How do you get yourself to practice guitar?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited July 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
piggybacking off my topic on All Encompassing, how do you get yourself to practice guitar everyday, for even half an hour?

It seems like many people have excuses, as I do, as to why they didnt or couldnt practice last night or during the day or whatever.

How do you get beyond the excuses and just do it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,169
    its just like anything else. if you want to get in shape you have to budget time to go to the gym and make yourself go every day. what helps me is being in a band. if i am supposed to learn a song or something it kind of helps to have the pressure of not letting the other 4 guys down and wasting their time ya know? we all hold each other accountable so that we show up at practice prepared. if you want to be a better player you will find a way to make time for it.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • TriumphantAngelTriumphantAngel Posts: 1,760
    piggybacking off my topic on All Encompassing, how do you get yourself to practice guitar everyday, for even half an hour?

It seems like many people have excuses, as I do, as to why they didnt or couldnt practice last night or during the day or whatever.

How do you get beyond the excuses and just do it?
    I think admitting that you are making excuses is half the battle. Don't beat yourself up, it happens to all of us at some stage. Maybe set yourself some new goals and try and make it fun and interesting again. Stick with it if you genunely love it, because trust me, everyone goes through it. Don't listen to people who say 'well if you really love it then that should be motivation itself'. Doesn't work like that. Like everything, sometimes we have to work harder for things we want in life more than we would at another time in our life.

I was pretty young when i started, I needed no motivation, I would just play because i loved it, and there was so much to learn so it was easy to push myself and get better and better. I was like that for years. Life was pretty simple back then as a kid/teenager. Once i got to a reasonably accomplished player, it was harder to stay motivated. Now it seems like my guitar and I are closer together in some aspects, and farther away in some aspects. I've stopped thinking i need to be this awesome technique master, and i've learned to have fun again, and tried to start writing my own songs and becoming my own guitar player. I lost something while I was out trying to save the world, trying to be everything to everyone, and never finding real time for me, and that was a love for my instrument. I think it's just something we all go through and we have to be more disciplined, and recognise that we have to do things differently to get the same out of it. If you truly love it, you will find a way and you'll always come back to it. At least that's the way it is for me anyway.
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Get yourself a reasonable quality guitar. Its always much more fun playing a nice one.

Paul McCartney said something along the lines of. Practice for 15 minutes a day and in 5 years you'll be an excellent musician It went something like that. Always remember that when I don't feel like picking it up.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • I absolutely can't stand practicing on my own. And I hate myself for it. I just get my practice during band practices and rehearsals. It's sad but true.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I have to be inspired. My band is the same way. Usually, we're so busy with other stuff, when we play, it's only once a week. Sadly, we've been on the verge of burning out. However, booking two BIG shows has really added to our morale. If I hear a few songs, they usually get me ready to play. Otherwise, it's just gotta feel right. If I'm forced to play or practice, I'm going to hate it.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    As with any motivational subject (diet, exercise, study), one of the most simple and effective is the "gold star on a calendar" system. Get a paper calendar, hang it on the fridge (central visible location), put a Gold Star on the day after you practice. Once you get a few days, a few weeks of straight Gold Stars, you really won't want to break the streak! It's eerily effecive .... it works!

I'm a big fan of one item up above -- get yourself a REALLY nice guitar. I would then add "and instantly put a ding or scratch in it" to get over that aspect! Toward this end, the "dollar in a jar" method is effective. Put a dollar (or, realistically, a lot more) in a jar each day you practice, or each day whatever -- pay yourself for practicing. That's your "new-guitar fund...." (I'm a big proponent of the advanced financial system: "Don't Buy Shit You Can't Afford" but that's another topic.)

And as mentioned above, join a band, a jam group, set up weekly or monthly sessions, take lessons -- any of these things add pressure for you to "do your work" before showing up.
    [sic] happens
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I was the same way. Had some streaks of practicing, but I would get hung up at a tough point in learning and stop practicing pretty quickly.

However, Justinguitar.com is the greatest guitar teaching tool ever. Justin explains everything from basics/beginner onward in the form of text and video. It is much, much better than any video or beginner book I have seen.

Most importantly Justin structures your practice schedule and gives you exercises to do.

For example, right in the beginning (after tuning, basic theory, changing strings, getting pick out of an acoustic, etc...) He teaches the A, E, and D chords 1 at a time. He shows you how to switch and how mentally to switch. He tells you in your practice time you should practice switching each one A-D, or A-E, or D-E one full minute and see how many times you can do it and write it down. You do them the next time you practice and keep working at beating you record. At the end of the lesson group there are a few simple songs implementing what you have learned and it is rewarding.

