Options

First time to Virginia (What should we see?)

BackscratcherBackscratcher Posts: 93
edited March 2008 in The Porch
My wife and I are going to the show at Virginia Beach. We will be staying for a week in Williamsburg. What things should we see and do? We will also have a 8 month old with us (she has a babysitter the night of the concert). Anything outdoors and free is always a plus.

Also what should we expect when we go to the concert. Is parking and getting to the show difficult?

Any help would be great.
1998: Minneapolis
2000: Alpine Valley (Ice Bowl)
2003: St. Paul
2006: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
2008: Va. Beach, Milwaukee
2009: Chicago I

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Typically one of the best things to see in Virginia is the sign that says "now entering West Virginia"
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    Lots to see right in that immediate area, with historic Williamsburg and Jamestown pretty close to each other. If you don't mind the drive, D.C. is only three hours away, obviously tons to see there. I'm not the biggest fan of Va. Beach, but it's about a hour away from the Williamsburg area, so that's always an option. Depending on which way you're coming from, all types of attractions throughout the state, too.
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • Options
    voodoopug wrote:
    Typically one of the best things to see in Virginia is the sign that says "now entering West Virginia"

To be fair, it depends which half of the state. The trip to Morgantown and the northern half is pretty, the southern half nothing but strip mines.
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    To be fair, it depends which half of the state. The trip to Morgantown and the northern half is pretty, the southern half nothing but strip mines.

Agreed, I used to travel to Fairfax for business a lot and would rather ingest mercury than do that again.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    Staying in Williamsburg will keep you busy for two days easily. There is a lot to see and do, and most of it is free. There will be lots of walking involved, but Williamsburg is a great place to visit. I can get you a list of "Must Sees" there if you want. Def walk around the William and Mary campus, especially find the Crim Dell - very cute/romantic place to take the wife. Moneywise, you have Busch Gardens and a Water Country USA there.

Jamestown is a cool, short trip from there as well.

Virginia Beach has all the shops next to the beach and the beach itself if that is your thing. I enjoy the beach there and the entire atmosphere.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help.

Is the Verison ampheatre difficult to get to? SOme of these ampheatres have one rode going in and out.
    1998: Minneapolis
    2000: Alpine Valley (Ice Bowl)
    2003: St. Paul
    2006: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    2008: Va. Beach, Milwaukee
    2009: Chicago I

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    voodoopug wrote:

You forgot the bottom half of that sign:

"We will now be confiscating your toothbrushes. And don't forget to cover your cornhole."
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    voodoopug wrote:
    That's funny

As a Civil War buff, I would go to Cold Harbor, Frederickburg, Chancelorsville, Richmond, etc.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    Va beach has an aquarium. That’s all I can think of. Lame.
    Go to Jamestown!
    oh or the first in flight in outter banks NC 45 mins away. The lost colony is there too, pretty cool.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    EddieFavre wrote:
    Thanks for the help.

Is the Verison ampheatre difficult to get to? SOme of these ampheatres have one rode going in and out.

Very easy to get to. Many lanes going in/out. You won't have any problems.
  • Options
    jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    Mom lives in cheasapeak, I visit the area often. Heres my suggestions.

Williamsburg - Never been but mom always talks about how quaint and pretty the town is. Lots of walking and little shops. Also Bush Gardens and a Water Park are there.

VA Beach - Very nice Beach - Clean - Lots of activities on the weekends such as live music and different FREE shows. Plus shopping area around the beach and then also heading towards Norfolk.

Ive heard the aquarium is awsome and not very expensive, and if you have some time a ride over the Cheasapeak Bay Bridge and Tunnel is pretty interesting. 12 bucks and 30 some miles of bridge and tunnel system.

Nofolk has a pretty decent nightlife, I forget the name of the street, but its one street with a ton of bars. Most have live music on the weekends.

And last thing is if your staying a while and interested in traveling I would suggest either DC or the outer banks of NC.

Have Fun
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    jsk175 wrote:
    Mom lives in cheasapeak, I visit the area often. Heres my suggestions.

Williamsburg - Never been but mom always talks about how quaint and pretty the town is. Lots of walking and little shops. Also Bush Gardens and a Water Park are there.

VA Beach - Very nice Beach - Clean - Lots of activities on the weekends such as live music and different FREE shows. Plus shopping area around the beach and then also heading towards Norfolk.

Ive heard the aquarium is awsome and not very expensive, and if you have some time a ride over the Cheasapeak Bay Bridge and Tunnel is pretty interesting. 12 bucks and 30 some miles of bridge and tunnel system.

Nofolk has a pretty decent nightlife, I forget the name of the street, but its one street with a ton of bars. Most have live music on the weekends.

And last thing is if your staying a while and interested in traveling I would suggest either DC or the outer banks of NC.

Have Fun

The street is called Granby Street.
    Also the good bars at the ocean front in Va beach are between 18th and 25th street on Atlantic. On 24th street there is a bar that has $1 tacos and $1 Pabst Blue Ribbons on Mondays. (can't go wrong there)
    Charlottesville has wine vineyards and is 2 hours from williamsburg and 3 hours from va beach.

my girlfriend is from va beach. it has a bad reputation but is cool for a few days.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023