Letterman is killing Conan!

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
While I don't think Conan is as funny as he was on his old show...I still think it's better than Letterman.

Anyways, it appears that Letterman is finally winning and it is in part due to the older viewers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/ap_ ... late_night

NEW YORK – There could be a new king emerging in late-night television.

David Letterman's CBS "Late Show" whipped NBC's "Tonight" show in the ratings last week by nearly 800,000 viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research. Letterman generally lost to "Tonight" when Jay Leno was the host, and he hasn't had this big a victory margin since returning from heart surgery in 2000.

A late-night generation gap also appears to be emerging: the median age of O'Brien's audience last week was more than 10 years younger than Letterman's. NBC says that's good news, since advertisers pay a premium to reach youthful audiences.

In the 18-to-49-year-old age demographic for which NBC sells advertising, O'Brien won each night last week, NBC said.

Still, Letterman has won two of the last three weeks among all viewers during which both men competed with original programming. And the "Late Show" received another boost Wednesday with an attention-getting appearance by Paul McCartney.

"We feel we've got the momentum going for us right now and we feel very confident," said David Poltrack, CBS' chief researcher.

He said network executives had privately been hoping that Letterman could gain ground against O'Brien and be able to take over first place in the fall. The situation is still fluid, but changes seems to be happening faster than they expected, Poltrack said.

Significant numbers of the traditional late-night audience have made the switch, even though O'Brien continues to be very popular with young viewers who liked him when he was on a later time slot.

Last week Letterman averaged 3.68 million viewers, compared to O'Brien's 2.82 million, Nielsen said.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• conan will always be better, people just dont realize how funny he really is, i watch his show every night, and its hilarious, most people just watched the first few shows, then didnt give him a chance after that
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,521
    good for dave. he was always so much better than leno.

its funny how things have changed though. for pretty much all of my life dave was seen in the same way conan is today....hip and young. now the roles are reversed.

i like conan too. but i think his new show has lost something with the switch to LA and 11:30. still its nice to have 2 decent choices instead of dave or that hack leno!
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm old? :(
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    good for dave. he was always so much better than leno.

its funny how things have changed though. for pretty much all of my life dave was seen in the same way conan is today....hip and young. now the roles are reversed.

i like conan too. but i think his new show has lost something with the switch to LA and 11:30. still its nice to have 2 decent choices instead of dave or that hack leno!

I agree completely. The only decision that I make in switching between the two is what guests are on. I'm a long time Letterman and Conan fan... sometimes it's hard to decide which to watch.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • FearTheBeardFearTheBeard Posts: 666
    Its a total generational thing! I think the fans that Leno had developed over the years do not understand anything about Conan, so they took the logical route and went over to Letterman. I would say the 50 and overs here.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843

i like conan too. but i think his new show has lost something with the switch to LA and 11:30.

I totally agree. And how many times is he gonna say how much he loves being on the universal studio lot? He turning into a "yes man," towing the company line.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    hopefully nbc doesnt pay too much attention to these ratings... if it takes SHIT like lenos material to win the ratings race then its not worth it... conan still doesnt seem 100% comfortable in the new environment but hopefully that gets better... hes got a few pretty good running gags already... they just gotta keep getting better guests to compete
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,521
    i like andy better as sidekick than an announcer. why didnt the bring that weird old dude with them?
    www.myspace.com
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    i like andy better as sidekick than an announcer. why didnt the bring that weird old dude with them?

You beat me to it Jeagler!

I used to like Andy, but now I pretty much hate him. He seems to try WAAAAAY to hard to get in the middle of things by making comments, etc.
    It's annoying as shit!

Joel didn't come with because he didn't want to move to LA.

I think The Tonight Show is better with Conan, but the show is def. missing something.
    a) Get rid of Andy, or tell him to shut the F up.
    b) Conan needs to get edgy again.
    c) While being in Hollywood, he needs to stop making his show so "Hollywood".
    d) Stop making jokes about LA/California...we've all heard them before.

Just a few.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I've been watching Conan a lot lately, and I am tonight. I'm not sure than Conan belongs in Hollywood, but his show doesn't seem much different. I'm glad he's on earlier, because I can't always stay up past 12:30. I'm very glad Andy is back, because he always has the best lines. He and Conan work well together.

So a lot of Jay's audience is going to Letterman... it doesn't surprise me.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Okay, but Daughtry's on Conan tonight and Jimmy Fallon's got The Jonas Brothers. They both are funny guys but their shows are still outlets for whatever bullshit is peddled these days.
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Okay, but Daughtry's on Conan tonight and Jimmy Fallon's got The Jonas Brothers. They both are funny guys but their shows are still outlets for whatever bullshit is peddled these days.
    yah conans definitely been struggling with the musical guests... i mean last week was wilco vs. the cast of hair :? (hair redeemed itself by disturbingly/hilariously dancing in the audience - going so far as to straddle people and thrust in their horrified faces)

and ya gotta admit that andys butting in is 100x better than paul shafer... i could hardly hear tonights top 10 with paul echoing every word dave was saying... he is the worst

i think max was enough for conan though... dont over do it with the chummy side kick shit

• BRMLAWBRMLAW Posts: 153
    Its a total generational thing! I think the fans that Leno had developed over the years do not understand anything about Conan, so they took the logical route and went over to Letterman. I would say the 50 and overs here.
    That makes sense. NBC must be unhappy about this. But this may be why they gave Leno a ten o clock show. All those Leno at ten viewers could role into Conan at 1130 viewers.
  • BRMLAWBRMLAW Posts: 153
    Kenny Olav wrote:

Jimmy Fallon could be part of the problem. I always tolerated Leno despite his horrible material just to get to Conan. But now I can't stomach Jimmy Fallon. That show is weak. I have actually be turning on the Scottish guy at 1230.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,779
    I like them both
    I miss igotid88
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    How about Paul McCartney on Letterman yesterday!!! That was fucking awesome!!! Terrific interview with paul and then they played two songs on TV from atop the Ed Sullivan Theater marquee.

Then Paul did five more songs for the THOUSANDS of NY'ers gathered on the street, sidewalks, and hanging out of buildings. That's all on Letterman's website for online viewing.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    BRMLAW wrote:
    Kenny Olav wrote:

Jimmy Fallon could be part of the problem. I always tolerated Leno despite his horrible material just to get to Conan. But now I can't stomach Jimmy Fallon. That show is weak. I have actually be turning on the Scottish guy at 1230.

But Jimmy does have "The Legendary" Roots!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • lukinvedderlukinvedder Posts: 203
    I LOVE LETTTEMAN-mind you we dont get conan here so i cant possibly compare! the only time ive seen him is on the triumph the dog dvd which is so fucking hillarious.
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009

• blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    While at times I think that Conan is funny, I just never got what a big deal he is... I don't know, just not my cup of tea.

This rating thing isn't a shock at all... look at Leno's audience demographics, a lot of those people weren't going to enjoy Conan.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    I don't think it really matter that much since I imagine things will change in the fall once Leno's show starts. Either you will have the older crowd watching Leno at 10 and then saying they have had enough of talk shows and going to sleep (which will hurt Dave) or you will have the crowd who likes NBC and doesn't care for Dave watching at 10 and realizing they have had enough talk shows.

I think the big issue once Leno starts is who will get the quality guests, I mean with so many talk shows (especially when you include Stewart, Colbert, Kimmel, Craig Ferguson, Fallon and Carson Daly and a possible George Lopez show) there are only so many interesting guest who are looking to promote something to go around.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I'm not remotely surprised. Conan is far too weird for mainstream America. Maybe in the long-term he'll improve, but he's never going to beat Letterman. Letterman will retire before Conan overtakes him. Also, Conan is funny, but when it comes to interviewing guests, I don't think he can ever top Letterman. Letterman has a knack for it that is pretty unparalleled. He can switch from funny to serious to respectful to confrontational in a heartbeat and do it with class.
    Andy needs to go.

I was watching last night, and again out of nowhere Andy goes throwing in comments.

He cut Conan off mid-joke last night!
    That needs to stop.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    norm wrote:
    i'm old? :(
    :lol::lol: no
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    I have been loyal to Dave my whole life, but in the last couple years he's been getting too political for my taste, so I can't watch him anymore. Now for me it's all Conan, all the time.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • I've never thought Dave was funny, but he's winning the ratings war (for now) for two reasons:

1. People don't like change or getting to know a new host...so some people have switched over to Dave.

2. The Palin controversy gave him a MAJOR boost. There's no such thing as bad publicity, and Dave being a seasoned veteran, knew exactly how to exploit the free pub.

That'll only last so long though...Conan's learning to walk the line between his old show and the new timeslot. Eventually Conan will pick up steam, and people will start tuning in to see what the good reviews are about. And Dave still won't be funny.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    conan has improved from the first couple of weeks.

i watch both.

as for the 12:30 slot, the britsh guy is a riot.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i watch both.

calling a scot british is a dangerous mistake my friend... not to mention they dont sound anything alike :P

sgossard3 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i watch both.

calling a scot british is a dangerous mistake my friend... not to mention they dont sound anything alike :P

Hahahaha! Thems are fighting words! haha!

But yeah, Ferguson is a pretty funny dude!
  • TravisTheSkyTravisTheSky Posts: 615
    Scottish people are British! Great Britain= England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. I could understand, "Don't call him English." That would make sense.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    At first I thought this thread said, "Leatherman is killing Conan!"

I was like whoah, I thought Leatherman was just a song.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?