Options

irritating new community board - agree?

dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
edited June 2009 in The Porch
In the former version of "The Porch" you were able to put your cursor over a topic name and it revealed the starting topic with its entire text which was good for sorting out wether or not you would spend more time on topics who often didn´t make sense standing alone (like mine for example).

Why has Ten Club "closed" this feature? Is it not possible with the "new" layout"?

Am I the only one who want this feautre back?
And he still gives his love,
he just gives it away...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,185
    I want it back! That extra click is a pain (god we're so lazy). :)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    dreamcode wrote:
    In the former version of "The Porch" you were able to put your cursor over a topic name and it revealed the starting topic with its entire text which was good for sorting out wether or not you would spend more time on topics who often didn´t make sense standing alone (like mine for example).

Why has Ten Club "closed" this feature? Is it not possible with the "new" layout"?

I agree - our internet at home is very unreliable, and often very tediously slow.. I loved this feature because I didn't have to wait for a page to load to get some insight on what the topic is.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    But still - do you know the reason for this alternation?

Kat, Sea - please help
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    yes that was a cool feature
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    The old board seemed to have many perks that this one lacks but I guess they are still working out the kinks :lol:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    as far as i understand, the software doesn't have this feature
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    yeah this has really been pissing me off lately :roll:
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    They want to know what you've read. That way if you've read the link to a torrent, they can charge you $9.99 more on your next membership fee.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    dreamcode wrote:

Thank the bloody lord someone pointed this out.

Have a beer on me.
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    They want to know what you've read. That way if you've read the link to a torrent, they can charge you $9.99 more on your next membership fee.

LOL
    he just gives it away...
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Agreed; and when are we going to be able to edit our signatures?
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    ringoringo Posts: 504
    I totally miss being able to mouse over thread titles. Most thread titles suck and have little reference to the actual post. Bring it back!!!
    d'oh
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    That feature isn't available w/ this software... I believe this is Joomla... there may be a plug in that does it but out of the box it doesn't have the capabilities.

On a side note, we were really spoiled w/ that feature, it's not really common to see that on BBS's.
  • Options
    Bump!!!

I was going to start a thread about this too. So many of the threads have incredibly vague (and even misleading) titles. I also think that this would avoid duplicate threads beacause now you have to actually open a thread to see if one has already been started about a certain topic, and people don't bother.
  • Options
    El PapeEl Pape Posts: 81
    agree
    Agreed; and when are we going to be able to edit our signatures?

and agree..

Do you want to see my vinyls collection? Get in http://vinilosrock.blogspot.com
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    To be honest, I would not have posted in this thread if this feature was working. But then again, this thread wouldn't be here either. 8-)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    benjs wrote:
    dreamcode wrote:

I agree - our internet at home is very unreliable, and often very tediously slow.. I loved this feature because I didn't have to wait for a page to load to get some insight on what the topic is.
    +1 for the same reason

would be nice to get back if its possible
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    CJMST3K wrote:
    To be honest, I would not have posted in this thread if this feature was working. But then again, this thread wouldn't be here either. 8-)
    Ha!! :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    That feature isn't available w/ this software... I believe this is Joomla... there may be a plug in that does it but out of the box it doesn't have the capabilities.

On a side note, we were really spoiled w/ that feature, it's not really common to see that on BBS's.
    Really? It's not most forums I use.

Also, the browser title doesn't display the thread title which is a bit annoying when you have many tabs open and you want to go to a specific message.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Good to read the explanations as I miss that feature as well. :) My internet is fast and it's still irritating so I really feel for those with slow connections. Agree that most do not have it and often wondered why. Now I know.
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    Don't agree.

I kind of like it. The reader must interpret the thread title and decide upon clicking or not clicking...

...the poster must think of a title that's clickable.

I know it's the internet but a little creativity never killed anyone!

Guessing shit is fun. :)
  • Options
    i was hoping this thread would address the elitist cliques, endless whining, rampant flipping, and lack of real news / updates :|

misleading title

• Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i was hoping this thread would address the elitist cliques, endless whining, rampant flipping, and lack of real news / updates :|

misleading title

I thought u were one of them? every time I visit, I see your name attached to others.

Not pickin... just saying...
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:

misleading title

I thought u were one of them? every time I visit, I see your name attached to others.

Not pickin... just saying...
    hey... im a lone wolf 8-)

i try to be as pleasant as i can with everyone here but at the end of the day its about the band and not about making BFF's - not that i havent met cool people

but i guess denying it makes me a no good hipster... so ill take your word for it... shame on me

• Options
    NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    One of my biggest pet peeves is when people write vague/misleading subject titles. Like "PJ playing the Spectrum!" and I get my hopes all up. Then you click inside and it's "Do you think PJ will play the Spectrum?"... Man that's annoying! Yes, please bring back the Hover feature
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    I want the free use of the board back, above all.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    much of the new board sucks
    i like sound...
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    It would also be handy to be able to access yours, and others', list of posts and created threads. The old board had this function, this one just allows you to see all of your own posts.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The OLD board was 100% better then this board.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Don't agree.

I kind of like it. The reader must interpret the thread title and decide upon clicking or not clicking...

...the poster must think of a title that's clickable.

I know it's the internet but a little creativity never killed anyone!

Guessing shit is fun. :)

I can't tell if you're serious or not...

I'd much rather a straightforward title than a so called "creative" one that doesn't say anything about what's inside. You can see that this happens on some threads when they have a ton of views, but hardly any posts.