Options

Any Frank Turner Fans out there?

Comments

• Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    I am so pleased to see peeps discovering this man and his talents! :D
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,239
    I've just downloaded a bootleg from his show in Minneapolis on 23 October from this site. It's one of the best audience recordings I've heard for any act outside of the jam band scene.

http://emptystapes.blogspot.com/2011/11 ... -rock.html

Available in FLAC or mp3.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    been enjoying frank turner for a couple of years now, great (fun) stuff.
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
  • Options
    Recently announced that he's doing some Canadian dates with Joel Plaskett this spring.

I can't wait to see Frank Turner play again, and I think Joel Plaskett's a good match for him. Should be some great shows.
  • Options
    I adore this man, looking forward to seeing him in Wembley though the best gigs of his I've seen - in a pub near where I work way back when, in a dingy club last year and at a local theatre/venue to me in 2009 I think.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Going to see him open for Joel Plaskett in April! Can't wait!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    I think the best shows of his that I've seen have probably been where he's been opening for someone, or not topping a bill, he was excellent opening for the Gaslight Anthem on their tour in spring 2009, and the following year in the Leftfield tent at Glastonbury before the lovely Thea Gilmore.

Bands/artists often seem to give much more to a support slot, I guess because they're trying to win over someone elses crowd. I've also seen him fail miserably as a support act, he lost all bar about 10 from 150 people watching him open for the Levellers a few years back. And now he's selling out Wembley, so I guess those 140 people will now be going "I saw him when..." :lol::lol:

I also have a ticket for Wembley, though it's looking unlikely I can go at the minute.
  • Options
    surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    Saw him open for Social D and Lucero last spring. He was great. He came out later with Ben Nichols of Lucero and they did a bunch of songs together, which was awesome. Kind of shocked to hear he sold out Wembley, as I'm not so sure he has a "stadium" sound, but good for him.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Options
    surforia wrote:
    Saw him open for Social D and Lucero last spring. He was great. He came out later with Ben Nichols of Lucero and they did a bunch of songs together, which was awesome. Kind of shocked to hear he sold out Wembley, as I'm not so sure he has a "stadium" sound, but good for him.

It's "only" the Arena, where PJ played, holds about 12000. I didn't think he'd make the step up to theatres like Hammersmith Odeon (5500) but he did. He also further underlined his hardcore status by having ticker tape (confetti) cannons to fire out into the crowd at the end! :evil: :twisted: :lol:
  • Options
    ilockyer wrote:
    I think the best shows of his that I've seen have probably been where he's been opening for someone, or not topping a bill, he was excellent opening for the Gaslight Anthem on their tour in spring 2009, and the following year in the Leftfield tent at Glastonbury before the lovely Thea Gilmore.

Bands/artists often seem to give much more to a support slot, I guess because they're trying to win over someone elses crowd. I've also seen him fail miserably as a support act, he lost all bar about 10 from 150 people watching him open for the Levellers a few years back. And now he's selling out Wembley, so I guess those 140 people will now be going "I saw him when..." :lol::lol:

I also have a ticket for Wembley, though it's looking unlikely I can go at the minute.

I see what you're saying about opening acts. Saw him open for Social D once, and he was amazing - I had his albums playing in my car for months after that. He puts on a pretty great show of his own too though. Saw him at a small place in Ottawa a few months ago, and I can't wait til he's back in April.
  • Options
    Good show in Ottawa tonight. Can't wait til next time.
  • Options
    I was at the Ottawa show too! Great set! I don't know if you saw me, I was second row in the pit wearing a Sens heritage jersey! Hair spiked up with a beard...

You from Ottawa?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    I was at the Ottawa show too! Great set! I don't know if you saw me, I was second row in the pit wearing a Sens heritage jersey! Hair spiked up with a beard...

You from Ottawa?

Yeah, I vaguely remember someone with a jersey.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i wont sit down
    i wont shut up
    most of all i wont grow up

i totally get that
  • Options
    by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It13YtFTQJU
    nice little surprise
  • Options
    Love that he's getting the recognition he deserves!
  • Options
    Just saw a mini show at The Edge studio in Toronto. He played a killer version of Live and Let Die.
    Got to chat with him after the show... mentioned that I'd seen him open for Social D once before, and asked if it's ever come up to open for Pearl Jam. He said no, but he'd love to do it if he had the opportunity. One of these days, hopefully!

Looking forward to the show at Lee's Palace tonight!
  • Options
    Awww Frankie baby, he's a good chap.
    I don't think he'd ever be asked to support PJ but it's a nice thought.
  • Options
    dottles wrote:
    Awww Frankie baby, he's a good chap.
    I don't think he'd ever be asked to support PJ but it's a nice thought.

