Play Star Lake in Pittsburgh 2010

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited January 2010 in The Porch
We all know how much Pittsburgh loves Pearl Jam and it has been way to long since they played this awesome venue. Tailgating is top notch and I'd love to see the boys underneath the stars. They need to return to Pittsburgh and what better opportunity than next summer at this great place?
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Star Lake (Post Gazette Pavilion) has a pretty big lawn so they could sell lots of tickets. There is plenty of parking and the lot clears out pretty quick compared to some other venues.

The security is fairly lax there (I'm working part time with them this summer). They are really there to keep people safe, not to harass them.
  • I would think Pittsburgh would get hit in 2010.

In 2010 I am predicitng:

St. Louis
    Alpine Valley
    Rothbury Fest (Michigan)
    Lousiville
    Columbus
    Pittsburgh
    Washington DC
    NYC x2
    Boston x2

Something like that.
  • OgnitOgnit Posts: 64
    I've actually never been a fan of star lake. I never liked driving out there, not impressed with the layout, etc. I'd rather see them play mellon arena again or if they wanted to do outside PNC park again.
  • Thank You.... Us Pittsburgh people need the jam. im doing chicago and philly, but need a home date
  • Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    PNC Park again would be awesome but I'm open for ANY venue here. Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati would also be cool.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

Ognit wrote:
    I've actually never been a fan of star lake. I never liked driving out there, not impressed with the layout, etc. I'd rather see them play mellon arena again or if they wanted to do outside PNC park again.

I thought PNC sucked after going to the PJ/Stones show in 2005. For the most part, the staff was not ready to handle such a large number of people, maybe because they were used to sparsely attended Pirates games. Many working the concession stands were extremely slow, and some just stood behind the counter doing nothing while many attendees were waiting to be served.

Mellon arena is OK, but they should save that for if they do some final shows there a la the Spectrum. Star Lake works much much better for me. I live in WV, and Star Lake is actually closer to my home than it is to the city of Pittsburgh.
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    PNC Park again would be awesome but I'm open for ANY venue here. Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati would also be cool.
    im with her! i just want some pittsburgh dates!!! we deserve multiple shows :D
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    I'd rather the Mellon again. In general, Amphitheaters aren't as good as arenas.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I mean, I'd take any Pittsburgh date. I just love nothing more than an outdoor concert and have always found tailgating and camping at Star Lake to be top notch.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    I agree that I think we're likely to get hit in 2010 and I'm beyond excited. I say in 2010 we'll see Boston, NYC, DC, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Indy, Alpine Valley, Chicago, Montreal, Raleigh, St Louis, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Denver, Minneapolis and some west coast dates. At least, I hope we'll get the above...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    Wow...someone else who still calls it Starlake! Anyway, I personally hate driving out there. Would much rather see 2 Civic Arena shows. Thinking they may play the Arena as it will probably be the last time they will play that venue. I will be sad when the Arena is gone as I pretty much grew up going to shows there. :cry:
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • BZBZ Posts: 45
    I drove into Pitt for 2 PJ shows, 1 at Star Lake and 1 at Mellon Arena. The Star Lake tailgate was great, but the Mellon Arena show and setting was better. The only downside to Mellon Arena was the overly stiff security. I look foward to driving into Pitt for some more shows. Its about 8 hours from eastern LI.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati would also be cool.

i agree with you.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    NeilJam wrote:
    Star Lake (Post Gazette Pavilion) has a pretty big lawn so they could sell lots of tickets. There is plenty of parking and the lot clears out pretty quick compared to some other venues.

The security is fairly lax there (I'm working part time with them this summer). They are really there to keep people safe, not to harass them.
    I didn't realize that Star Lake is synonymous with the Post Gazette Pavilion, but I was there last month for Phish and thought the venue was great.. I'd be all for that. Don't think a PJ tailgate would be anything like that Phish one though - I've never seen anything like that in my life.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    The name of the venue officially changed to Post Gazette Pavilion in 1999 or 2000, but it will always be Star Lake to many of us locals who were around before the name change.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    NeilJam wrote:
    The name of the venue officially changed to Post Gazette Pavilion in 1999 or 2000, but it will always be Star Lake to many of us locals who were around before the name change.
    Ah, got it, thanks! Either way - great venue. Amazing lawn in particular.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • inmytree1380inmytree1380 Posts: 155
    Good thread, Drew.

Starlake would be a great venue. They played a PERFECT show in 2000 there (my first).

They may not play the Mellon Arena (Civic Arena) in 2010 because our new arena, the Consol Energy Arena, will most likely be ready by then, and that has more seats.

Go Pens!
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II
  • Good thread, Drew.

Starlake would be a great venue. They played a PERFECT show in 2000 there (my first).

They may not play the Mellon Arena (Civic Arena) in 2010 because our new arena, the Consol Energy Arena, will most likely be ready by then, and that has more seats.

Go Pens!

yes, hopefully PJ can break in the new arena next fall
    "Delight in your youth"

GO PITT
    edited July 2009
    FoxyMHMama wrote:
    Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati would also be cool.

i agree with you.

I would like to third that.

benjs wrote:
    NeilJam wrote:

I didn't realize that Star Lake is synonymous with the Post Gazette Pavilion, but I was there last month for Phish and thought the venue was great.. I'd be all for that. Don't think a PJ tailgate would be anything like that Phish one though - I've never seen anything like that in my life.

The one nice thing about amphitheaters is they can sell a lot more tickets because of the lawn. I know a ton of my friends who would go see PJ at Star Lake and just sit lawn, but probably wouldn't pay $20 more to see them at Mellon Arena and sit in the nosebleeds. I just like the overall atmosphere at Star Lake.

I agree it wouldn't be anything like Phish; I don't know of anything that is. That tailgating and overall show was just unreal. However, tailgating at Star Lake is usually pretty damn fun. Tom Petty, DMB, Aerosmith, Jimmy Buffett are always fun there.
    Go Pens!
    Post edited by drew0 on
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    NeilJam wrote:

Yeah, I know a lot of people who still refer to it as Star Lake. There are other venues with a similar story (Deer Creek, Great Woods, Walnut Creek).
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    Still Star Lake to me, too.

For some reason, I didn't quite dig the atmosphere at the Igloo as much as at Star Lake. Perhaps I was still starry eyed for my two Star Lake shows since they were my first two PJ shows, but I don't know... still would like to see another one there.

Doesn't matter how far outside of Pgh it is for me, since I'm already driving back from Philly anyway. :)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    drew0 wrote:
    We all know how much Pittsburgh loves Pearl Jam and it has been way to long since they played this awesome venue. Tailgating is top notch and I'd love to see the boys underneath the stars. They need to return to Pittsburgh and what better opportunity than next summer at this great place?

star lake is not what i would even consider as being "in pittsburg"

my vote would be the mellon

cause downtown is always THE place to be
    I know it is outside of the Pittbsurgh city lines, but it is obviously a 'Pittsburgh vanue'. There's the Pete, the Mellon and Star Lake (and Heinz Field/PNC Park). I'd rather drive 15 minutes and get to Star Lake. Mellon shows are fun, but I just love seeing shows outside more than the arena.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    it rains outdoors sometimes

there's many hotels within walking distance of the mellon
  • Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 859
    Man, I've never seen a bad Pittsburgh show. 98 at Star Lake was my first PJ show ever, been at every one since.

The 05 show opening for the Stones at PNC kicked ass. They still show clips of that at PNC during the Pirates games. Great little warmup before heading over to Philly that next week. :D
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 8/26/24, 9/12/24, 9/27/24, 9/29/24
  • skere26skere26 Posts: 304
    drew0 wrote:
    I know it is outside of the Pittbsurgh city lines, but it is obviously a 'Pittsburgh vanue'. There's the Pete, the Mellon and Star Lake (and Heinz Field/PNC Park). I'd rather drive 15 minutes and get to Star Lake. Mellon shows are fun, but I just love seeing shows outside more than the arena.

My office window is right in front of the Pete...but they only seem to get large country shows and emo teeny pop shows.....Which while we're talking about oakland, i wish PJ played at Laga when it was around :(
    Man, I've never seen a bad Pittsburgh show. 98 at Star Lake was my first PJ show ever, been at every one since.

The 05 show opening for the Stones at PNC kicked ass. They still show clips of that at PNC during the Pirates games. Great little warmup before heading over to Philly that next week. :D

I still call the damn place Star Lake as well and it sucks to get out of there. I agree that PNC was great in 05 - nice surprise after already having the Stones tix and TBD as an opener, LOL. Someone mentioned hating PNC because the lines were long at the concession stand and I wondered, what were you doing at the concession stand during a show that great. We brought our own flasks easily secured and happily avoided the "lines". PJ had the audience so pumped, I could have cared less if Mick just sat on a stool and sang. I remember Ed running the Stones' Tongue Stage length and sides and emptying a bottle on the crowd at each point. He also commented about wondering how the fuck Mick ran it every night, but he made it.
    To those of you referring to the Mellon Arena, I sometimes catch myself thinking where's that and then remembering. It will always be the Civic Arena to me. None of you probably remember the old Syria Mosque in Oakland - fabulous place where they "paved paradise and put up a parking lot". Many great shows passed through there. Will the new Arena even be ready by September 2010 for the Pen's season 10-11?? Damn, I'm hoping for a show here before then, but beggars can't be choosers. :lol:

Hey neighbor, skere26, I'm right down the hill from ya :D:o I won't tell if you won't.
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• skere26skere26 Posts: 304
    FoxyMHMama wrote:

I still call the damn place Star Lake as well and it sucks to get out of there. I agree that PNC was great in 05 - nice surprise after already having the Stones tix and TBD as an opener, LOL. Someone mentioned hating PNC because the lines were long at the concession stand and I wondered, what were you doing at the concession stand during a show that great. We brought our own flasks easily secured and happily avoided the "lines". PJ had the audience so pumped, I could have cared less if Mick just sat on a stool and sang. I remember Ed running the Stones' Tongue Stage length and sides and emptying a bottle on the crowd at each point. He also commented about wondering how the fuck Mick ran it every night, but he made it.
    To those of you referring to the Mellon Arena, I sometimes catch myself thinking where's that and then remembering. It will always be the Civic Arena to me. None of you probably remember the old Syria Mosque in Oakland - fabulous place where they "paved paradise and put up a parking lot". Many great shows passed through there. Will the new Arena even be ready by September 2010 for the Pen's season 10-11?? Damn, I'm hoping for a show here before then, but beggars can't be choosers. :lol:

Hey neighbor, skere26, I'm right down the hill from ya :D:o I won't tell if you won't.

Do you also work for UPMC? I would be alright with us both wasting their time surfing the boards...
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    skere26 wrote:
    drew0 wrote:

My office window is right in front of the Pete...but they only seem to get large country shows and emo teeny pop shows.....Which while we're talking about oakland, i wish PJ played at Laga when it was around :(
    dude if they would play the pete i would go nuts haha. i would throw a HUGE party at my apartment (which is like a block and a half from the pete) the day of the show and invite all u jammers over :D
    No, UofP, skere26. Wouldn't it be funny if all the PJ fans here crashed the university server trying to get Philly tickets? gndcd402 did you email me at my Pitt account last week? The Pete isn't big enough for PJ - 12,500 seats - unless they play 2 nights :D . Good place for an EV solo show though. ;) Saw Bruce there a couple years ago solo during his Devils and Dust tour.