Options

TRANSFORMERS: Revenge of the Fallen

Comments

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    DocChicago wrote:
    That was a long-ass movie. The fight scenes in the forest and in Egypt were amazing, and I was glad to see Devastator make an appearance, but I could have done without some of the silliness. Did we really need to see a Transformer humping Megan Fox's leg? And those gangsta-bots were the equivalent of Jar-Jar Binks x2. Just awful.

That said, the fight in the forest where Prime takes on 3 Decepticons was just outstanding.

Yeah, i told my GF after the movie that i was praying those two gangsta-bots would get killed off ! :D

on the other hand, i actually like Jar Jar . go figure :oops:

and the forest fight was EPIC ! loved it.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    You guys are so snobby

It's a movie. I saw it and I liked it very much

It's not a oscar movie or anything but it was a pretty good movie
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    brother123 wrote:
    You guys are so snobby

It's a movie. I saw it and I liked it very much

It's not a oscar movie or anything but it was a pretty good movie
    call it snobby but when 75% of the reviews ive seen from friends, coworkers and this board say "yah it was stupid and confusing and too long... but i figured it would be... go see it" i call that backassward... movies are too damn expensive to go just for mindless, nostalgic bullshit and loud noises... and i would feel too guilty encouraging bay to keep making shit like this... just like my protest against indy 4 :P

even the worst movie needs to be held to some standard

its funny that as "snobby" as most of us on this board are about music (im definitely guilty) people go out of their way to support the "jonas brothers of cinema"

on the positive side - movie theaters are air conditioned
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    my informal survey on this thread of those who've seen it is like this:

Thumbs Up: 6
    Thumbs Down: 3

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - I haven't paid for a movie for a long time and so, I haven't really placed a dollar value on each movie for a while. Having said that - movies are sometimes just a means to remove yourself from reality - it's no different than watching entertainment tonite or a reality tv show. Some people get a kick out of the effects and watching megan fox run. This movie was first and foremost fun - who the heck cares about plot lines - having said that, it has to work for each person.
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Kat wrote:
    Saw it this weekend, loved it, can't wait to see it again, and again.

It seemed to be that they were trying to establish more of the Transformers history, along with more of everything else too, and I was wondering if it was newly established history in the movie or if the story had been established at an earlier time in the Transformers universe. Does anyone know?

Have a great week, all. :)

signed,
    A Sci-Fi geek,
    xo

In case you are unaware there is no 1 all encompassing backstory to the Transformers. Back in the 80's when it first came out you had 3, yes 3 different story's being told about the characters. The first which is what MOST people know is the cartoon.

But Marvel also had a comic going on at the same time, and in fact that continued on until the early 90's I believe. The third 'story' if you will is from the toys, all the characters had different 'tech specs' which is the closest to an 'official' backstory, and the cartoon and comic used that as the baseline for their stories.

But then in the late 90's you had the CGI show called Beast Wars, which actually took place on Earth at the beginning of the dawn of man. And is in the same timeline as the original cartoon, although it actually took place in the future, yet was in the past. Yay time travel!

And then you have the comics that started up again in the early 2000's by a company called DreamWave. They had a series of comics called The War Within which is the first mention of a character called 'The Fallen' And he was one of the first 13 transformers created.

And going on throughout all these different stories, you also have the newer cartoons and toys, which are different characters/timelines completely. And those had different 'Primes' not just Optimus. The only name I am familiar with of the top of my head would be Vector Prime.

Anyway, so watching these movies as a big fan of Transformers I've had to for the most part ignore all that I know about them, because this is yet again another different take on it. I do believe this is the first time any of the stories have mentioned 6, or was it 7 different Primes? And them going around destroying suns for Energon.

And aside from the original cartoon movie when Megatron was FORCED to submit himself to Unicron's rule this is the first time that Megatron has EVER had a 'Master' and that really really pissed me off about this movie.

