What About This Tele? MIG? Pacoma? Anyone? Help

DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
edited June 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey gear nuts.

I have an unmanageable itch for a TELE!
Maybe its the Buddy Holly fan in me?
Or maybe the closet Lindsay Buckingham fan yearning inside?

Who knows.
Whatever it is, surely it is nothing of merit.

That being said.
I found this one on ebay

Was wondering what any of you gear nuts could tell me about it.
About Teles in general.
What this one may lack or gain in comparison with the broader Tele market.

And anything else good, bad or indifferent you may have to add.

Also,
if you have some links to other Teles you think i should look at,
shoot them this way.

I'm trying to keep this under $800!

So, MIG, don't start shooting me links to '56 Teles!

OOH. ALSO
i don't have a very good SMALL amp for the bright sounds of a tele.
Anyone with good ideas on a sub 30watt tube to go with this baby.
Also, sub $1000 would be nice too.
heh.

THANKS ALL
:D
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    That's funny, because I used to own a Nashville Tele (mine was the plain Nashville, w/o the Fishman bridge system). It's actually one of my favorite Fender Tele models, because the third pickup gives it some big variety in sounds, and that Fishman system, while kinda hokey, can be really useful in the right environment. The best thing is that, while it does the standard Tele thing pretty well (I believe those have Tex-Mex pickups), it can also cop most of what a Strat can do as well.

The weird thing for me, though, is that I tend to like Tele bodies with REALLY different pickup configurations. My current favorite Tele models in production are the '72 Deluxe Tele reissue with the dual humbuckers, and the '52 Hot Rod Tele (not technically a reissue) with the vintage-style bridge pickup and a Duncan mini-humbucker in the neck. The '72 Deluxe is in your price range, but it is NOT a typical Tele. The '52 Hot Rod is a little more typical, but is waaaay out of your price range. However, a good friend of mine recently took a used American Standard Tele and added his own Duncan Mini Humbucker, and you could probably do the same thing within your price range.

I've also used a lot of replacement pickups over the years, and have loved a great many different pickups in Teles. Van Zant, Lollar, Harmonic Design, or some of the Seymour Duncan stuff can all do different stuff. If you want a straight-up Tele sound, then that Nashville is good from the start. If, however, you want a Tele with something extra... there are a great many options to choose from.

Also... Buddy Holly was infamous for using a Strat, not a Tele. And I know Buckingham (damn, what a great player) used Les Pauls and Strats, I don't have specific knowledge of him using a Tele. They are incredibly comfortable guitars, very balanced and natural in the hands. eBay makes it hard to try before you buy, but if you can get your hands on one locally to try out, I'd definitely recommend it. It may be exactly what you want; it may be completely wrong for you.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    As for the amp... man, there are WAAAAY too many flavors to chose from. I've always loved a Tele through a cranked Twin Reverb, but a Twin is neither small, nor under 30 watts, nor cheap. Deluxe Reverb reissue would be a good choice, as would a tweed Champ clone. If you want something a little more modern, the NOS Blues Jr (specifically the NOS model with the good speaker) or a Hot Rod Deluxe would be a great choice. It depends on if you want those chicken-pickin' clean tones, natural overdrive, or full, rich tone that takes pedals. The Deluxe Reverb would get the chicken-pickin' cleans, as would the Champ, and the Champ would also do the natural overdrive. The Blues Jr. would be nicely balanced AND small, where the Hot Rod Deluxe (I know, 40 watts) would have the fullness with a little more power.

Then again, you could easily use a Traynor, Orange Tiny Terror, Peavey Classic or Delta Blues, or HEY, a used Sovtek Mig like your buddy MIG! Too many flavors to choose from. I guess I'd need to know your target tones for both the guitar and amp to make a definitive recommendation.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Hey mig!

thanks man.
    you always come through. (either you or pac)
    got a lot of recommedations off yas both.
    and neither of ya has never done me wrong. :D

i'm thinking that guitar that i linked might be just fine.
    your right about switchin out the pickups.
    someday i may through down the dough to get that sweet sweet sound,
    and who could ever get upset about dual humbuckers,
    but i'll take the factory stock with the tex-mexs.
    it think that should get me the rough approxmiation of the sound thats going down.
    and thanks for reminding me of all the new champ clones.
    i think that's the direction i'm headed in.

As for buddy and lindsay...

here is what, imho, is the best Fleetwood moment ever recorded, live, studio, or whatever ...
    monday morning, japan '77
    [this youtube suffers from VHS tape shift, but the board sound on The Chain 25 Years is spot on]

it's not until 2 minutes and 53 seconds (2:53) that you actually see it ...
    but when ... you ... do ...
    you will know,
    and when you know,
    you will weep.
    :D;):D
    (capo on the 4th. :D )

NOW.
    as for BUDDY ...
    man, i guess you're right.
    I always just ASSUMED he was using a tele.
    but i just went through the vids on youtube, and be damned if i can't find ANYthing that is NOT a STRAT.
    i even checked the Marshall Crenshaw cover of Cryin Waitin Hopin and even that is a Strat. (and that is actually my favorite BH song and version -- from the La Bamba sndtrk straight up, lol)

oh well.
    that sound from "Monday Morning" is DEFINATELY what i am after.

it is SO sweet!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    As for the amp, have a look at the vox night train! I own a Orange Tiny Terror which has a pretty "dark" sound and recently heard one of the new Vox amps and they sound considerably brighter. It might just fit your needs as it is a relativley cheap tube amp too. A tele is always a great choice btw! But there's one thing that I could never figure out: I can't for the life of me get a satisfying lead sound out of a tele... However, I've seen and heard people do it, so I has to be possible somehow. :)