Trying to contact a friend in the UK after 6 years...

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited September 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So, when I was 15 the summer before my sophomore year in high school, I frequented Yahoo messenger and met a girl. She lived in the UK, and we became really close friends, kind of a modern, internet 'pen-pals'.

Unfortunately, I lost contact with her after I got involved in high school, new friends, and new experiences, and i've always hated that our ties were cut. Years passed and I didn't even think about her for some reason, and now just the other day as I was driving to work I began to remember all those long nights we spent talkign just about everything, and really building an awesome friendship, and I thought "I wonder if there is some way I can track her down, that way I can at least contact her, and catch up, and just let her know I haven't forgetten about her."

My search was short and yielded some potential. On Facebook I found what I believe is her, although I can't be certain. Her friends on facebook all look like the friends she had years ago, and all the names match up...now, I don't remember exactly where in UK she lived...I think it was Plymouth, or Portsmouth...but like I said, I am so unsure about that. I am about 85% sure the person I've found is indeed her. I sent her a message via Facebook, but have yet got no response...

What else can I do? Does anybody have any similiar experience with searching for a lost friend? I'm desperate to track her down...way too much time has passed, and now that I've gotten the info I have, I can't just let it go...I've got to contact her some how.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    maybe shoot her a message on fb & see if it's her? worst case scenario is that it isn't, but i'd say it's worth a shot.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    mfc2006 wrote:
    maybe shoot her a message on fb & see if it's her? worst case scenario is that it isn't, but i'd say it's worth a shot.

I already took that route...I'm just waiting for a response :? . I even tried to protect myself by saying somethign along the lines of "If your not who I've just described, I apologize, but please at least tell me so I'm not left hanging" lol.

I'm hoping for the best.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Well, I got a message back reading:

"No, it's not me you fucking weirdo"

I guess my search is over, LOL!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    dcfaithful wrote:

wow! that's what she said??? :lol: that's priceless, my friend. keep at it..i'm sure you'll find your friend somehow.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

wow! that's what she said??? :lol: that's priceless, my friend. keep at it..i'm sure you'll find your friend somehow.

I know, right! I laughed, and then didn't really know what to say. I really didn't think what I said was creepy at all. I mean, if I got a message from someone mistaking me for someone else, I would just let it roll off and tell them no, not call them a fucking weirdo :lol:

I want to keep at it, but to be honest...I don't know where else to look...I mean, she lived so far away, that i have no clue on how to begin looking for her... :( I tried sending her a message through Yahoo mail, and it said it failed to deliver because he account is inactive, or has been disabled...

Kind of sad. I feel like I am helpless, and have to basically just let go of a friendship because I have no choice...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • SarahLouSarahLou Posts: 175
    thats quite a sad story!

did you know any of her friends? could you maybe try and find one of them? or i would try on Bebo. cause most people in the UK have a Bebo account (well everyone i know anyway!)

and although the girl was rude, guys tend to use the whole 'i know you from somewhere' as a chat up line too much...maybe she thought you were hitting on her!

well good luck anyway!
    edited September 2010
    SarahLou wrote:
    thats quite a sad story!

did you know any of her friends? could you maybe try and find one of them? or i would try on Bebo. cause most people in the UK have a Bebo account (well everyone i know anyway!)

and although the girl was rude, guys tend to use the whole 'i know you from somewhere' as a chat up line too much...maybe she thought you were hitting on her!

well good luck anyway!

I never considered that :lol: Probably because I never used that.

I'll try that Bebo, thanks! I knew some of her friends names...don't know last names, only first. I'm really fighting for a break-through here.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Bebo is for like 11-13 year olds lol, they then realise its lame then they go myspace, well noawadays its facebook.
  • SarahLouSarahLou Posts: 175
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Bebo is for like 11-13 year olds lol, they then realise its lame then they go myspace, well noawadays its facebook.

see this is what i thought too, but like ALL my friends use it, none of which are 11-13! hehe
    it still sucks though, i dont use it at all anymore.....dont use myspace either....just facebook, which i originally thought was just for 30+ and office workers
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    SarahLou wrote:
    I BrisK I wrote:

see this is what i thought too, but like ALL my friends use it, none of which are 11-13! hehe
    it still sucks though, i dont use it at all anymore.....dont use myspace either....just facebook, which i originally thought was just for 30+ and office workers

Haha oh dear! Yeah Bebo is just people posing. It's hilarious if you go on there now, people using the flash from their cameras in the mirror lol.

I never thought facebook was for 30+ office workers, defintaly took the idea of myspace and made it a lot better. It really is a good social networking type site, especially trying to organise events etc.