I wasnt enjoying practicing before. But with this structure I am enjoying practicing so much I think about it throughout the day.
  • HIwideHIwide Posts: 46
    You have to cut off your own hand if you don't practice. Then again, this is my answer for most things.
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    Best advice: Quit watching TV. Seriously. Quit playing video games. Seriously. Any other time sucking vices, quit. But TV and shit like video games absolutely, indisputeably do the following: waste your time, distract you from more important things, weaken your willpower and lower your creativity. I'm not kidding, not only do I speak from experience, its fairly accepted phenomenon. Stephen King, in his book On Writing makes the same recommendation. Whenever I can manage to give up TV, I am always much more motivated to be more constructive, including practicing guitar.
    All that said, kicking back and zoning out has its place too, and sometimes and play guitar in front of the TV, sometimes even come up with a good riff, or practice some boring exercise.
    Another recommendation. If you find practicing boring, then change how you practice. Learning scales and and running patterns got you crawling out of your skin? Give it up for a while and focus on learning some of your favorite songs and solos by ear. This can be frustrating too, but a lot more satisfying, and really, much more valuable than learning scales. If you want to play like Steve Vai, well, bad news, you gotta practice scales, learn all the little details of music theory and marry your metronome. But on the other hand, you want to play like Jimmy Page? Well, he spent most of his time playing along with his favorite records and only learned to read music later when he had to (when he was doing session work)
    Austicman wrote:

Paul McCartney said something along the lines of. Practice for 15 minutes a day and in 5 years you'll be an excellent musician It went something like that. Always remember that when I don't feel like picking it up.
    That's easy for a guy to say who went to Hamburg, Germany, and performed eight hours a day, seven days a week, for stretches of a hundred days or more in the span of a few years. Now THAT is good practice. (Read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
  • every time you sit in front of the tv, pick up an acoustic and hum and strum...before you know it, you won't even be watching the fucker and it'll be three hours later...
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Best advice: Quit watching TV. Seriously. Quit playing video games. Seriously. Any other time sucking vices, quit. But TV and shit like video games absolutely, indisputeably do the following: waste your time, distract you from more important things, weaken your willpower and lower your creativity. I'm not kidding, not only do I speak from experience, its fairly accepted phenomenon. Stephen King, in his book On Writing makes the same recommendation. Whenever I can manage to give up TV, I am always much more motivated to be more constructive, including practicing guitar.
    All that said, kicking back and zoning out has its place too, and sometimes and play guitar in front of the TV, sometimes even come up with a good riff, or practice some boring exercise.
    Another recommendation. If you find practicing boring, then change how you practice. Learning scales and and running patterns got you crawling out of your skin? Give it up for a while and focus on learning some of your favorite songs and solos by ear. This can be frustrating too, but a lot more satisfying, and really, much more valuable than learning scales. If you want to play like Steve Vai, well, bad news, you gotta practice scales, learn all the little details of music theory and marry your metronome. But on the other hand, you want to play like Jimmy Page? Well, he spent most of his time playing along with his favorite records and only learned to read music later when he had to (when he was doing session work)

THIS.......
    Seriously, just cutting out bullshit activity can really have an effect.

If you're gonna watch tv, watch somethin that you're gonna get somethin out of or put on some tunes when you're watching the game.

Read a book, a magazine, or anything you think will inspire you or can learn something from.

Enrich yourself however you can.

HAVE A GUITAR SOUND YOU LOVE TO LISTEN TO, or several of them

LISTEN TO TONS OF MUSIC>>>>>>I've logged my time learning tunes and developing my influences, but never had alot of patience for practice. Listening to music has had as much or more of an influence on my playing as learning the 80 songs I learned while in a cover band for 5 years.

Not to toot my own horn or say that my advice will work for everybody, in fact it won't, I've received more compliments about my playin in the last 6 months than any other time I've been learning.
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Nowadays I can go without practising for a while and it won't hurt me too much.

Back when I started playing... I'm glad I had a friend to jam with, because that was my motivation to keep at it.

