What can I do?

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited July 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm OCD. My Roc Pro 700 is a two channel amp. I use the clean channel only. However, having a drive channel and neglecting it is bothering me. Is there a way I can jump my clean channel (and use the tube) or simply disable the drive channel? I know I'm sounding a bit odd but, like I said, I'm OCD.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Aren't we all... :D
    So, if i got the specs of these amps right, these are hybrids, right? Is the preamp tube only working in the drive channel?
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Yes. From what I know, it's just tube drive.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Well, at that point, wouldn't you be better off just using an amp that's completely solid-state? Have you ever played through a Roland Jazz Chorus (JC-120)?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Yeah, it was okay. I don't wanna lose the tone of my Roc Pro, though. It doesn't sound as condensed as the Roland.
    And I assume the drive channel doesn't clean up enough to use it as a clean channel and use a booster for overdrive?
    You're correct. The lowest gain setting is still pretty overdriven.
    Well I guess, at least as far as I can tell, that only leaves you with two options. Either you open the amp and mess with the electronis or you look for a good little tube preamp/booster. As I don't have any experience with amp electronics that go beyond changing the tubes, because that always seemed a little hairy, I cant't give you any advice on that. Sorry. I don't know if you already ruled that out, but maybe you can improve the sound of the clean channel by adding a tube preamp? Maybe that way you can get what you're looking for.
    Actually, I never thought of adding a tube preamp. I should really look into that. Thanks a lot for the idea!
    Glad to be of help. Just got into that for my bass rig and got general idea from there. There are even a few out there that have two or three channels, which could turn out to be very helpful too. The only downside is that this can get quite expensive.
    You could also try swapping out the preamp tube in the drive channel for one with less gain. The tube that's in there is a 12AX7, but you can easily swap in a 12AT7 or 12AU7. That *might* allow the drive channel to essentially become a tube-driven clean channel.
    Ah! right! Haven't thought of that. Tried that with my orange recently and got some pretty good results.
    I'm trying to remember if there is a clipping stage in addition to the tube in the drive channel... not sure.

I do remember that getting to the tube is a PAIN IN THE ASS. If you're not ready to tear the amp apart, I'd take it to a tech.
    Haha, yeah, I've taken mine apart a few times. I have an extra 12AX7 but not any other type. I'll take it to a tech, just because I have no idea how to change tubes. I think this might just be my answer though. You all have helped me so much
    Update: I practiced, using the drive channel on the lowest setting, and using a different tube sounds like a fantastic idea. I'm actually really excited. Thank you all SO much for the ideas!
    Great to hear that it works. Good thing you got a decent result without having to buy a new amp or anything like that.