Options

The speed/tempo of songs live

coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
edited May 2008 in The Porch
I wanted to know what the opinion was regarding songs played live. I know they speed up a lot of their songs live. I like some of them faster than the studio versions, but I also dislike some of the songs when they are played at breakneck speed. I was listening to all of the boots I have from 1995 (my favorite tour), and could not believe how much more I liked the way some of the songs were played compared to the recent tours. Corduroy, Evenflow, Animal, Last Exit, to name a few, were sped up and sounded fantastic. In fact, The version of Go Night 1 in Salt Lake City is SLOWER than normal and it is by far my favorite version. Last tour, sometimes the Avocado songs were really fast and they were hard to enjoy. Oh well, enough of my rant. If anyone read through all of this I would like to know others' opinions. Peace
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    venmosvenmos Posts: 29
    Some of the songs sound good fast, but I would like to hear them normal tempo as well. Evenflow seems kinda butchered when played fast as the riff is changed to suit the tempo. Listening to the Atlanta gig from '94, thats how I want to hear them play some songs.
  • Options
    wwfairfieldwwfairfield Posts: 216
    it's called "mood"

and personally i don't think they like their early crap very much and prolly play because they have to
    so they just blow through it
  • Options
    it's called "mood"

and personally i don't think they like their early crap very much and prolly play because they have to
    so they just blow through it

So how do you explain them speeding up songs from Avocado?
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Evenflow has gotten too fast. Animal has slowed down. DTE is even getting a little fast for me. All of avocado is played too fast. Overall they need to slow down for the most part.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    wwfairfieldwwfairfield Posts: 216
    So how do you explain them speeding up songs from Avocado?

yeah ...that's not very good either

pearl jam starts at vitalogy and apparently ended with riot act
    all the rest brings shame to the band and their fans
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    yeah ...that's not very good either

pearl jam starts at vitalogy and apparently ended with riot act
    all the rest brings shame to the band and their fans

Oh yes! I feel great shame listening to legendary albums (Ten and Vs.).

Avocado wasn't bad itself IMO...but yes...they need to slow some of their stuff down live.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    "Mood" is correct. When you're up on stage and the adrenaline is flowing, you tend to play songs a little faster. The wierd thing is, you don't notice it when you're up there.
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    maybe it lets them get a few more songs in...

Just bought a boot from 1992 - sounded so bizarre, like slow motion. But, I know what you mean, a lot of songs are too fast. "Save You" is usually one of them.
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    maybe it lets them get a few more songs in...

Just bought a boot from 1992 - sounded so bizarre, like slow motion. But, I know what you mean, a lot of songs are too fast. "Save You" is usually one of them.

If you listen to the 03 boots, the tempo was pretty good then. But in 05 and 06, they've really upped the tempo.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    coach pjcoach pj Posts: 215
    If you listen to the 03 boots, the tempo was pretty good then. But in 05 and 06, they've really upped the tempo.

I totally agree. I just listened to some of the boots from 03 and they do sound great. The VFC tour sounds great also. The last tour sounds really fast. I just like them live so much, it is just too bad that they do not just play the songs close to the tempo of the originals. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I blame Matt....

BUT keep in mind that they are trying to breeze through as many songs as possible in one night... ya know ya gotta make good time.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Honestly, i dont understand the whole "oh lets blame matt" garbage. Have you ever listened to '92 versions of porch? yes nineteen ninety two versions, listen to stones riff, its fast as FUCK even then. I doubt matt has anything to do with it. especially since barely any of PJ's songs start out with a drum intro. Don't blame matt, blame whoever is starting out the song, which most likely ISNT matt.

anyway, evenflow can be played at 300% faster for all i care, we've ALL heard that song enough.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    coach pj wrote:
    I wanted to know what the opinion was regarding songs played live. I know they speed up a lot of their songs live. I like some of them faster than the studio versions, but I also dislike some of the songs when they are played at breakneck speed. I was listening to all of the boots I have from 1995 (my favorite tour), and could not believe how much more I liked the way some of the songs were played compared to the recent tours. Corduroy, Evenflow, Animal, Last Exit, to name a few, were sped up and sounded fantastic. In fact, The version of Go Night 1 in Salt Lake City is SLOWER than normal and it is by far my favorite version. Last tour, sometimes the Avocado songs were really fast and they were hard to enjoy. Oh well, enough of my rant. If anyone read through all of this I would like to know others' opinions. Peace
    For me, I wish they would slow "Corduroy" down and play it like the 95 tour. It still sounds damn good though. I'd just like to hear it played closer to studio version like 1995.
    I'd love to hear e flow at tempo too, but it still rocks I 'd just love to hear it like back in the day style.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    It's not Matt, songs that start w/ guitar are started too fast too.

gtf
    SOLAT
    save you
    rvm

etc
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    given to fly is one of the songs that i think sound MILES better when played faster.

The RA tour had a slowed down version of Black - it was far too slow in my eyes, they have that better than theyve ever done it imo.

but when i'm at shows the fast pace is something i prefer on heavy songs..but on something like Dissident or Tremor Christ itd be nice to hear them pace themselves.
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    GTF is def too fast, you lose something in the recent versions. I think the version for Live on Two Legs is probably the fastest it should be.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    Whippin - the faster the better
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    coach pj wrote:

I think people play songs faster after a while because they get physically easier to play over time and so to re-capture the original feeling of energy-- they unconsciously end up going faster.

Sometimes it makes it more exciting, but it does seem to make it difficult to get the words out quick enough sometimes. At least, I've noticed that about Even Flow on occasion.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Smellyman wrote:
    It's not Matt, songs that start w/ guitar are started too fast too.

gtf
    SOLAT
    save you
    rvm

etc

thank you.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I know Matt doesn't start all of the songs, but do you think that they play faster because they know Matt will play more fast when he comes in?
  • Options
    I know Matt doesn't start all of the songs, but do you think that they play faster because they know Matt will play more fast when he comes in?

No.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    i do prefere the earlier pearl jam....they seemed to have more funk

especially even flow
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    coach pj wrote:
    i love the way DTE sounds live. Its a bit faster live which makes t more......"rock out-able". The studio version i dont care for. LOVE the way PORCH and WHY GO sound in warped speed too! My favorite though is speed WASH!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    wonder if we'll ever get speed wash again.

Solat sounds fast like on the Gorge box set when I first heard it is when I realized it, while ususally at the show I wont notice as much.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...