Options

Setlist or Atmosphere???

The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
edited June 2009 in The Porch
when you go to a PJ/EV show, which do you prefer, a great setlist or a great atmosphere??

After seeing 3 shows in the last 4 nights (2 philly and 1 baltimore) I am torn. The atmosphere tonight in baltimore paled in comparison to the 2 nights in philly, but I think tonight's setlist in baltimore was much better.

Also, a side note...during Arc tonight I don't think Ed 'wasn't into the song' as some are saying on the board. I think it was strictly technical difficulties. He was frustrated and rightfully so, but he took the high road and didn't pass blame...I knew something was up when the stage went dark before he started to sing Arc...there are usually lights on him while he loops his vocals during that song. Worked out well as we got to see PATRIOT instead...

Great setlist tonight, but the crowd was a major disappointment. Ed even said as much when he came out for his encore. He said something along the lines of...'I wasn't done playing, but I went off stage and I heard nothing but silence. If you want to hear more music, you have to let me know'. A direct shot to the lack of enthusiasm the crowd showed.

Crowd tonight was really weak...screaming out when they weren't supposed to, then not anywhere near as into the songs as past crowds have been.

Maybe I'm being ufair as I've seen shows in NYC, NJ, Philly, and Boston (all known for great crowds)...tonight's crowd reminded me of West Palm last summer. Weak. Hopefully tomorrow night the setlist will remain great and the crowd will improve.

I would normally say I'd prefer a great setlist over a great concert atomosphere. After tonight I am reconsidering. I'm curious to see what others think.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Purex37Purex37 Chicago Posts: 167
    Atmosphere is more important. The crowd has a huge impact on the band so the atmosphere can actually effect the setlist. But most of all, the band (especially Eddie) seem to have a much more inspired and energetic performance when they are feeding off the energy of a really good crowd. I've been blessed to be at a few shows where the crowd was amazing and the band was having a great time playing for them. It leads to more memorable performances of the songs they play and changes to the setlist inspired by the crowd.

A good example of great atmosphere would be Chicago in 2000. It was the night after the Ice Bowl at Alpine Valley where tens of thousands of fans waited in twenty-some degree weather for the band. They still played a great show despite the elements, but the following night was extra special. The band realized that most of the crowd were at Alpine the night before. If you listen to the boot you can hear Eddie talk about 'thawing out' and he comments on how much longer the first part of the set was compared to a normal show. All because of the atmosphere created by the crowd in my opinion.
    Why go, Animal?
    Foxy Mop in my tree, no way. 
    Gods' Dice Get Right
    Come back amongst the waves yellow moon.
    https://www.instagram.com/knowcode/

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Well, I'll take both.

A great atmosphere can salvage a 'meh' setlist.
    A great setlist can overcome a 'blah' crowd.

However, as others have mentioned, sometimes you don't have one without the other. If you want a long show and crazy setlist, it usually spawns from a great crowd.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Well, I'll take both.

However, as others have mentioned, sometimes you don't have one without the other. If you want a long show and crazy setlist, it usually spawns from a great crowd.

If a crowd is blah, it takes me out of the show completely.

A greatest hits setlist with an awesome crowd is mighty fine by me.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Well, I'll take both.

Agreed. I need a good crowd, that's what got me hooked on live PJ!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    All valid points that make a lot of sense. It was great to hear Ed take a shot at the lame crowd (numerous shots if you include him telling the screaming A holes to pipe down). Hopefully there will be a more enthusiastic and more well behaved crowd tonight.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Well, I'll take both.

I usually go into my own space at these shows, so if they are playing songs I absoluely love, I'm cool. Now, a great crowd can take a show to another place ... no question about that.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    do you mean setlist or performance? atmosphere is a dreadful thing to count on especially with American audiences, who as has been shown during Ed's shows, just do not know how to compose themselves, behave themselves or even show a bare level of respect for the artsist or the crowd. The hollering and random idiotic stuff thats been shouted at Ed night after night is embarrassing for all of you. You paid in to listen, it doesn't give you a right to shout at the performer about anything, no matter how much you love him or want to hear dirty fuckin frank..sheesh..
    I'll take performance over setlist any day of the week. I'll take a Kazakstanian audience over an American audience any day of the week also.
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,391
    I'll take a great atmosphere over a great setlist. Firstly, I'm not into super-rare sets like a lot of people here are. I go to the show and rock out no matter what they play. Partly because seeing Pearl Jam rocks and partly because I never get tired of any song.

The first night in Lisbon back in 2006 was pretty much a greatest hits setlist but the crowd was absolutely phenomenal and it took the show to a whole new level. So much so that I find myself listening to that bootleg more than others.

It's always nice to hear one or two rare songs, but I'd rather have a great crowd that's into every song no matter what is played.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    Perfect example... Hartford 08'

Great Setlist + atmosphere sucked (quietest 20,000 people I have ever seen)

GREAT Show!! Didn't matter how bad the crowd was.......
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,945
    i would take both. last '08, the setlist & atmosphere experience i though was amazing was the hartford show. the crowd was wild, the weather was perfect, the band kicked ass, ed danced the night away. it was just like heaven.

my friend who i took to the show, we both had an amazing time. the people around us were into it. even shared drinks with us, we talked, we jammed etc..

it kinda sucks to be at a show where people around you are not moving or shaking or singing to the tunes. watching depressing people in front of you who don't move and just talk about what song they will play next, hoping it's not even flow, is just plain dumb.

so yeah, ... i would take both! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i could care less about the crowd... i am not there for the crowd, i am there to see a concert
  • Options
    Atmosphere.

Setlist doesn't bother me because I've never been to and EV/Pearl Jam show before. I'm just greatful to be there. It doesn't matter what songs they play. (Don't get me wrong I am crossing my fingers that Eddie plays wishlist in Nashville!!!)

That being said if the Atmosphere is great it makes the experience all the more worth while. Nothing beats going to a concert and having a great time with everyone around you.

It only takes a few pricks to ruin it for the group.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    The perfect show has a mix of both! But, as others have said, if the atmosphere is GREAT and the setlist is sub par, or vice versa, it usually still makes a great show.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    my2hands wrote:
    i could care less about the crowd... i am not there for the crowd, i am there to see a concert
    agreed
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    atmosphere by far ... the reality is that the majority of songs will be the same from one show to the next - i believe in the combined experience ... especially at EV shows where i think ultimately it's his ability to connect to the crowd with his music that makes the show for him and others ... if the atmosphere is good - the band/ed responds accordingly ...
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    People had better get their hands moving and clap more so he feels like coming out to do the encores!! It's rude to stand there and wait for him to come out without applause. :|
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    For a PJ show, I don't care ... guess I'd lean towards a set list I'd love to hear. I don't even think about the crowd at a PJ show unless they do something overtly fantastic, like the one minute thunderous ovation the crowd gave the band during Betterman in Mansfield last year.

For an EV show ... I'll take the respectful crowd every time, the set list will take care of itself.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    I think that alot of folks were confused in Baltimore because the house lights came on before the encore. There were a bunch of us in the Dress Circle that were yelling/clapping for more (and plenty down front) but i actually saw some in the balcony section leaving. The couple next to me were older and kept saying "Is that it?" I told them it was only 10:20...so no, he'd be back. It was a little weird. But the comment he made about Brett Michaels after he too was almost cracked by the curtain was hysterical. :mrgreen:
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Atmosphere.. esp the Garden.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    justam wrote:
    People had better get their hands moving and clap more so he feels like coming out to do the encores!! It's rude to stand there and wait for him to come out without applause. :|

he was visibly frustrated with the crowd last night...then frustrated with technical difficulties during Arc and Hard Sun. he showed why he is a pro by rising above those issues and putting on a great show.

Hopefully the crowd is better tonight...
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Atmosphere
  • Options
    MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,288
    Atmosphere for sure...the music takes care of itself.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • Options
    Atmosphere.

A great atmosphere is something that needs to be experienced first hand, whereas, a set list can be recorded.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Well, I'll take both.

This. I was next to 2 corpses in Albany. They barely clapped. I barely knew they were there. In a way that's good during the songs, but c'mon show some appreciation after a song's done AND STFU during ARC.

I always remember Stage College 03. I doubt they went into that planning it to be what it turned out to be. They fed off us, we fed off them, and the thing took on a life of its own and turned into an historic spontaneous event.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008