I hope that helps explain it somewhat Kat, I did ramble on a little bit, sorry.
  • Options
    very thorough thorns... kudos :geek:

• Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    sgossard3 wrote:

What can I say, aside from Pearl Jam, Transformers is my thing! Or at least the toys are, they kick ass!! I'm not really into all the different stories going on anymore. It's to hard to keep up!
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:

What can I say, aside from Pearl Jam, Transformers is my thing! Or at least the toys are, they kick ass!! I'm not really into all the different stories going on anymore. It's to hard to keep up!

Fair play to you....you saved me from having to write all that backstory!
    Theyve made a good mix of the different stories/versions imo...well, other than (like u said) Megatron having to answer to someone else...especially as he was not bad ass enough for the part. Ah well, roll on Transformers 3. :D
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    And aside from the original cartoon movie when Megatron was FORCED to submit himself to Unicron's rule this is the first time that Megatron has EVER had a 'Master' and that really really pissed me off about this movie.

especially considering dude gets his ass handed to him ...
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Kat wrote:
    Saw it this weekend, loved it, can't wait to see it again, and again.

It seemed to be that they were trying to establish more of the Transformers history, along with more of everything else too, and I was wondering if it was newly established history in the movie or if the story had been established at an earlier time in the Transformers universe. Does anyone know?

Have a great week, all. :)

signed,
    A Sci-Fi geek,
    xo

In case you are unaware there is no 1 all encompassing backstory to the Transformers. Back in the 80's when it first came out you had 3, yes 3 different story's being told about the characters. The first which is what MOST people know is the cartoon.

But Marvel also had a comic going on at the same time, and in fact that continued on until the early 90's I believe. The third 'story' if you will is from the toys, all the characters had different 'tech specs' which is the closest to an 'official' backstory, and the cartoon and comic used that as the baseline for their stories.

But then in the late 90's you had the CGI show called Beast Wars, which actually took place on Earth at the beginning of the dawn of man. And is in the same timeline as the original cartoon, although it actually took place in the future, yet was in the past. Yay time travel!

And then you have the comics that started up again in the early 2000's by a company called DreamWave. They had a series of comics called The War Within which is the first mention of a character called 'The Fallen' And he was one of the first 13 transformers created.

And going on throughout all these different stories, you also have the newer cartoons and toys, which are different characters/timelines completely. And those had different 'Primes' not just Optimus. The only name I am familiar with of the top of my head would be Vector Prime.

Anyway, so watching these movies as a big fan of Transformers I've had to for the most part ignore all that I know about them, because this is yet again another different take on it. I do believe this is the first time any of the stories have mentioned 6, or was it 7 different Primes? And them going around destroying suns for Energon.

I hope that helps explain it somewhat Kat, I did ramble on a little bit, sorry.

Ramble away...this is just what I'm looking for and thank you. It's too bad the history is all over the place but I guess I'll just pick it up from what I'm seeing now. Like I said, it seems they're trying to establish a history. All the action in the movies is great but the story is important to me in my sci-fi. Do you think the writers of these movies were influenced by the comic books at all? Did they draw from them?

Thanks again for taking the time to give me a clue...and thanks to the rest of you for adding to it. I appreciate it. :)

Poll question: Who is the coolest Transformer? (from the movies or not. autobot or decepticon)

I think, besides Optimus Prime, I'd say BumbleBee because they use the music for his voice and I like that technique. :)

xo
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    The version that they are most loyal to so far is the Cartoon one (the first really popular version i guess). They have created a few new characters by making them a mash of different characters from different series/versions, mainly for the decepticons (eg Blackout, Barricade, etc).

