Transmission fluid leak...

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited February 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey all,
I know the basics and then a little bit more about automobiles...I took my car to get the oil changed recently and was told that there is a significant leak in the tranmission fluid...

Of course, there probably could be a number of reasons why...but, just curious if anyone here can help me figure out how to fix it, and/or how much I'm looking at to take it in for the repair...

I haven't had a mechanic look at it yet, so i don't know the exact problem under the car...
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    if there is a significant leak, how is your level when you put the stick in there and actually test it?
    have you seen a spot on the ground where you park? I'm not the expert, but my husband is. He is not a mechanic but he knows how to work on cars.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    iluvcats wrote:
    if there is a significant leak, how is your level when you put the stick in there and actually test it?
    have you seen a spot on the ground where you park? I'm not the expert, but my husband is. He is not a mechanic but he knows how to work on cars.

I haven't been seeing spots, and I've yet to check the level :oops:,

I don't know whether it leaks while sitting, or jsut while running...but yeah, I guess I'm not even sure if there IS a leak, but if so...I'd like to know how to go about it without getting raped.

We've been having so much car trouble lately it's really pissing me off....fuck automobile maintenance, I'm very close to getting a bus pass. Once I start school in a month, I get a free bus pass, so I'll be taking advantage of that.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    Hey all,
    I know the basics and then a little bit more about automobiles...I took my car to get the oil changed recently and was told that there is a significant leak in the tranmission fluid...

Of course, there probably could be a number of reasons why...but, just curious if anyone here can help me figure out how to fix it, and/or how much I'm looking at to take it in for the repair...

I haven't had a mechanic look at it yet, so i don't know the exact problem under the car...

where did you get it changed?
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm guessing a seal for the drive shaft output.

maybe a loose bolt

torque converter.

purely guesses since i have not seen it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Hey all,

where did you get it changed?

A chain of lube and maintenance shops called Grease Monkey. I stopped going to Jiffy Lube a while ago, and I won't even bother with Wal-Mart...I've only had problems with both...

I checked my fluid last night, and this morning and it's reading low. Jesus, I hate auto maintenance...it always happens to strike at the worst fucking time. On top of that, I find it difficult to trust any mechanic. :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • It must be tranny time! (see Saturn Ion thread)

What year and make/model is the car?
    Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
    ~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    In my experience it's always a problem with a seal. They don't cost that much to replace. Depending on how old your car is or how many miles are on it, it seems like every car reaches a point where everything starts to go to hell all at once. Usually between 50,000-75,000 miles.

If you can find someone you trust, have them crawl underneath and take a look. You'll be glad you did. My neighbor pointed out 5 or 6 things on my car. All total it cost me about $600-$700 to get them all fixed, but that's far far less than what it would cost me had the problems gone unnoticed until the car broke down.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    It must be tranny time! (see Saturn Ion thread)

What year and make/model is the car?

2003 Honda Civic, and seeing that I recently watched '40 Year Old Virgin', I don't know if I like the term 'tranny' at the moment. ;)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    HeavyHands wrote:
    In my experience it's always a problem with a seal. They don't cost that much to replace. Depending on how old your car is or how many miles are on it, it seems like every car reaches a point where everything starts to go to hell all at once. Usually between 50,000-75,000 miles.

If you can find someone you trust, have them crawl underneath and take a look. You'll be glad you did. My neighbor pointed out 5 or 6 things on my car. All total it cost me about $600-$700 to get them all fixed, but that's far far less than what it would cost me had the problems gone unnoticed until the car broke down.

That's what I'm working on right now. Found a shop that'll look at it for free ($75 labor if I have him fix it). Dealer wanted a $90 diagnostic test (suck my ass, Honda Dealer).

I also work with a guy that is pretty automotively inclined, so I'm trying to see if he can take a look for me to at least determine the problem.

I've said it before, and I'll gladly say it again: Fuck automobile maintenance. In general, fuck automobiles sometimes.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    you did check the fluid with it warm and the engine running right?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    you did check the fluid with it warm and the engine running right?

Yeah, I wasn't sure how I needed to check the fluid, so I did both cold/not running and warm/running....either way it's low.

I'm taking to a shop tonight though for a free inspection. Honda can kiss my ass with that $89.99 diagnostic test..
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    and.......
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Tranny fluid.

mmmmm.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    where's Cav? maybe his dipstick is busy today....
    81 wrote:
    and.......

Damn, old thread. I think I remembered what happened here... if I remember right, it had a bad seal... it was a cheap fix. :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,910
    81 is extremely bored. been resurrecting ancient history. feeling nostalgic I guess.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    mickeyrat wrote:
    81 is extremely bored. been resurrecting ancient history. feeling nostalgic I guess.

dang you 81! got me again.
    it's important that threads get closure.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    it's important that threads get closure.

This would've been a great subject to be integrated into Cavstarr's "The Car Guy" thread. :think:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    if I remember right, it had a bad seal... it was a cheap fix. :?

Told you.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    HeavyHands wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Told you.

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    HeavyHands wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Told you.

Don't you love it when you're able to say that? :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    HeavyHands wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Told you.

Don't you love it when you're able to say that? :lol:

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg