Options

Rural Alberta Advantage- Hometowns

intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
edited August 2011 in Other Music
So Saddle Creek picked these guys up and re released their album a couple days ago. I had not heard of them before (full disclosure i read the review on pitchfork on tuesday and it peaked my interest) so I decided to check them out.

I actually kind of dig this trio. The vocalist does sound a bit like ... ok a lot like Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel, but after 3 or 4 listens the songs really sunk in.

I love the trio in the middle of the album of:
Drain the Blood
Luciana
Frank, AB

Others on the album are very good too. The Air, Deathbridge in Lethbridge, and Edmonton are all awesome too

Really i have been enjoying the entire album. I struggle to catagorize them other then they have that "indie rock" sound. They don't rock real hard, but it is not really all mellow either.

anyone else checked this band out before?
Charlotte 00
Charlotte 03
Asheville 04
Atlanta 12
Greenville 16, Columbia 16
Seattle 18 
Nashville 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    still digging this album so i'm going to bump it once just to see if anyone else tried it....
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Their new album is really good too "Departed" and I saw them last night for the first time and they were great live.

I don't know why you people don't like them :(

They are a great band with really good lyrics.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I like these guys. First heard them last year when I was working upstate in Albany. There was a local radio station (think it was a college station) that would play them quite a bit. Good album.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Man, I remember when you first posted this, intodeep...the name caught my eye (I'm in Edmonton, Alberta), but I didn't end up looking them up...weird that they don't get more hype around here...or maybe I'm just old and out of touch lol...I don't listen to the radio much.

But Tornado 87 gets some play once in a while - heard it a couple weeks back...is it being played anywhere else?

I finally decided to check it on youtube for a closer listen after realizing they're playing a festival in Caglary I'm going to (but will be missing their set :evil: )...wow. :shock: ..very powerful tune; that day is one I will never forget :(
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Gmv9RjraM

I clicked on the song "Edmonton" next (how did I not know about this shit?)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB3ceGXtj_M

He references "purple city"!
    Baby then again
    Under the lights at the Leg
    And we will burn our eyes
    Seeking out these purple nights

:lol:....at the Legislature (Provincial government building) they have these super bright yellow-ish sodium lights on the ground, illumating the building at night...if you stare into them for a minute or so then look at the city skyline, all the lights turn purple...it's like a rite of passage for teenage trippers around here. So cool to see that referenced....

Next click was Drain the Blood....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CaRUiEjofc
    I'm officially hooked....I haven't hit a bad song yet....:)
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:

I love the trio in the middle of the album of:
    Drain the Blood
    Luciana
    Frank, AB

Others on the album are very good too. The Air, Deathbridge in Lethbridge, and Edmonton are all awesome too

Don't know if you've ever looked into what inspired the song Frank AB...this would be his inspiration:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Slide
    I've been to Frank a number of times; the pictures on wiki cannot begin to show how massive the slide was....half the mountain covered that town. It's a really fucking eerie place.

Here's background on Tornado 87 (looks like it's just listed as Tornado on the album) :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_tornado

Loving how locally flavoured his lyrics are...don't hear too much positivity about this place, so his nostalgia towards Edmonton is freaking cool for me :)
  • Options
    Bump to see if anyone else has caught on to this trio?
    I've been following them pretty closely for a couple years now...have seen them twice and have tickets to a show next month.

New album due sept30

First couple tracks are here
    http://m.soundcloud.com/theraa/sets/mended-with-gold

I like both, but compared to some of their other stuff...not blown away...I'm sure there will be at least a few keepers; the first two records were great.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    edited September 2014
    I'll have to check them out. I have been feeling stagnate with my music lately. Haven't had time for any new (to me) stuff for a while. Need to increase the effort!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I see they are coming here to Atlanta again. they were a lot of fun last time.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,777
    Wow,I remember Frank.
    I used to live in Lethbridge and we'd go skiing to Castle mountain or Fernie all the time.
    We'd drive through Frank. That slide is amazing the amount of rock.
    Kinda creepy.

Good music comes from small towns!

Like the band The Smalls from Taber,AB.
    I grew up with this band and I'm going to see them in Victoria two days after my birthday!
    Another really good band. ;)
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    edited September 2014
    RobbyD462 said:

Wow,I remember Frank.
    I used to live in Lethbridge and we'd go skiing to Castle mountain or Fernie all the time.
    We'd drive through Frank. That slide is amazing the amount of rock.
    Kinda creepy.

Good music comes from small towns!

Like the band The Smalls from Taber,AB.
    I grew up with this band and I'm going to see them in Victoria two days after my birthday!
    Another really good band. ;)

Nice! I'm seeing the Smalls on their four night stand at the Starlight Room - their former stomping grounds in Edmonton....they are actually from here, no? I think Corb is from Taber tho....

The Starlight Room used to be the Bronx in the early 90's - love that place, it has a ton of history...practically lived there when I was 18. Nirvana and a lot of other big bands played there before they broke..... I'm also seeing Red Fang and the Rural Alberta Advantage there this month :) Cant remember being this excited for three bar gigs in a long time.

Also...the RAA is based out of Toronto. The singer is from Ft.Mac, but went to school in Edmonton before moving to ON to try the music biz.... that's where all the AB references come from.
    And ya....Frank is quite the place to visit. crazy to think a mountain could just fall apart like that
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    RobbyD462 said:

Wow,I remember Frank.

Have you checked out the RAA?
    They've got another song for you:
    Dethbridge in Lethbridge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFm64JKARGI
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY338YwHXrE

third track from the new album released ....out in 8 days.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,777
    I saw that! Lol
    Your right bout the Smalls being from Edmonton
    Great Band wish they made some vinyls!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Their new album is awesome.

I have been listening to and catching this band live for quite a few years now. Seen them probably 8 or so times and they are always top notch.

Hopefully going to see them when they come through Calgary in October.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,591
    I like this one a lot more than their second. Looking forward to seeing them in November.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,591
    Nice!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    I’ve just discovered this band... I’m always late to the party... but I am digging it.   Checked them out on Spotify (because of the name) and then ordered all their vinyl from their website except Hometowns (sold out). 
    This stuff is fantastic... how are they not the hugest thing in Canada since the Hip?  (Maybe they are... I’m 46 and wouldn’t know lol).