Options

Vedders political partisanship reflected in refusal to tour conservative south

dirty irish 86dirty irish 86 Posts: 1
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Vedders political partisanship reflected in refusal to tour conservative south? any believers?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    Vedders political partisanship reflected in refusal to tour conservative south? any believers?

no, there are conservatives everywhere, and even in the South, the big cities are pretty liberal or at least moderate. If I member right, Atlanta loves them some Pearl Jam.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    sweet adelinesweet adeline Posts: 2,211
    he went to san diego.
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    west coast tour technically...so, one could say he refused to tour the northeast and midwest then too, right?
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000

English please.... Hahahahaha.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    No. He said it's because of you.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    If that is the case he isn't behaving very liberally at all. Aren't we supposed to love and understand everyone regardless of our differences in opinion? Surely Ed isn't so childish and closed-minded as to let his political views keep him from touring an entire region of his own country!!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    If that is the case he isn't behaving very liberally at all. Aren't we supposed to love and understand everyone regardless of our differences in opinion? Surely Ed isn't so childish and closed-minded as to let his political views keep him from touring an entire region of his own country!!
    Yes, surely... ;)
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    How about they won't get 10,000 people to show up at one of their shows...like in New Orleans and Memphis during the 2000 tour. Maybe it's not Ed and the band being childish, but the fact that no one in the dirty south wants to go see them. (See also: the slow tix sales in the Southeast on this tour).
  • Options
    EvilRabbitEvilRabbit Posts: 286
    Is there a rule somewhere which says Conservatives can't get on a plane? After all, they have all the money don't they? ;)

Conservatives want PJ to play the South then they heckle Ed for spouting his views (his right). It's no wonder he appears to say "fuck 'em."
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    How about they won't get 10,000 people to show up at one of their shows...like in New Orleans and Memphis during the 2000 tour. Maybe it's not Ed and the band being childish, but the fact that no one in the dirty south wants to go see them. (See also: the slow tix sales in the Southeast on this tour).
    My friend, I was merely posting a light-hearted reply to the question which was posed the the original poster, which was essentially: Has politics kept PJ out of the South?

So, now that you see what I was getting at, don't you think staying out of the south based on politics would be a tad childish and not very liberal at all?

If it's money, that's fine....'dem bruthas gots to have steaks in the freezer too
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:

You got the numbers for those shows?

tampa and columbia only have top tier tickets left. And fan club sales don't reveal how the show is going to sell in those regions.
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    politics have nothing to do with it, the worst reaction the band has ever gotten to anything Eddie has done during a show was during Bushleaguer in uniondale NY in 03. Everyone knows that, if politics were the reason, they would stay out of ny too. The band cares about money now, way to much, sad but its true, and if they don't sell atleast 10,000 tickets at a certain venue, they aren't playing it.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    If anything I would think Ed would want to tour where the most opposition was to try to change their minds. So no, I don't think this is the reason that PJ hasn't toured the south in recent times.

Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    i try to stay out of the south myself. Good lookin out guys
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • Options
    this is fully one of those threads where the thread starter stirs some shit and doesnt come back into the thread again.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    ashtrayrockashtrayrock Posts: 167

Why just vedder? He's not the whole band. I think Stone gets a say too! ;)
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    TheGossman wrote:
    politics have nothing to do with it, the worst reaction the band has ever gotten to anything Eddie has done during a show was during Bushleaguer in uniondale NY in 03. Everyone knows that, if politics were the reason, they would stay out of ny too. The band cares about money now, way to much, sad but its true, and if they don't sell atleast 10,000 tickets at a certain venue, they aren't playing it.

that's all well and good, but there are plenty of venues in the south I'm sure will sell out.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Zanne wrote:
    If anything I would think Ed would want to tour where the most opposition was to try to change their minds. So no, I don't think this is the reason that PJ hasn't toured the south in recent times.

Peace

You're right. Most people get their political opinions from rock stars. Myself, I became conservative because I went to a Ted Nugent show.

Maybe I need Ed to set me straight. ;)
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    potluck wrote:
    i try to stay out of the south myself. Good lookin out guys

oh yea, because everyone knows that sioux falls south dakota is where the party's at!
  • Options
    potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    Dollpartz wrote:
    oh yea, because everyone knows that sioux falls south dakota is where the party's at!

u ever been?
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • Options
    homeratbathomeratbat Posts: 219
    the just don't sell well in the south if they sold out every venue they would tour there...although i think it is very strange for them to not tour the south in years (a full tour anyway) they should play smaller venues if they can...but it comes down to $$ you wouldnt go to work if you were losing money on the deal and with travel and expenses i bet they end up losing $$ in the south
  • Options
    homeratbat wrote:
    the just don't sell well in the south if they sold out every venue they would tour there...although i think it is very strange for them to not tour the south in years (a full tour anyway) they should play smaller venues if they can...but it comes down to $$ you wouldnt go to work if you were losing money on the deal and with travel and expenses i bet they end up losing $$ in the south

this is a myth. Just don't play middle of nowhere places like Birmingham, Alabama and what not.