Why not. Seems like a perfect fit to me.
  • Options
    yes
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    Seen him twice now
  • Options
    binaural2002binaural2002 Germany Posts: 2,367
    Saw him two days ago in Augsburg and it was - like always - an amazing gig!

http://youtu.be/zBYhhWlCWo4
    Pearl Jam 11 / 306 / 121
    96 Zurich - 00 RaR - 07 Munich - 10 Berlin - 12 Berlin² - 14 Amsterdam² Berlin - 18 Berlin - 22 Zurich
    Eddie Vedder 1 / 27 / 27
    19 Düsseldorf
    Watch my videos on YouTube
    Pearl Jam/ Eddie Vedder Setlist-statistics in Google Drive-document >>>click here<<<
  • Options
    I just saw this topic... Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls and Pearl Jam are my two favourite bands by far, I can't choose. I'm pleased to see that other people share this passion :)
  • Options
    Download codes. Use them and love this man like everyone should.

England keep my bones
    xtramilerecordings.com/content/redeem
    Code: OPL7AR23

The record store day acoustic positive songs...
    umgmusic.com/frankturner
    Code: 6GMkbFnm
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Opening for flogging molly this summer. Seeing them in michigan, looking forward to it. Haven't seen Turner before.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:

Opening for flogging molly this summer. Seeing them in michigan, looking forward to it. Haven't seen Turner before.

Killer showmen. Him and the souls are one of those bands that make you love songs you might usually skip.

• Options
    binaural2002binaural2002 Germany Posts: 2,367
    Malroth said:

I have seen him 7 times. And every time it was a perfect evening. FT is doing a super job on stage. You will love the concert.
    Pearl Jam 11 / 306 / 121
    96 Zurich - 00 RaR - 07 Munich - 10 Berlin - 12 Berlin² - 14 Amsterdam² Berlin - 18 Berlin - 22 Zurich
    Eddie Vedder 1 / 27 / 27
    19 Düsseldorf
    Watch my videos on YouTube
    Pearl Jam/ Eddie Vedder Setlist-statistics in Google Drive-document >>>click here<<<
  • Options
    Resurrecting an old thread...
    We had tickets for Jason Isbell and Frank Turner at The Bomb Factory in Dallas last night, but show got postponed Friday afternoon because Isbell's bass player's father passed away.  Within a couple of hours, though, Frank Turner's people had him rebooked for a 5:00pm Saturday afternoon show at a small (probably 200 people max?) Deep Ellum bar in Dallas, and had tickets on sale by 8:00pm.  Since seeing him was one of the reasons we were going to The Bomb Factory show, my wife and I decided to go ahead and get tickets for this one.

It was a very, very good call.  By the time we got to the venue about 4:30 it was sold out, so we got inside and got a couple of drinks and just kind of stayed by the bar, which ran up one side of the room (we were about halfway back).  It was a good spot since we had no one to our side and we had somewhere to set our drinks during the show, haha.  I walked by the stage on the way to the restroom, and was excited to see that all the band's gear was there - no acoustic set here, despite it being a very small stage.

Anyway, getting to the point, it was absolutely incredible.  Because of the circumstances, the crowd was virtually all his, and was into it 100% - singing all the words, getting all his cues, etc.  A great setlist, with 2 new songs ("Be Kind" and "1933", the second of which had only been played once before and he said they messed (f-d) it up the first time so we got the first correct performance).  During the last song, Four Simple Words, he hopped up on the bar and walked down it (while the bartenders were scrambling to clear it off) until he got to us, sang there for a couple of bars, then proceeded to dive off it into the crowd right over my head - luckily I didn't get kicked in the face, but it was close, LOL!  Also, about 3 songs in, they opened up the garage-style doors at the back (front?) that led to the sidewalk (it was HOT in there, and it was still daylight outside), so the people out there got to see the show, too.  Overall, it was an incredibly high energy, hot, sweaty show, and the band was great and tight.  A tremendous opportunity to see a band in an intimate setting that plays arenas back in the UK.

One last cool story, before the show we were talking to a lady who was a fan of his, but had just moved to Dallas.  She had been in line at the ice cream shop next door earlier in the afternoon (it's one of those fancy high end ones that have a wait), and saw the flyer for the show but that it was sold out. She walked around  a bit and ended up seeing Frank come out of his tour bus, so she went up to him and said hello and as they were talking, he asked if she was coming to the show.  She told him no, that she didn't get a ticket and it was sold out - so he got her name and put her on the guest list, a very nice gesture.  She got a picture with him and said he was extremely nice.

A great experience - he has booked "alternate" shows for 3 upcoming nights in Oklahoma City (tonight), Oxford MS, and Mobile AL so if anyone is close you might want to check him out.