tuning guitars with floating tremolo

PappasPappas Posts: 809
edited June 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys whats the proper way to tune a guitar with a floating tremolo (eg my strat)

im finding it to be a massive headfuck every time I want to go to drop D or down half a step etc, as I find having to repeat the tuning heaps of times before getting it right, my friend even told me your not supposed to always change tunings on guitars with a floating tremolo and that it is not good for the guitar. surely this is not true? I spent a lot of money on my SRV strat I should be able to change the tunings on it as often as I like!

after doing some basic internet research it seems it has something to do with ensuring the gap between the tremolo and bridge stays correct.....

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I actually have heard that you're not supposed to change the tuning, either. My mustang seems to do fine though when I've tuned it down. I seem to remember this question coming up in the Pit a while ago. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=95464&p=2226884&hilit=floating+bridge#p2226884

Maybe that can help?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy