Options

NYC to Newark

edited July 2008 in The Porch
I just happen to be flying into New York City Aug 7 for meetings. I'll miss the New York shows, but the Newark show is that night. How far is it from NYC to Newark, and without a car, what is a good way to make the trip?

It would be so sweet if I could make this show!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    It's right there, uber-close. Take a taxi or take a train. Probably no more than 20 minutes.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    dervish7dervish7 Posts: 218
    I just happen to be flying into New York City Aug 7 for meetings. I'll miss the New York shows, but the Newark show is that night. How far is it from NYC to Newark, and without a car, what is a good way to make the trip?

You can catch a New Jersey Transit train at Penn Station that will drop you off right in front of the venue.
    First of all: I am tired. I am true of heart!
    And also: You are tired. You are true of heart!

-Dave Eggers
  • Options
    Forget the taxi, even they don't want to cross the river to NJ and with traffic at the tunnel it might be well more than 20 minutes.

Train is fast though.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    Yeah about 20 mins. Take the train, walk to the venue. Very easy.

Consider yourself lucky that you're traveling right at that time!
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Take the train. It's less than 30 minutes...and i assume it'll be super cheap.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    Its really really far.

Like super far.... not worth your time.

Probably like a 3 hour ride. Definitely not worth you trying to get tickets.

Nothing to see here... everyone move along.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    piece of cake

really easy

and its a better venue
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    NJPAC is one of the nicest venues in the world to see EV. The place is magnificent. Acoustics, incredible.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    NJPAC is one of the nicest venues in the world to see EV. The place is magnificent. Acoustics, incredible.

other than being in Newark I presume you mean.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Over by the PAC, with restaurants and such it's not the Newark you read about.
    Lots of law enforcement during an event, no worries.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    Was going to the NYC show, but once I saw the Newark show it became a no brainer. Saw Elvis , Seinfeld and others there. The sound is incredible. For a solo show I can't think of a better place. Rivals Carnegie Hall.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • Options
    ninfanninfan Posts: 93
    GREAT PLACE!!!!

Piece of cake by train. Sit back relax and get there in comfort. You can also use the PATH depending where you are in NYC. It might be easier
    "No intelligent idea can gain general acceptance unless some stupidity is mixed in with it." Pessoa
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656

Hop on the PATH in NYC, you can get the PATh on 33rd St & 6th Ave, 23rd St & 6th Ave, 14th St. & 6th Ave, 9th St & 6th Ave, Cristopher St. or at the World Trade Center, and take it to Newark Penn Station. Once you are in Newark NJPAC is only a few blocks away. It should take you no more that 40 min to get there and it only costs $1.75 each way.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    chrisg72chrisg72 South Jersey Posts: 112
    Yea because Philly is reall nice!! Newark is not that bad...pllleeaasee!
    pjhawks wrote:
    9.28.96 - 9.29.96 - 9.1.00 - 6.3.06 - 6.24.08 - 6.25.08 - EV 8.7.08 - 10.30.09 - 5.20.10 - 5.21.10 - 9.11.11
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    mammasan wrote:
    Hop on the PATH in NYC, you can get the PATh on 33rd St & 6th Ave, 23rd St & 6th Ave, 14th St. & 6th Ave, 9th St & 6th Ave, Cristopher St. or at the World Trade Center, and take it to Newark Penn Station. Once you are in Newark NJPAC is only a few blocks away. It should take you no more that 40 min to get there and it only costs $1.75 each way.
    great advice
  • Options
    IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Was going to the NYC show, but once I saw the Newark show it became a no brainer. Saw Elvis , Seinfeld and others there. The sound is incredible. For a solo show I can't think of a better place. Rivals Carnegie Hall.

NJPAC *IS* a fantastic venue... I saw Branford Marsallis there... but no one sell the United Palace theater short. Remember this is the NYC venue Neil Young played at on his last tour. Saw him there and it was unreal... like walking into a time machine. It's a little known theater because it's been used by a church and community groups up in Harlem for years... but they've maintained it in its original form, a gala theater from the 1940s. The place exudes "vintage vibe". Neil's deal on his last tour was he wanted to play only at theaters with no digital switches or routers in the lighting system, and with no light from the outside world reaching into the performance area. He was looking for a classic time capsule approach and he dug up the United Palace theater. I've lived in NYC my whole life and this was the first I'd ever heard of the place... but it's absolutely incredible, and would be a fantastic place to see EV. Again, NJPAC is a great venue... but it's more modern. I think they are different theaters... but I wouldn't give either one the edge. If you are trying to decide between the two, or if you can only get tickets for one... you are in for an incredible treat either way.

Also... for the OP... +1 on taking the PATH train to Newark. It's as easy as traveling from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the Subway. 20 minutes tops, $1.50 each way. A no brainer.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    IDgotI wrote:
    NJPAC *IS* a fantastic venue... I saw Branford Marsallis there... but no one sell the United Palace theater short. Remember this is the NYC venue Neil Young played at on his last tour. Saw him there and it was unreal... like walking into a time machine. It's a little known theater because it's been used by a church and community groups up in Harlem for years... but they've maintained it in its original form, a gala theater from the 1940s. The place exudes "vintage vibe". Neil's deal on his last tour was he wanted to play only at theaters with no digital switches or routers in the lighting system, and with no light from the outside world reaching into the performance area. He was looking for a classic time capsule approach and he dug up the United Palace theater. I've lived in NYC my whole life and this was the first I'd ever heard of the place... but it's absolutely incredible, and would be a fantastic place to see EV. Again, NJPAC is a great venue... but it's more modern. I think they are different theaters... but I wouldn't give either one the edge. If you are trying to decide between the two, or if you can only get tickets for one... you are in for an incredible treat either way.

Also... for the OP... +1 on taking the PATH train to Newark. It's as easy as traveling from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the Subway. 20 minutes tops, $1.50 each way. A no brainer.

Fares went up it's $1.75 now.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Between PATH, and the NJ transit Riverline (which was sooo helpful in getting to/from Camden)....it really makes me hate SEPTA all that much more. What a useless, overpriced, inconvenient, shitty organization!
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    Thanks for the help- this is all great information! I live in Iowa, so it's virtually impossible to see PJ or EV without a trip involved. And I rarely get to travel, but it just so happens that I will be in NYC Aug 7. It's fate!