Options

BLACK...

skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
edited June 2009 in The Porch
I feel like talking about...yes, yes...you guessed it...BLACK! I have this love/hate relationship with this song!!!! I guess it's because I relate too well to it...can't we all! You know, I imagine a sunny day but it's in black and white ...if you know what I mean. Today it is pouring here...and the energy and darkness give me the feel of this song. I swear the weather is connected to my inner emotions...if the sun would shine I could play the part...You know sometimes I don't know what the fuck I am talking about...today is one of those days. I am so confused...who cares...whatever. :? Ok...it's the rains fault...

after a while black seems to fit like an old comfortable pair of jeans...you get used to the pain...you expect nothing more!You just shove it down...and...keep living...

I am not as sad as I sound...if anyone cares...it's just a dull aching pain that never subsides...you know...when you miss someone/something so much...you just feel it in every pore... :roll:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    I feel like talking about...yes, yes...you guessed it...BLACK! I have this love/hate relationship with this song!!!! I guess it's because I relate too well to it...can't we all! You know, I imagine a sunny day but it's in black and white ...if you know what I mean. Today it is pouring here...and the energy and darkness give me the feel of this song. I swear the weather is connected to my inner emotions...if the sun would shine I could play the part...You know sometimes I don't know what the fuck I am talking about...today is one of those days. I am so confused...who cares...whatever. :? Ok...it's the rains fault...

after a while black seems to fit like an old comfortable pair of jeans...you get used to the pain...you expect nothing more!You just shove it down...and...keep living...

I am not as sad as I sound...if anyone cares...it's just a dull aching pain that never subsides...you know...when you miss someone/something so much...you just feel it in every pore... :roll:

i like those lines. the black n white sunny day is exactly what i imagine as well. dont know why. maybe its the kids at play line. you dont have to be sad to talk about this song..i am happiest in my sorrow :)
  • Options
    MEGATRON wrote:

i like those lines. the black n white sunny day is exactly what i imagine as well. dont know why. maybe its the kids at play line. you dont have to be sad to talk about this song..i am happiest in my sorrow :)
    exactly...kids at play....i am happiest in my sorrow :lol: I love it
  • Options
    Best song ever...........

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809
    hope they play it in chicago............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    I love Black. Some live versions are not great but the one at MSG is awesome. It is a sad song but it always puts a smile on my face for some strange reason.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    ah...you should hear me do this on RockBand..i'm awesome!! not Ed '92 awesome..but def Ed '06 awesome ;):mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    ah...you should hear me do this on RockBand..i'm awesome!! not Ed '92 awesome..but def Ed '06 awesome ;):mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    LOL. Me too. I love doing Black on Rock Band. Though I tend to be a lot worse after I have a couple beers in me.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    Running In The DarkRunning In The Dark Denver Posts: 674

Scott

+1
    107 Shows and counting
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    LOL. Me too. I love doing Black on Rock Band. Though I tend to be a lot worse after I have a couple beers in me.
    What's Rock Band???

it's an interactive video game...you have a mic, drums and guitar(plastic of course)..they released the whole Ten album for it a few months ago...it's really fun!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    it's an interactive video game...you have a mic, drums and guitar(plastic of course)..they released the whole Ten album for it a few months ago...it's really fun!

why not just learn to play real instruments? :lol:

it's all about "pick up and play FUN"!!! not bleeding fingers and frustration!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Its my piss break song :P :P
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Here's my story for Black...

My brother and his wife and two nieces came down to my house (in florida at that time) for Christmas in '05. My brother had a horrible case of Melanoma and had just been thru hell for over a year with chemo treatments, surgery etc. I think we were all feeling like this was going to be his last Christmas with us and we were preparing ourselves up for an emotional Christmas day.

As it turned out, my nieces and I started drinking at about 10:00 a.m. Christmas morning. I had to cook and all that and it just seemed like the thing to do. Besides, I cook better when I'm drunk anyway. So after a few hours of this, my nieces and I were really feeling like playing some REAL music, not Christmas music. Subconsciously, we were also looking to escape those sad feelings I mentioned earlier. So I put on a video, a Pearl Jam video: Live at the Garden.

By this time, my Mom, my sister-in-law and probably my brother were pissed at us, but we paid them no mind. My nieces and I sang and danced as I finished making everything and waited on the standing rib roast to finish cooking.

The video continued to play as the food was ready and we went went into the dining room to sit down to eat. We were eating and chatting when the three of us heard Black come on. My nieces and I all began to sing along with Ed very softly while my Mother, sister-in-law and brother just looked at us. We even did the "do do do do do do do" parts. When the song finished it was as if everything we were "afraid to feel" had been relieved. The song, and Ed's performance, was so poignant and while it wasn't about death per se, it was about the death of a relationship - which was just as meaningful if not moreso.

Following the end of Black, I got up, went into the other room and turned the video off. The we all finished a quiet meal, but with a really good vibe. It was like we had all made peace with the elephant in the room. It was THE BEST Christmas celebration I've ever had.

And, my brother survived his cancer and is still ALIVE..... :)
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    metsfan wrote:
    i've never taken one
    8-)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    MEGATRON wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    i've never taken one
    8-)
    neither have I... :shock:
  • Options
    weenie wrote:

My brother and his wife and two nieces came down to my house (in florida at that time) for Christmas in '05. My brother had a horrible case of Melanoma and had just been thru hell for over a year with chemo treatments, surgery etc. I think we were all feeling like this was going to be his last Christmas with us and we were preparing ourselves up for an emotional Christmas day.

As it turned out, my nieces and I started drinking at about 10:00 a.m. Christmas morning. I had to cook and all that and it just seemed like the thing to do. Besides, I cook better when I'm drunk anyway. So after a few hours of this, my nieces and I were really feeling like playing some REAL music, not Christmas music. Subconsciously, we were also looking to escape those sad feelings I mentioned earlier. So I put on a video, a Pearl Jam video: Live at the Garden.

By this time, my Mom, my sister-in-law and probably my brother were pissed at us, but we paid them no mind. My nieces and I sang and danced as I finished making everything and waited on the standing rib roast to finish cooking.

The video continued to play as the food was ready and we went went into the dining room to sit down to eat. We were eating and chatting when the three of us heard Black come on. My nieces and I all began to sing along with Ed very softly while my Mother, sister-in-law and brother just looked at us. We even did the "do do do do do do do" parts. When the song finished it was as if everything we were "afraid to feel" had been relieved. The song, and Ed's performance, was so poignant and while it wasn't about death per se, it was about the death of a relationship - which was just as meaningful if not moreso.

Following the end of Black, I got up, went into the other room and turned the video off. The we all finished a quiet meal, but with a really good vibe. It was like we had all made peace with the elephant in the room. It was THE BEST Christmas celebration I've ever had.

thanks for sharing your story...I know the pain of cancer...my mother didn't make it...

I'm so sorry. Lost my Dad that way too. It's not pleasant to have to watch.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    Didn't mean to do a Debby Downer on your thread..... :roll:
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    Didn't mean to do a Debby Downer on your thread..... :roll:
    I think I started everyone on the downward spiral...not you :)

Guess I'm feeling badly because I put the piss break guys off......... :lol:
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    emdub950emdub950 Posts: 21
    Black is pure, raw, teenage emotion. For me, it is the pinnacle of all breakup songs.... love gone bad. I wouldn't call myself the most emotional person in the world, but hearing black either on record or live brings up strong memories of the ex that you wish you could have back, and usually results in a tear or two. Hearing the "we belong together" semi-verse at the end of the song live about ten years ago was truly a transcendental moment emotionally. Here's to PJ's most emotionally charged song!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Scott
    yes...one of their best
    no,no,,not one...just the best ever!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Scott
    +1
    Dimitris
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    hope they play it in chicago............
    hope they play it in all 4 europe
  • Options
    icemanap wrote:
    I love Black. Some live versions are not great but the one at MSG is awesome. It is a sad song but it always puts a smile on my face for some strange reason.
    milano 06(best fans time)
    madrid 07(the best eddie time)
    athens 06(my best time in show)
    mtv unplugged 92(cant forget this one..)
  • Options
    weenie wrote:

thanks for sharing
  • Options
    ...I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    I know you'll be a star in somebody else's sky, but why
    Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine...

best line ever in a song,,,if the band had made a videoclip in this song...pearl jam now,,,would be more epic than beatles and rolling stones..