Seriously, getting people to play with is the best way to learn! Jam, write songs (even if they suck)... I learned so much more from all that than from sitting by myself studying scales (although I spent time on that too).
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • scaleloktscalelokt Posts: 35
    Just depends on the reason why Im not practicing. We just finished recording an album and for 2 months I didnt touch the guitar. In that case I think it was just so much praticing getting ready to record that I just needed a break but then I started to miss it so Im back to my normal practicing. Sometimes you just need a break. If the problem isnt that you need a break and you are just having trouble getting motivated, there are a few things you can do. I saw someone mention getting a better guitar, that can help a lot if you dont like the one you have. A better guitar is easier to play, sounds better, and creates some excitement since its new and helps motivate you to play. Same goes for all new equipment actually, get a new practice amp you'll find yourself playing for hours getting a good tone out of it. Even a new set of strings can be enough to motivate you to play for a while. However obviously you cant buy something new everyday to keep motivated. What motivates me to practice a lot is I just put myself in the right state of mind. Maybe it sounds a little depressing, but for me I just think when Im not playing guitar I lead a very normal average life, but when Im playing guitar Im a musician, and that brings me a lot of happiness and satisfaction because being a musician is something special. The guitar is a beautiful instrument, just look at it sitting there, I know its calling out to you. haha Its the best friend you'll ever have give it some love and it will return the favor
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    That thought actually never crossed my mind. Practicing is a part of my life, just playing around on guitar/bass/keyboards/drums/recording etc. is just a part of my day...it's never forced. If i'm home just hanging out, chances are I'm surfing wikipedia/youtube and have a guitar in my lap...it's part of my subconscious at this point
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    That thought actually never crossed my mind. Practicing is a part of my life, just playing around on guitar/bass/keyboards/drums/recording etc. is just a part of my day...it's never forced. If i'm home just hanging out, chances are I'm surfing wikipedia/youtube and have a guitar in my lap...it's part of my subconscious at this point
    +1. It's as second nature as scratching an itch for me to go pick up my guitar. May not be your thing if you find yourself forced to play it, as opposed to naturally finding yourself with a guitar in your lap.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    It's great to practice and to want to practice but sometimes there is a period where I'm burnt out. I won't play. Instead of using the time to play, I use it to catch up on gear news or something like that. As long as I'm still devoting a bit of time to music, ya know? Also, bonding with bandmates, outside of rehearsal is almost essential. Make sure music is fun. If it's not fun, you'll grow to hate it.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It's great to practice and to want to practice but sometimes there is a period where I'm burnt out. I won't play. Instead of using the time to play, I use it to catch up on gear news or something like that. As long as I'm still devoting a bit of time to music, ya know? Also, bonding with bandmates, outside of rehearsal is almost essential. Make sure music is fun. If it's not fun, you'll grow to hate it.
    Yeah!
    I went 3 weeks without a guitar (I was in Europe)... I plugged in for the 1st time yesterday, and It reminded me of how much fun playing was!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Yeah!
    I went 3 weeks without a guitar (I was in Europe)... I plugged in for the 1st time yesterday, and It reminded me of how much fun playing was!

Agreed. 'Burnt out' is a great way of putting it. I think there's more ways to practice you musicianship than just playing. Discovering new music for example, or just picking up a totally different instrument. There's times where I'll just play piano or bass for weeks and when I get back to the guitar, I'll have all these cool new ideas!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
    Definitely. Or sometimes you stuck on the same old shit, and a little time away can help you get a new perspective on the instrument, so you don't always sound the same, or help you break out of habits.
    Definitely. Or sometimes you stuck on the same old shit, and a little time away can help you get a new perspective on the instrument, so you don't always sound the same, or help you break out of habits.
    This is what my band is going through. We're finishing up practicing for a few shows, in August, but we're getting bored with the same tunes. We're excited to start writing.

Yielded: That's such a great idea. I never saw it from that way, before. I just picked up my trumpet, from marching band, the other day and though nothing of it (except that I suck since I haven't played in years) but it was really cool. I think that gave me the idea to "get back to basics" with all the instruments.

Keeponrockin: Yeah, I was away and it was tough, or, on the way home, outta nowhere, I'll here a song that just makes me want to play. It's a pretty cool feeling
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    How to inspire yourself: Listen to any Jack White project... Seriously, I've been inspired to play like I haven't been in years.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I have avoided answering this thread because I kinda think if you haveta ask, maybe you shouldn't be wasting time pretending you want to play... :?

No, that's harsh. :geek:

Generally, I think it's the love of your instrument that draws you to it.
    Or, some concert you need to prepare for. Or, just the joy of playing music you want to hear.

Maybe you should keep a guitar out somewhere that you can easily pick it up several times a day?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    I have avoided answering this thread because I kinda think if you haveta ask, maybe you shouldn't be wasting time pretending you want to play... :?

See, I thinks that is a pretty narrow view of the guitar overall. There's so many different ways to play guitar and practicing, as crazy as it sounds, can hinder some people. Sure you gotta play enough to keep progressing and your chops, but imagine if somebody like Hendrix or really most "great" guitarists from the history of rock practiced all the time to nail their parts. You just gotta know when you have somethin down the way you wanna play it.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    DewieCox wrote:
    justam wrote:

See, I thinks that is a pretty narrow view of the guitar overall. There's so many different ways to play guitar and practicing, as crazy as it sounds, can hinder some people. Sure you gotta play enough to keep progressing and your chops, but imagine if somebody like Hendrix or really most "great" guitarists from the history of rock practiced all the time to nail their parts. You just gotta know when you have somethin down the way you wanna play it.

I just meant that a person needs to have some internal drive and desire to do it.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    justam wrote:

I just meant that a person needs to have some internal drive and desire to do it.

Oh definitely. I wasn't tryin to call you out or anything, there are alotta freakin posers these days.