in no particular order

1. 1992 MTV Unplugged (we belong together tag)
    2. 1994 Atlanta (we belong together tag)
    3. 1998 LOTL
    4. 2003 Mexico II
    5. 1995 Chicago
    6. 2003 Benaroya
    7. 2005 Ottawa
    8. 2003 Philadelphia
    9. 2003 Tokyo
    10. TEN (studio version)
    11. 1992 June 6th London, England Finsbury Park
    12. 2003 Buffalo
    13. chicago 2000 (we belong together tag)
    14. 6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    15. RVM BOB remix

What is this "rearviewmirror" remix? link or can you send me the song???
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    by the way.with the meaning of all black song lyrics.we belong or we dont belong together feets better?thoughts?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    can we...NOT hear we belong together this tour????? PLEASE??? Ed...you are wonderfully creative...you can come up with something else...right????? :oops: :oops:
  • Options
    by the way.with the meaning of all black song lyrics.we belong or we dont belong together feets better?thoughts?

you can't compare... those early live performances of Black with the "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, WE BELONG, WE BELONG TOGETHER!!!! TOGETHERRRRRRR!" are simply amazing, heart-wrenching, and so fueled with real, and raw emotion. You really feel like Ed is pouring his heart and soul into those performances for hte world to see...

Actually, i believe there is a performance in Pittsburgh in '06, where Ed actually starts crying at the end of the song... check it out.
  • Options
    PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 785
    B/L/A/C/K
    some of my all time favorites, in no particular order

1. 1992 MTV Unplugged (we belong together tag)
    2. 1994 Atlanta (we belong together tag)
    3. 1998 LOTL
    4. 2003 Mexico II
    5. 1995 Chicago
    6. 2003 Benaroya
    7. 2005 Ottawa
    8. 2003 Philadelphia
    9. 2003 Tokyo
    10. TEN (studio version)
    11. 1992 June 6th London, England Finsbury Park
    12. 2003 Buffalo
    13. chicago 2000 (we belong together tag)
    14. 6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    15. RVM BOB remix

What is this "rearviewmirror" remix? link or can you send me the song???

It is actually the version of Black on the rearviewmirror (greatest hits) cd. It does not have the intro that the original TEN version had, however, there are parts of the song that sound a lot better with the "remix". The part right after Ed says, "In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine", you can hear the do do doo do doo vocals instantly. The original TEN version has that of course but it is not as clear. Also, the TEN reissue Black remix by BOB is not the same as the RVM version of Black that he remixed on that cd.
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    Richie Valens - We Belong Together

You're miiiine

And we belong, togetherrrrrrr.

Yes, we belong togetherrrrrr

For all eternity!!!!!!!!!
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options

you can't compare... those early live performances of Black with the "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, WE BELONG, WE BELONG TOGETHER!!!! TOGETHERRRRRRR!" are simply amazing, heart-wrenching, and so fueled with real, and raw emotion. You really feel like Ed is pouring his heart and soul into those performances for hte world to see...

Actually, i believe there is a performance in Pittsburgh in '06, where Ed actually starts crying at the end of the song... check it out.

Yes it does sound like he is tearing up a little
  • Options
    jmuscatellojmuscatello Colorado Posts: 332
    edited March 2014
    so I'm unburying this thread because this is something I've always wondered about:
    has anyone ever thought that Black's "we belong together" tag came from, or was at least a little bit inspired by, the Rickie Lee Jones song "We Belong Together" from her 1981 Pirates album? Is that a stretch? Because I've always wanted to believe that. She was a Chicagoan then, supposedly wrote it during/after her breakup with Tom Waits.

EDIT: just saw a post by justam from a long time ago, suggesting the same..... so I'm not alone
    Post edited by jmuscatello on
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited March 2014
    I think the "we belong together" tag is from a Ricky Lee Jones song of the same name.

Ed has done various tags near of black over the years, and as we all know, Black may not always have a tag in it.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    vedderfan02vedderfan02 Posts: 186
    edited March 2014
    I think it was about his old girlfriend Jill. Now he says "we DIDN'T belong together"
    2003: Nashville, Lexington, St.Louis
    2004: St. Louis
    2006: Cincinnati
    2008: Columbia, VA Beach
    2009: Chicago x2, Atlanta (EV) x2
    2010: St. Louis, Noblesville
    2011: St.Louis (EV), Alpine Valley x2
    2012: Pensacola, Atlanta, Memphis (EV)
    2013: Chicago, OKC
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Lexington, chicago x2
  • Options
    red mos said:

I think the "we belong together" tag is from a Ricky Lee Jones song of the same name.

Ed has done various tags in black over the years, and as we all know, Black may not always have a tag in it.

Good. Like I said, I've always wanted to believe the tag was from the RLJ song, which is a long-time favorite of mine. A possible, occasional nod to that RLJ song makes Black even more perfect for me. Even if it's not true, I'm going with it.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited March 2014
    Actually to add to my post above, it is actually written in the soundtrack liner notes for the PJ 20 soundtrack, that it comes from the RLJ song as the unplugged version of "black" is the first time the "we belong together" tag had been done.. I think it was the very first time Ed added it to black.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    whoa, so it's actually true, confirmed in the PJ20 liner notes.... thanks for that, made my day
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,728
    red mos said:

Ed has done various tags near of black over the years, and as we all know, Black may not always have a tag in it.

That's nice to know - I hadn't ever heard that song, but listening now, and it's a really nice song. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1wpOS2HCk
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    isn't it though? glad you posted that link, I'm listening now. that album Pirates is really good.... ahead of its time for 1981, I think
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pittsburgh 2013 it was "DID we belong together"
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,862
    Wow, that Ricky lee Jones song is terrible.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert