First time buying an amp..Any help?

None2Fragile10None2Fragile10 Posts: 31
edited July 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys, iv got some money to spend a little over $2000 to be exact. right now im using my friends beringer cab with a line 6 head but i want my own gear.Iv made the decision to go with a marshall tube set up. i just dont know a whole lot and im just looking for some suggestions.If anyone can steer me in a good directon id really appreciate it.Thank you in advance. P.S. i havent totally ruled out a different brand marshall is just first on the list.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    get yourself a bogner :)
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    I guess this is one of the questions where the answer depends on what sound you want to achieve... Do you want a versatile amp that can do a bit of everything or do you already know what sound you like? modern? vintage?
  • I guess this is one of the questions where the answer depends on what sound you want to achieve... Do you want a versatile amp that can do a bit of everything or do you already know what sound you like? modern? vintage?
    i definantly want a more vintage sound. versatile is good. i cant really pick a specific sound i want to reach. im a beginner with not a lot of experience
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    I guess this is one of the questions where the answer depends on what sound you want to achieve... Do you want a versatile amp that can do a bit of everything or do you already know what sound you like? modern? vintage?
    i definantly want a more vintage sound. versatile is good. i cant really pick a specific sound i want to reach. im a beginner with not a lot of experience
    If you're both indecisive and inexperienced, I wouldn't blow the whole two grand on an amp. You can get an excellent all-tube combo for under a grand, such as from fender. And, of course, fender will give you a vintage sound.
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Right. If you're still a beginner, there's a good chance that your taste and your preferences will somehow change in the near future and you'd be stuck with an amp that you're not nesseccarily satisfied with anymore. For example, I know a lot of people who bought a marshall halfstack as their first amp and regretted it later, simply because their taste in sound developed in a different direction. I would second the recommendation to buy a cheaper tube-amp and take some time to figure out what you really want. And Fenders are always a good start.
  • Kelly LeakKelly Leak Posts: 263
    Vintage Fender Tube...The sound will feel like you are playing through Chuck Berry's set-up.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    If you want the Marshall roar, you can't go wrong with the JVM. Mine is 2 channels with 3 modes each. I don't really use the clean setting, but I can go from Zep riffage to Mastodon/Tool level badassiness in an instant.

I can also recommend the Egnater Rebel 20. I run mine through 2 Avatar Celestion Blue 1x12 cubes and it's just a sweet sweet sound.

Since I got the Rebel, since it's 1 channel, I've really started using my volume and tone control to change stuff up. That really broadened the possibilities with the Marshall, as well.
  • You have gotten a lot of good advise here. What kind of guitars are you using? Will you be playing with groups or alone? There are a lot of variables to consider when buying an amp.
  • You have gotten a lot of good advise here. What kind of guitars are you using? Will you be playing with groups or alone? There are a lot of variables to consider when buying an amp.
    Yes and i apprecite everyones input. Im playing a 60' les paul classic.ill be alone for th most part besides buddys coming out to jam and what not. im going to guitar center tomorrow to look at some of the amps suggested here
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I pretty well agree with a lot of the folks so far. Marshalls are nice amps, but they aren't known for their versatility of sound, and the good ones are really expensive.

For a nice tube amp that you can grow with, I've always liked the Fender Hot Rod series, and the Peavey Classic/Delta Blues series. If you're mostly a bedroom player who occasionally jams with a band, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Classic 30, and Peavey Delta Blues 210 are all good tube amps. If you want more wattage to play bigger shows, I'd suggest the Fender Hot Rod DeVille, or the Peavey Classic 50. Both of those come in 2x12 or 4x10 configurations, and the Classic 50 can also be bought in a stand-alone head.

The greatest benefit to all of these amps is that they take pedals REALLY well, so you can really get a variety of sounds from them, especially with different overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals out front. Want a Marshall sound? Get an older Marshall Gov'ner pedal or a ProCo Rat pedal. Want a classic Fender sound? Get an Ibanez Tubescreamer. Want Smashing Pumpkins or Hendrix? Get a Big Muff or Fuzz Face.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Then, for the Marshall tone, pick up the Marshall Guvnor pedal. You won't be disappointed.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    Get a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Then, for the Marshall tone, pick up the Marshall Guvnor pedal. You won't be disappointed.
    this man knows what he's talking about, i have done exactly this and i haven't regretted it! the marshall hot rod deluxe is very versatile and a great tube amp at a good price, only thing it lacks is good dirty distiortion that marshall provides. but get the pedal that he mentioned and it nicely replicates the JVM800 alive/porch type sound

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
    Pappas wrote:
    this man knows what he's talking about, i have done exactly this and i haven't regretted it! the marshall hot rod deluxe is very versatile and a great tube amp at a good price, only thing it lacks is good dirty distiortion that marshall provides. but get the pedal that he mentioned and it nicely replicates the JVM800 alive/porch type sound
    Really glad I could be of help to you.
  • There are some amps that are very good and versatile I can suggest. One is a Genz Benz Black Pearl. Great clean tones and killer distorted tones, too. It can be played at 30, 15, or 8 watts for whatever setting is appropriate for your playing at the time. I tried one out recently and really liked it. A bit pricey at around $1500.00, but worth every penny. Also, look into amps by Rivera. They make 5 or six amps that could fit the bill for your needs. Good luck man. I love trying out amps.
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    I pretty well agree with a lot of the folks so far. Marshalls are nice amps, but they aren't known for their versatility of sound, and the good ones are really expensive.

For a nice tube amp that you can grow with, I've always liked the Fender Hot Rod series, and the Peavey Classic/Delta Blues series. If you're mostly a bedroom player who occasionally jams with a band, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Peavey Classic 30, and Peavey Delta Blues 210 are all good tube amps. If you want more wattage to play bigger shows, I'd suggest the Fender Hot Rod DeVille, or the Peavey Classic 50. Both of those come in 2x12 or 4x10 configurations, and the Classic 50 can also be bought in a stand-alone head.

The greatest benefit to all of these amps is that they take pedals REALLY well, so you can really get a variety of sounds from them, especially with different overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals out front. Want a Marshall sound? Get an older Marshall Gov'ner pedal or a ProCo Rat pedal. Want a classic Fender sound? Get an Ibanez Tubescreamer. Want Smashing Pumpkins or Hendrix? Get a Big Muff or Fuzz Face.

Jerry Cantrell uses a ProCo Rat doesn't he?
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I'm a drummer but bought myself a used amp about 10 years ago and I love it. It's a Marshall tube, I think something like 800 series or something. About knee height and maybe 30" wide. Very powerful mid sized amp, and no effects except low, mid, high plus the pre-amp volume which gives it a great warm rock sound that is authentic.

I barely (I mean barely) play guitar, but I know a good amp when I hear it, and this is one of them.

My friends way back 20 years ago that I used to play blues with loved vintage Fenders. So it does matter on what sound does it for you.

Good luck!
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • well im off to the center for guitars with money in hand thanks again for the help from everyone.ill let you guys know what i came home with :)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395

I believe, and a quick web search pretty much confirms, that Jerry uses amp distortion. I would guess that most of the AIC stuff was recorded with a cranked Marshall, likely a JCM800. It looks like he uses primarily Bogner amps (think Marshall, but WAAAAY better made) as well as a Peavey 5150 (Eddie Van Halen's signature amp from a few years back... think JCM800 with mods).

However, I've always felt that a GOOD ProCo Rat is very similar to the classic cranked-Marshall tone. Finding one of the good Rats is kinda hard these days, though. The older models are better; newer ones use some different chips and aren't the same.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722

I believe, and a quick web search pretty much confirms, that Jerry uses amp distortion. I would guess that most of the AIC stuff was recorded with a cranked Marshall, likely a JCM800. It looks like he uses primarily Bogner amps (think Marshall, but WAAAAY better made) as well as a Peavey 5150 (Eddie Van Halen's signature amp from a few years back... think JCM800 with mods).

However, I've always felt that a GOOD ProCo Rat is very similar to the classic cranked-Marshall tone. Finding one of the good Rats is kinda hard these days, though. The older models are better; newer ones use some different chips and aren't the same.

What are your thoughts of the JCM 800? I believe that is my amp at home. Here's a pic I found online which looks just like it.

4211.jpg
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Well i got the fender hot rod DeVille. i think its pretty kick ass,i havent plugged my Les Paul into it yet but i hooked my old cheap yamaha strat to it and it even made that thing sound good. i love it already and the price tag wasnt too bad either. the guy who worked up there basically told me the same thing you guys told me and said id have a ball with it. also love the look of it. im pretty happy with my choice, ofcourse thanks to everyone
    Well i got the fender hot rod DeVille. i think its pretty kick ass,i havent plugged my Les Paul into it yet but i hooked my old cheap yamaha strat to it and it even made that thing sound good. i love it already and the price tag wasnt too bad either. the guy who worked up there basically told me the same thing you guys told me and said id have a ball with it. also love the look of it. im pretty happy with my choice, ofcourse thanks to everyone
    Congrats! Keep us posted and if you get the GV2 (Marshall Guvnor), you'll get the Marshall growl