They did Soundwave's "minion" character really well (the cat-type monster robot)....It was a Pterodactyl/TapeDeck in the cartoon.....a massive flying tape-deck wouldnt have worked on screen tho! So they created the small decepticon "Frenzy" in the first movie based on him. (At one part on the airplane he transforms into a radio/tape player).
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,948
    *spoiler

I love the '80's cartoon Transformers. I got all the '80's toy's, DVD's, comic books, posters, you name it. But after watching the 2nd live action film, I was pretty disappointed! :(

Could we stop with the army/navy getting involved in all of this? Using only US army/navy soliders while you're in the other country's battling? Bring the rain? Come on. Where are those soliders from those countries? Why are they not helping out. Ah, they were just @ the border crossing checking car's coming into Jordan, wasn't it? That's pretty sad. And enough using the same scenes from the first film. Using the same music when shots of tanks, airplanes, boats were ready to strike. Another battle scene in the gulf took the cake. Already happened in the first film. Wanna make a beat the next film will be shot in the gulf? Same circle, same town. :roll:

The Decepticons battle at the end was just so weak. Tons of help were falling off the sky, Decepticons power, and they couldn't take down 3 cars & 2 bikes from the Autobots? Let alone human gun fire? The 2 rapping Autobot's were just stupid. You can only use so much comedy in a sci-fi film.

I just hope in the next film, there isn't so much army/navy involement in the story. It's Transformers right? Using the '80's passion kids of yesterday use to love? Wanna good sci-fi flick, Bay? Story for the 3rd film should take place on Cybertron. A huge battle breaks out etc.. It can be done by ILM. But please, enough with the army.

Remember, if you followed the old cartoons, army/navy involvment had no affect on the Autobots or Decepticons. Why are they using them to the max in these films? :?
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Remember, if you followed the old cartoons, army/navy involvment had no affect on the Autobots or Decepticons. Why are they using them to the max in these films? :?
    good ole fashion american propaganda! were in a recession! its just what we need!

youre definitely gonna wanna hold off on seeing the new "GI Joe" if you dont like the US army meddling around the world :lol:

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    good ole fashion american propaganda! were in a recession! its just what we need!

youre definitely gonna wanna hold off on seeing the new "GI Joe" if you dont like the US army meddling around the world :lol:

Never cared for watching GI Joe was I was a kid. It was The Transformers, M.A.S.K., Voltron, Thundercats & WWF Wrestling viewing for me every Saturday's mornings! If I did get a chance to watch GI Joe. Only good thing about the show was Kobra. He had the wicked dress up!

demetrios
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

Never cared for watching GI Joe was I was a kid. It was The Transformers, M.A.S.K., Voltron, Thundercats & WWF Wrestling viewing for me every Saturday's mornings! If I did get a chance to watch GI Joe. Only good thing about the show was Kobra. He had the wicked dress up!

demetrios
    ah... saturday morning cartoons! those were the days... all i want on saturday mornings these days is silence, a gallon of water, and some advil :lol:

the bad guys are definitely the only cool thing about GI joe... never wanted the good guy action figures because they look like the fuckin village people... should be interesting to see just how cheese ball the new movie will be... already know ill be waiting to rent :)

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    the bad guys are definitely the only cool thing about GI joe... never wanted the good guy action figures because they look like the fuckin village people... should be interesting to see just how cheese ball the new movie will be... already know ill be waiting to rent :)

So true! :lol: Well, atleast it won't be as bad as that live action Street Fighter film. I'm hoping my Cowboy Bebop live action film goes well. Very pissed it's only getting a pg-13 rating. :x

demetrios
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    JordyWordy wrote:
    The version that they are most loyal to so far is the Cartoon one (the first really popular version i guess). They have created a few new characters by making them a mash of different characters from different series/versions, mainly for the decepticons (eg Blackout, Barricade, etc).