Every show I've ever been to in Texas has been sold out. Every one. They could play one damn date in Dallas and it would sell out. You'd also draw folks from Oklahoma City to that.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

I think it has more to do with the south sucking in general. He wants to go there as much as everyone else.......not at all.
  • Options
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    You're right. Most people get their political opinions from rock stars. Myself, I became conservative because I went to a Ted Nugent show.

Maybe I need Ed to set me straight. ;)

There's a chance here that I am not able to convey my true thoughts in a text based medium. I think you misconstrued what I was saying. Not that people get their political opinions from rock stars as much as people really don't have their own political opinions at all and just do what their parents did before them. Outside influence can sometimes cause a person to look at what these politicians stand for themselves and make informed decisions when choosing a candidate to vote for and not just following family tradition.

I have to admit, I somewhat resent your implication that I am a lemming and would follow Ed off the edge of the flat earth. ;)

Peace
    Just me
  • Options
    what really happened was the guys all watched Deliverance in their hotel room one night while on tour and afterwards they all agreed to never play the south ever again!!

Ed's worried about his "purty mouth" :D:D:D
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Tackalac wrote:
    I think it has more to do with the south sucking in general. He wants to go there as much as everyone else.......not at all.

don't be a tool. read much?

http://www.nysun.com/news/national/us-population-shift-again-favors-south-west

DALLAS — Four Texas metropolitan areas were among the biggest population gainers as Americans continued their trend of moving to the Sun Belt in 2006 and 2007, according to Census Bureau estimates released yesterday.

Dallas-Fort Worth added more than 162,000 residents between July 2006 and July 2007, more than any other metro area. Three other Texas areas — Houston, Austin, and San Antonio — also cracked the top 10.

Atlanta saw the second-largest population jump with just over 151,000 new residents. Phoenix was third with more than 132,000, and was followed by Houston, Riverside, Calif., Charlotte, N.C., Chicago, Austin, Las Vegas, and San Antonio. Of the 50 fastest-growing metro areas, 27 were in the South and 20 were in the West. Two were in the Midwest, one — Fayetteville, Ark. — straddles the South and Midwest and none was in the Northeast. Detroit lost more than three times as many people as any other metro area — its population declined more than 27,300. Other areas losing more than 5,000 people were Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Ga., Youngstown, Ohio, and Buffalo, N.Y.

Experts credit much of the growth in the South to relatively strong local economies and housing prices that are among the most affordable in the U.S.

“People are running away from unaffordable housing, from the economic slowdown,” a state demographer in Texas, Karl Eschbach, said. “I would expect Texas to stay at the top of a slowing game.” According to figures compiled by Mr. Eschbach, 16% of Americans who moved to other states between July 2006 and July 2007 came to Texas, which led the nation for the second straight year in that category.

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    drsluggo wrote:
    Yes, surely... ;)

DON'T CALL ME SHIRLEY!
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    Why just vedder? He's not the whole band. I think Stone gets a say too! ;)
    blame stone...it's all stone's fault :p
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    OpenOpen Posts: 792
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    Is there a rule somewhere which says Conservatives can't get on a plane? After all, they have all the money don't they? ;)

Conservatives want PJ to play the South then they heckle Ed for spouting his views (his right). It's no wonder he appears to say "fuck 'em."

I dont think it's outrageous for those in the south to be calling for shows. It's been about 5 years now since they were here last.

Not everyone in the south is conservative; especially those in the demographic that would go to a concert. We need to stop generalizing; it probably has to do with ticket sales more than anything.

If anything the non-conservatives in the south should be rewarded with shows b/c we are the ones down here offering opposing views....

Also, in Cornice, at the church the guy asked why did you decide on our city and Eddie replied something along the lines of "I go where they tell me."
  • Options
    iiseeiisee Charlotte, NC Posts: 485
    Duh....They were here on early LaPlaooosa tours....and the No Code tour (legendary Charlotte show)....Charlotte again in '00 and '03....And as an actual 'Charlatan' I was at them all. Point is... Charlotte is one of the most conservative large Southern Cities and those shows have all be highlights of those particular tours (check the boots)....Maybe hold a bit more weight in an election year....but not much!
    8/25/92 – Charlotte, NC
    10/4/96 – Charlotte, NC
    8/4/00 – Charlotte, NC
    4/16/03 – Charlotte, NC
    9/5/05 – Edmonton, Canada
    6/16/08 - Columbia, SC
    6/17/08 - VA Beach, VA
    6/26-27/12 - Amsterdam, NL (I and II)
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Feild, Chicago, IL
    10/30/13 - Charlotte, NC
    11/22/15 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil