Options

Backspacer Artwork?

awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
edited July 2009 in The Porch
Is anyone else really excited to see the Backspacer Artwork?

I am half as excited for it as I am for the new record!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    Yeah it should be great.....
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    well it has to be better than last album that's for sure.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    there's still a lot of fruit left they could put on the cover!
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    okay lets slow down here, as an Art teacher I can tell you the cover art I am seeing of the Vitalogy wannabe guy is way below standards, even for Ames Bros. posters! I don't care who drew it it is not very good so far as to be worthy for an album cover. Yeah as I state below sure there is symbolism behind it, but they could do way better than that cartoon drawing of a cover.

Avocado had some amazing artwork INSIDE. Yeah the Avacado was pretty lame as far as face value, but take some time to think of any symbolism it may have had.

I guess we can be anxious for art and music
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited July 2009
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    okay lets slow down here, as an Art teacher I can tell you the cover art I am seeing of the Vitalogy wannabe guy is way below standards, even for Ames Bros. posters! I don't care who drew it it is not very good so far as to be worthy for an album cover. Yeah as I state below sure there is symbolism behind it, but they could do way better than that cartoon drawing of a cover.

Avocado had some amazing artwork INSIDE. Yeah the Avacado was pretty lame as far as face value, but take some time to think of any symbolism it may have had.

And as an art teacher you should already know that art is subjective. ;)

The cartoon artwork is pretty simplistic, but has a mood about it.. I'm no art teacher, but have experienced seven years of college art before I settled on a graphic design major.. But really, art doesn't require training, just thought and imagination.. fortunately for us, Pearl Jam has put some thought and not just their pretty faces with a flashy backgrounds into their covers ..so far. 8-)
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027

do you even like this band? show me one post where you have said anything, anything at all positive and i will apoligize.

I'm not trying to be a dick at all. It's just that I'm pretty excited for this record, and I have been reading almost every thread about it. It just seems like you my friend post something negative and shit on everyones party in almost every one of them.

if not, sorry.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:

my nephew when he was 16 was in his graphic arts class. he turned in his final project and got a C on it. His "art teacher" kept going on and on in front of the whole class how he "phoned it in" for the last two weeks of the school year. That "phoned in " project is what got him a scholorship and now he helps design logos and cover art for bands. just sayin'.

i have all the respect in the world for you that you are a teacher. with that being said, art is so subjective that really, i see your roll more as trying to inspire art, not judge it. guess what i'm saying is, just because you are an art teacher, dont mean really anything. because its all up to the person looking at the art.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:

And as an art teacher you should already know that art is subjective. ;)

just saw this after my rant. ;)
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    That's why I could never become a teacher, my personal opinion would interfer with my teaching agenda. And I have a strong belief that if a teacher is teaching their opinion, they are cheating their students out of their own.
  • Options
    Yes I am well aware art is subjective, my point is the artwork shown so far, is below their normal standards. I think based on previous art endeavors they have taken from posters to albums etc, this is one of the worst artistic statements they have produced with their name on it. With their clout/money/history better quality than that can be achieved from a graphic standpoint.

Now if backspacer has to do with something like simplifying things, getting back to more basic ideas than the art style chosen symbolically makes perfect sense. I think all the graphic artists commenting would agree that the art shown is not too great if representing a human versus a plastic model we used to see in science class (it may very well be one of these).

The typewriter key font is nice ,done is a style trying to emulate realistic old typewriter keys (down to the rust on the metal), then you have this comic style dummy with a shadow behind it emulating some sort of blade, pendulum or scythe in a stylistically contrasting way. I don't think it works based on what I am seeing. Again if we dig deeper and find that the educational value of this dummy helps some person fix things so to speak it makes sense in that way, but still not in the opposing styles.

so if it makes you feel better in my opinion the art is weak, which is pretty much what I said in the first place. Based on what I see on a daily basis an above average high school student could produce something better than this.

In the end it doesn't really matter since this is what they chose. I would rather see a Klausen design or something by emek than this family guy science class prop
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I think I'm probably one of the only people who loved the avocado album art... :|
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    That's why I could never become a teacher, my personal opinion would interfer with my teaching agenda. And I have a strong belief that if a teacher is teaching their opinion, they are cheating their students out of their own.

you learn to analyze things based on assignment requirements, individual skill of the student, effort put into it, originality, and other variables. Very rarely do you just look at something and give it a grade without some checks and balances in place. It certainly is not easy. However if I ask you to draw your hand realistically, you can fairly analyze any of them based on a rubric. When you get into symbolic and abstract art it become much more difficult to quantify it. Can you ever really eliminate opinion in it? No, but can you in a writing, or a song composition as well? Other than Math and Science very rarley is their not opinion involved.
  • Options
    I think I'm probably one of the only people who loved the avocado album art... :|

nope. i loved how simple it was.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Yes I am well aware art is subjective, my point is the artwork shown so far, is below their normal standards.

sorry, i was not trying to be a dick or say that you being a teacher meant nothing. going back and reading my post , i can see if i came across like that.

but here, the quote above is my point. how is it below standards ? that right there is subjective. i could think its great. hell, lets face it. the cover of Vitalogy was just a copy of an old book. does that make it great "artwork"? i dont think so. it was a copy. this is new. the artwork for ten is pretty lame in my book, but i can see how the "all hands on" thing is cool for people. i dont know.

"normal standards" to who? you? maybe it is. but not to me.

anyway, its all good. hope you enjoy the music more than you enjoy the artwork.

if anything, i feel good having a real conversation about something, instead of " this is to poppy" or "the length of the album is waaaaaaaaaay too short"

i guess it gives me hope that some things can be discussed on this board still. ;)
    peace.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225

No, I loved it too. Even if it did make the worst album cover ever (somewhere, dunno where). The worst album cover of theirs by far is on Lost Dogs.