Options

ohhh, BACKSPACER is named after a font!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman wrote:
    Maybe it means something about erasing your mistakes... I would find it hard to believe they named an album after a font.

why? the font is the exact same font used on the cover of that single shown on The Tonight Show. Perhaps they got shown a series of fonts for their artwork and upon asking "what is that one called?" someone said "Backspacer".... ohhh cool name... says Stone... "lets call the album that."

hardly outlandish
    so where does the turtle named backspacer fit in? i have never seen a turtle shaped like a typewriter, but who am i to say

now bear with me here a second as this might appear to be somewhat earth-shattering in itsd simple clarity.... ready.... perhaps the turtle was named in tribute to the already named new album....

i know... i know... that kinda simple logic is just tooooo out there.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    dunkman wrote:
    so where does the turtle named backspacer fit in? i have never seen a turtle shaped like a typewriter, but who am i to say

now bear with me here a second as this might appear to be somewhat earth-shattering in itsd simple clarity.... ready.... perhaps the turtle was named in tribute to the already named new album....

i know... i know... that kinda simple logic is just tooooo out there.

Ow! Ow! You're blowing my mind!

;)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    edited July 2009
    benjs wrote:
    I think sums it up - 1407316889_eefe3f77a0.jpg

Great Find!!!
    And there lies your answer
    Thanks for Playing.
    Post edited by Gonzo1977 on
  • Options
    It not named after a font... hahaha how dumb.

prove it Professor Fanboy
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    benjs wrote:

Here lies the answer

i agree... i'm just saying that the font used for the "Got Some" artwork that weird ginger haired guy held up on that show had used the BACKSPACER font.. created in 1992... the new album is named after a font, whether knowingly or not, the font was there first 8-)
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    dunkman wrote:
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    benjs wrote:

Here lies the answer

i agree... i'm just saying that the font used for the "Got Some" artwork that weird ginger haired guy held up on that show had used the BACKSPACER font.. created in 1992... the new album is named after a font, whether knowingly or not, the font was there first 8-)

Inadvertently perhaps...and even that is a stretch.

Considering that Eddie is known to write from a typewriter from time to time -he likely owns one simalar to the one pictured above- the probability of him naming the album after a button on his typewriter is more plausible than him naming it after some obscure font created in the early 1990's.

Eddie is not exactly somone who I picture downloading snappy looking fonts for his PC on a Thursday Afternoon.

Tom Tomorrow likely ran with the typewriter theme and incorporated it into the artwork for Backspacer. I doubt that -like Eddie- he ever heard of this "Backspacer" Font beforhand.

Although the single font does resemble your example...it isn't an exact replication.
  • Options
    rawpixels wrote:
    They were considering calling the album Adobe Garamond, but then decided to go with Backspacer.
    Comic Sans walks into a bar. Bartender says, "We don't serve your type in here."

Ba-dum-bum. http://bancomicsans.com/home.html
    san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
  • Options
    bmwweirdoguybmwweirdoguy Right of Seattle Posts: 228
    rawpixels wrote:
    They were considering calling the album Adobe Garamond, but then decided to go with Backspacer.
    Comic Sans walks into a bar. Bartender says, "We don't serve your type in here."

Ba-dum-bum. http://bancomicsans.com/home.html

I was going to chime in and ask why they hadn't considered Comic Sans as the new album title...
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    It's named after the typewriter key
    >

I've got a large version of that picture as my desktop wallpaper, looks sweet. 8-)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mattcoz wrote:
    It's named after the typewriter key
    >

I've got a large version of that picture as my desktop wallpaper, looks sweet. 8-)
    ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Inadvertently perhaps...and even that is a stretch.

Considering that Eddie is known to write from a typewriter from time to time -he likely owns one simalar to the one pictured above- the probability of him naming the album after a button on his typewriter is more plausible than him naming it after some obscure font created in the early 1990's.

Eddie is not exactly somone who I picture downloading snappy looking fonts for his PC on a Thursday Afternoon.

Tom Tomorrow likely ran with the typewriter theme and incorporated it into the artwork for Backspacer. I doubt that -like Eddie- he ever heard of this "Backspacer" Font beforhand.

Although the single font does resemble your example...it isn't an exact replication.

yeah, i check through all my posts and cant find where i said Eddie downloads snappy fonts... but hey ho... it comes with territory around here...

i'll re-iterate it again... i do believe it was named after the button on an old typewriter.. i also believe that they have since used the font Backspacer to do the artwork, or at least used it as a template... which if they havent is just one super huge co-incidence

the fixer letters....
    http://tenclub.http.internapcdn.net/ten ... red-bs.jpg
    https://www.pearljam.com/max

the backspacer font created in 92/93...

77e6cd97ea59c1442534a03bb50dad.gif
    36_ffffff.png
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    They're not really that similar, apart from both being inspired by typewriters. Of course there's going to be some resemblance, they both have the same inspiration, but they arrived there from different places. It's probably a stretch to say they used that font. The one they're using is heaps better. More likely they copied it off Ed's old typewriter.
  • Options
    My guess is ed was typing out the lyrics for album as he has for the last 4 releases , was sitting at the type writer thinking about it. Then thought the word backspacer was unique was relative to the situation. Nothing to do with the font. The font is also named after the typerwriter.. and the turtle after the album... haha.

The more info that we get about this album the more i like the title. I think the artwork is gonna be great too!
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Backspacer = one who, or something that backspaces (like a backspace key on a typewriter), or to delete something wrong (ala George W.Bush) and all the wrong his administration did.
    The Fixer = Obama (One who fixes).

That's my take on it.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Not everything has political undertones.
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:
    Not everything has political undertones.
    I like the word "undertones"
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    bigbadbill wrote:
    Backspacer = one who, or something that backspaces (like a backspace key on a typewriter), or to delete something wrong (ala George W.Bush) and all the wrong his administration did.
    The Fixer = Obama (One who fixes).

That's my take on it.

very nice. i like that one. :) rather right or wrong, i still like it.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*