But anyway, you may as well try Bebo OP you dont loose out but i wouldn't be suprised if you didn't get any luck.
    I BrisK I wrote:
    SarahLou wrote:
    I BrisK I wrote:

Haha oh dear! Yeah Bebo is just people posing. It's hilarious if you go on there now, people using the flash from their cameras in the mirror lol.

I never thought facebook was for 30+ office workers, defintaly took the idea of myspace and made it a lot better. It really is a good social networking type site, especially trying to organise events etc.

But anyway, you may as well try Bebo OP you dont loose out but i wouldn't be suprised if you didn't get any luck.

Based on what I've read, I won't get my hopes up, lol.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    UPDATE:

So, after a year...I have had no luck. I even contacted Yahoo! to see if they could help me...they did their best, but we had no luck.

Unfortunately, I think this is going to be an eternal loose end in my life. Sucks. :| :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Hey, no worries dude...keep trying!

I used to talk to a guy on Yahoo, even met him for beers and pool. Lost touch and I think about him every now and then. I put the email I had into a facebook search, but that's not him. I thought I found him on MySpace but the person hasn't logged on in 4 years, so another dead end.

Don't let some girl's snarky remarks get to you, I did find a friend I had in preschool and emailed her....she emailed me back with a tirade of nasty remarks. I haven't seen her in over 30 years! Whatever, grow-up, my god she's 30 something. That's her problem.

I find it endearing you're trying to find her to see what she's been up to! ;)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • What if she's a ghost? That would be wild.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    dcfaithful wrote:
    UPDATE:

So, after a year...I have had no luck. I even contacted Yahoo! to see if they could help me...they did their best, but we had no luck.

Unfortunately, I think this is going to be an eternal loose end in my life. Sucks. :| :(

You know, looking back at your original post... I wonder if maybe you did find her and she was holding a grudge about something. The email reply you received from Facebook seems to be really pissy _ too pissy for just a "hey, if it's you let me know, and if it's not let me know and I won't bother you" which seems a polite way to reach out to someone. Her reply seemed way out of context for that. Is it possible that it actually was her, and she was mad about the loss of contact?

It just seems weird that all of the friends names seemed correct...

And in the end, maybe it just wasn't meant to be. My grandmother always said "What's for you will never pass you by." I think that's a great philosophy. Maybe the friendship just wasn't destined to continue for reasons unknown.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    What if she's a ghost? That would be wild.

Dude, I'm beginning to think she was some kind of phantom. :lol:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    UPDATE:

You know, looking back at your original post... I wonder if maybe you did find her and she was holding a grudge about something. The email reply you received from Facebook seems to be really pissy _ too pissy for just a "hey, if it's you let me know, and if it's not let me know and I won't bother you" which seems a polite way to reach out to someone. Her reply seemed way out of context for that. Is it possible that it actually was her, and she was mad about the loss of contact?

And in the end, maybe it just wasn't meant to be. My grandmother always said "What's for you will never pass you by." I think that's a great philosophy. Maybe the friendship just wasn't destined to continue for reasons unknown.

I wondered the same thing. I'd like to press the issue, but I don't want it to not be her and me just be this scary guy perceived as some creep.

We didn't have bad blood either...just kind of split apart due to our lack of communication because it was only through Yahoo Messenger...

The lack of closure is driving me mad...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL

You know, anything is possible really. The way you've described it is how I went about it, so her response was a bit shocking.

I do like that philosophy as well, and who knows, maybe it's very applicable here. I will say though, it's difficult to turn my head away from something without a lot of answers. The world is a damn big place...can't expect to find everything.

One thing I keep thinking is maybe she's since married and has a different name? :? Something I would never know.

For now, I think I might listen to your grandmother's philosophy.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    post up her name...i'm sure we have a few good stalkers on this site that can find her. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    dcfaithful wrote:

You know, anything is possible really. The way you've described it is how I went about it, so her response was a bit shocking.

I do like that philosophy as well, and who knows, maybe it's very applicable here. I will say though, it's difficult to turn my head away from something without a lot of answers. The world is a damn big place...can't expect to find everything.

One thing I keep thinking is maybe she's since married and has a different name? :? Something I would never know.

For now, I think I might listen to your grandmother's philosophy.

I've always found that it's a useful one... and it just might be that you'll never know. Try not to let it torment you, though...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    81 wrote:
    post up her name...i'm sure we have a few good stalkers on this site that can find her. :lol:

Better than me? I think not. :P
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i was going to suggest allisonK, but she would just want to lick her hand
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i was going to suggest allisonK, but she would just want to lick her hand

That's all my dog wants to do when I come home. :(

If my own dog isn't excited to see/hear me, I'm fucked. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL