Options

new meaning to "Alive" for my family

robowskirobowski Posts: 143
edited April 2008 in The Porch
After my grandmother's funeral last week, I drove my father back home and we were alone for awhile before the rest of the family returned. When we arrived at home, he asked me into his den and told me to sit down. He told me he had something important to tell me and this was something that he wanted to keep quiet within the immediate family. He told me that my grandmother was taken advantage of at the age of 23 by a local constable (policeman) and he was the result of that relationship. He told me that his father had never had any contact with him and was now deceased. He also said that this conversation did not need to be brought up again and this was the last time that we needed to speak of this matter.

Wow! I was shocked - I had been told as a child that my grandfather had died when my father was four years old! (actually he was speaking of his grandfather - my great grandfather). And now I come to find out 30 years later that my family tree has another branch. I have some cousins out there that I never knew existed - my dad said it was pointless to try to contact them as his real father was married at the time he took advantage of my grandmother and would have nothing to do with her once she became pregnant.

I am not sure how to feel - I feel like everything i have come to know is all a lie. And i am so confused about why this was kept from me ? I could tell from my father's voice that this was something that had haunted him his whole life and I didn't want to go off on him because he is the one who had to deal with this. I may not be happy with the way he dealt with it and kept it from me all these years - but in some ways it makes me pity him and appreciate him more as a father. Because he was a good father to me - i respect him for that but i have some lingering pain about the lie I was told. So you can say there's new meaning to the song "Alive" for my family now - I will never listen to it the same way again. The words have more meaning now.
As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
--Jack Lengyel
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    wild story

tough to deal with good luck

as u said the song is gonna have that much more meaning
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    That's some heavy stuff, similar to the lyrics...all I got is WOW...hang in there
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!