They did Soundwave's "minion" character really well (the cat-type monster robot)....It was a Pterodactyl/TapeDeck in the cartoon.....a massive flying tape-deck wouldnt have worked on screen tho! So they created the small decepticon "Frenzy" in the first movie based on him. (At one part on the airplane he transforms into a radio/tape player).
    The old cartoon Soundwave was a great toy. He had a goofy metallic-sounding voice which I was hoping they'd use for the movie. Obviously he couldn't turn into a cassette player in this day and age, but I was pleased that he maintained his role as a communications expert. The cat-type monster was reminiscent of Ravage, one of the tapes that used to spring out of Soundwave's chest. No sign of the old cartoon bird-type cassette minions (Buzzsaw and Laserbeak), which is fine with me.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    DocChicago wrote:
    The old cartoon Soundwave was a great toy. He had a goofy metallic-sounding voice which I was hoping they'd use for the movie. Obviously he couldn't turn into a cassette player in this day and age, but I was pleased that he maintained his role as a communications expert. The cat-type monster was reminiscent of Ravage, one of the tapes that used to spring out of Soundwave's chest. No sign of the old cartoon bird-type cassette minions (Buzzsaw and Laserbeak), which is fine with me.

Buzzsaw & Laserbeak! I had a mental block on the names! Ahh, the memories.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/smg-tra ... tions.html

Interesting. You know what? Fuck this movie. I know I will get shit for trashing it when I haven't seen it but I refuse and I don't give a rat's ass. At least fucking try to have a decent plot. Michael Bay sucks. I can't think of one movie of his that I liked all the way through.

And I loved, I mean LOVED Transformers growing up. A couple of years ago I Ebayed all of my original Transformers toys. The whole lot. 35 of them with all the original weapons and tech cards and all that stuff. The new Transformers toys are awful. The old ones were die cast metal and damn near indestructible. Made enough to get an American made Strat and amp. I should have waited until after the movie came out though.

I really didn't like the first movie, but fuck it, I am not seeing this one based on the absolutely horrible reviews.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Fuck this movie.
    thanks for the anti-transformer support flagg :mrgreen:

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    demetrios,
    you are spot on with the U.S. Military thing. I told my GF that it seems the humans do more damage to the D-Cons than the Autobots can do. Yet in the movie the humans are pissed that the A-Bots wont share their weapons knowledge with them. from my seat in the theater , the humans dont need any help, their wepons did just fine !! :?

anyway, still liked the movie. its just little things that i didnt like.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Worst film ever. I reviewed it in my new blog. It's basically just a long rant. Feel free to comment. http://hitchroc.blogspot.com/
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Worst film ever. I reviewed it in my new blog. It's basically just a long rant. Feel free to comment. http://hitchroc.blogspot.com/
    i stopped reading when you said you enjoyed the first one 8-)

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    Lol :D Well, I hate the new one so maybe you should read on.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    Lol :D Well, I hate the new one so maybe you should read on.
    i finished it... about what i figured... negative reviews are always welcome... not that it make any difference to the people seeing this movie

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i finished it... about what i figured... negative reviews are always welcome... not that it make any difference to the people seeing this movie
    Well, I managed to convince a couple of my friends not to go. So there's some hope yet.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I thought the first one was a good enough summer flick. I saw this one last night hoping for the same not expecting oscar quality film...... it let me down.

Loved the fight scene in the woods between Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream and the other decepticons and I liked the end battle sequance. I also liked Megan Fox running in a short top in slow motion.

I hated with a passion the dialogue. The attempts at humor that were not well done even worse then in the first. It seemed like a 15 year old wrote the script. The plot was thin it could have been fleshed out more.

Overall this was disapointing to me. It did not even meet the modest expectations I had for it like the last one did.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    sgossard3 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

i thought the movie title should have been transformers: us military vs decepticons.

that was probably my biggest complaint about the movie, but not the only one. the movie is a joke. a huge LA battle in the first movie and somehow the us government makes it nothing more than a internet rumor???? give me a break. and the fact that the autobots listen to the us government like they own the planet.

i thought the first one was fun, but this one sucked. i wont see the 3rd unless i hear good reviews, cause this was a huge let down in every way.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,960
    this trailer doesn't look too bad....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAIX12F6958

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA