Options

****Please Continue Wristbands for Posters****

SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
edited July 2009 in The Porch
This was genious having known we'd gotten a poster and it would not have to survive the gauntlet of a show to get out minty fresh. Excited to see what happens in Europe if this is protocol.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    and put them in tubes...it was great at the eric clapton/steve winwood show the poster was already in a sturdy tube :mrgreen:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Combine the wristband and tube idea.
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    I've missed the last few tours.. when did they start wristbands for posters?
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    lukin14 wrote:
    I've missed the last few tours.. when did they start wristbands for posters?

last tour...it was a beautiful thing...purchase poster at beginning of show, get writband.....end of show swap wristband for mint print.....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    norm wrote:
    and put them in tubes...it was great at the eric clapton/steve winwood show the poster was already in a sturdy tube :mrgreen:
    really?,,,thats justb great!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    DewieCox wrote:
    Combine the wristband and tube idea.

that would be awesome.
    however, i will be MORE than happy just to have the one poster limit/bracelet system. i really don't need to be charged more for the poster just to get a tube. ALLOW tubes in the venue, and i am more thn happy to bring my own. i did, both times, for ed solo, np. however, i LOVE the bracelet system, especially for NE shows where trying to score a poster for a show you attend can be brutal!

if i may also make a poster request: dunno how others feel about it, but i know that i would much appreciate ONe poster to cover a multiple night stand in 1 city. i don't need 2 prints available, with just a color shift, etc. yea...i know i don't have to buy it.....but i LIKE to have posters from ALL my shows, so if they are offered, i buy. given the tight economy, and really...i'd feel the same no matter what....but with the costs of tix, plus a poster......1 poster for all 3 nights would be awesome!

the italian tour - the one that sucked me into this poster sickness ;) - had ONE poster for all FIVE shows...in the country! :mrgreen: was fantastic! so if the 3 shows for philly turn out to be true...one poster encompassing all 3 nights would be GREAT.

thank you.
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    definitely second this! :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    Sawyer wrote:
    last tour...it was a beautiful thing...purchase poster at beginning of show, get writband.....end of show swap wristband for mint print.....

pure genious... why didn't they come up with this sooner?? I'm sold.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,910
    norm wrote:

Yes! And signed by the whole band! Last December in Montreal, I went to see The Trans Siberian Orchestra show @ The Bell Centre. It was amazing. They had posters to pick up, in tubes, signed by all the artists. I love this print! :)

trans-siberian.jpg

http://www.trans-siberian.com/index-main.php
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Best thread in a long time. :!:
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    DegiDegi Posts: 1,007
    so, i've never been at a pj show and got no poster collection at all, but i'd like to buy posters from the shows i'm going to attend.. tell me sth about the poster situation... you say it can be brutal to get one? why? and why would anybody buy the poster before the gig, it makes absolutely no sense at all... and you guys talk about tubes to put them in, which venue allows you to bring them in and where do you buy them??? what do you do with those while the band is rocking? and btw how expensive are those posters and where do i get a tube from??? :roll:
    (sorry for asking so many stupid questions!!)
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Best thread in a long time. :!:

+ 1 million. :D
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    at the hartford shwos for dmb...the posters were 2 or 3 per person and came in tubes (shitty tubes the kind where the ends fold in, but tubes nonetheless - i still brought my own yazoo to ensure that nothing happened)
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    Agreed.

Wristbands were a great move.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    woundedorganwoundedorgan Posts: 607
    norm wrote:

I agree although it is not going to happen. They have been hiking up the price of posters at the show by like 5 bucks every tour. They should kick in for the tube especially since you are picking up the poster AFTER the show. So no BS about having a tube in the venue from security. Which is another side note, if they sell items like EV aluminum water bottles(aka deadly projectile) at the merch stands why do some security guards give you a hard time about bringing a tube in...

...Steve Winwood oh jeez, don't you mean just the Eric Clapton show ;)
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    woundedorganwoundedorgan Posts: 607
    Degi wrote:
    so, i've never been at a pj show and got no poster collection at all, but i'd like to buy posters from the shows i'm going to attend.. tell me sth about the poster situation... you say it can be brutal to get one? why? and why would anybody buy the poster before the gig, it makes absolutely no sense at all... and you guys talk about tubes to put them in, which venue allows you to bring them in and where do you buy them??? what do you do with those while the band is rocking? and btw how expensive are those posters and where do i get a tube from??? :roll:

folks buy the poster before the show because they are gone way before the show ends. If you really want a poster, put your beer down in the parking lot and line up early at the gate. Take a look around, if you are one of the first 500 peeps in the show, you are getting a poster.

Basically like a horse race, you line up and sprint to the nearest merch kiosk and then the madness begins. I suggest that you relax and not get caught up in all the dicks in line cutting in from of you. Bring cash, posters are about 35$ each, maybe more this year. Wrist bands really limit the guys trying to snag 10 copies each, which is a much fairer way of distributing posters.

Some crazy shit went down a few tours ago with poster flipping. Venue workers were waltzing out with multiple copies, NinersFan was flipping the shit out of Ebay which pissed the 10C off.

You can get a tube from pretty much any office supply or art store.
    Good luck on your poster crusade
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    YoullseeDragonsYoullseeDragons Posts: 2,118
    The wristband thing was great at Camden last summer, what a great system.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,910
    Wristbands were pretty sweet for the East Coast Pearl Jam tour. Ed solo show's though, there wasn't any & you didn't really need one, as the 6 show's I did last '08, you could buy an extra poster coming out of the theater.
  • Options
    Degi wrote:

folks buy the poster before the show because they are gone way before the show ends. If you really want a poster, put your beer down in the parking lot and line up early at the gate. Take a look around, if you are one of the first 500 peeps in the show, you are getting a poster.

Basically like a horse race, you line up and sprint to the nearest merch kiosk and then the madness begins. I suggest that you relax and not get caught up in all the dicks in line cutting in from of you. Bring cash, posters are about 35$ each, maybe more this year. Wrist bands really limit the guys trying to snag 10 copies each, which is a much fairer way of distributing posters.

Some crazy shit went down a few tours ago with poster flipping. Venue workers were waltzing out with multiple copies, NinersFan was flipping the shit out of Ebay which pissed the 10C off.

thanks for your fast reply!!
    okay... that sounds like a lot of action BEFORE the show... so i might have a chance at the berlin show, but i guess i wont be at the venue in manchester before like 4 o clock....
    i really don't understand that... i think having the poster with you is going to suck, why don't they just sell those wristbands? that sounds quite... clever...?? i just imagine myself in this huge crowd, taking care of the poster... doesnt sound like a lot of fun... :cry::cry::cry:
    can't wait for the shows though... :lol::lol:
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    please!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    yeah...i don't mind if i spill beer on my wristband...seriously, they should make the wristband system permanent!

as long as the poster stand guys aren't a bunch of douches like @ MSG...wristbands are the way to go!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Degi wrote:
    Degi wrote:

thanks for your fast reply!!
    okay... that sounds like a lot of action BEFORE the show... so i might have a chance at the berlin show, but i guess i wont be at the venue in manchester before like 4 o clock....
    i really don't understand that... i think having the poster with you is going to suck, why don't they just sell those wristbands? that sounds quite... clever...?? i just imagine myself in this huge crowd, taking care of the poster... doesnt sound like a lot of fun... :cry::cry::cry:
    can't wait for the shows though... :lol::lol:

posters are dead EASY to score in europe! it's completely different here in the states, especially, as mentioned, MSG. EVERY show i went to in europe, NO problem getting a poster....but yes, you buy BEFORE the show if you want to be certain to get it. and, even in the states, posters do not go on sale until doors open, so if you are at a show by say 6 you are a-ok (this does NOT hold true in NYC, but everywhere else...sure, well maybe not philly, haha...but europe, you'll be FINE!)

as to taking care of your poster at the show....see if you can bring in a tube, then it's not much of a worry. many of us simply brought long, plastic bags, and/or put a bunch of the posters together and one of us held em in a knapsack, etc. it Is a pain, but it's not that bad. the reasons for the wristbands here in the states is b/c merch vendors doing underhand things, people buying too many, etc. never saw that problem in europe, but since it Is such a convenience - the wristband system - perhaps they'll give it a go overthere...but we don't know if they'll even do it here again, so who knows? :P
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    I don't think I'll ever get a poster at a show again...too much effort, and have had more than one damaged. I'll just wait for the 10C sale...seems the way to go these days, especially if I"m traveling....

wristbands were a DEFINITE improvement though. For some reason in Camden, though, they wouldn't let you back into the venue after you picked up the poster...I don't know what they thought I would do...give people massive paper cuts?
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    hmmm.. berlin is my first pj show, so i definately wanna buy a poster there!!! what about that 10c poster sale? why dont they sell those at the shows?? *confused*
    i think i got a wrong idea of that tube thing... you gotta hold it the whole time though... what is the fun in doing that?? i guess i will damage mine even with a tube... :lol:
    so when do we now about the wristband thing? will it be announced or do we have to get there and see?
  • Options
    Degi wrote:
    hmmm.. berlin is my first pj show, so i definately wanna buy a poster there!!! what about that 10c poster sale? why dont they sell those at the shows?? *confused*
    i think i got a wrong idea of that tube thing... you gotta hold it the whole time though... what is the fun in doing that?? i guess i will damage mine even with a tube... :lol:
    so when do we now about the wristband thing? will it be announced or do we have to get there and see?

The ones sold through the 10C and at the show are exactly the same...the problem with not getting one at the show is you run the risk of having to resort to trades or ebay if the 10C decides not to sell it online for some reason. There is no guarantee that they will sell it online, but you can damn sure guarantee they'll sell it at the show.

However if the past few tours have been any indication, they will sell it online, with a couple of days notice, and other than maybe MSG, the posters have been very easy to get...so I wouldn't worry with messing with it at the show, but that's just me!
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    okay i DEFINITELY need one... so i got another question!!
    if i'd bring a tube, what size do those posters have? at work we have those tubes in which they sent pictures or some sort of printer stuff, i dont really know...
    wouldnt it be possible to put some sort of strap onto it, so i dont have to hold it the whole time? you know what i think of?
    ohh i'm getting so excited, how am i supposed to wait more than a month now?
  • Options
    Degi wrote:
    okay i DEFINITELY need one... so i got another question!!
    if i'd bring a tube, what size do those posters have? at work we have those tubes in which they sent pictures or some sort of printer stuff, i dont really know...
    wouldnt it be possible to put some sort of strap onto it, so i dont have to hold it the whole time? you know what i think of?
    ohh i'm getting so excited, how am i supposed to wait more than a month now?

The posters tend to be in the 18 inches x 24 inches realm...they def. vary in size, but any tube that can hold something that size will be able to hold your poster...I think if you rigged a strap system up you'd be good. I don't think that would keep security from letting you take it in...

">here</a>.
    or

• Options
    great!!! thank you so much for answerwing all my dumb questions!!!
  • Options
    daily bump
  • Options
    CC9172CC9172 northern new jersey Posts: 124
    10c should just allow you to buy a poster when you buy your tickets. So fan club members get their posters without having the hassle at the show.