Options

Meaning behind the name Pearl Jam

NoCode78NoCode78 Posts: 17
edited June 2009 in The Porch
With all the shrouded mystery behind the name and it apparently being Mookie Blaylocks nickname, a bodily fluid release, or the far fetched great grandmother's peyote jam I came across this meaning which I found pretty cool and thought I would share.

Members of Pearl Jam have given several interviews in which they explain their concept behind the 'pearl' in Pearl Jam. An oyster doesn't form a pearl for aesthetics – it's a natural reaction to an irritation. The oyster excretes a form of bodily waste to contain this irritant. The result, at least for humans, is a perfectly formed pearl. The members of Pearl Jam felt that the story of the pearl's evolution from waste product to prized possession was an allegory of their approach to music. Sometimes, a great piece of music would emerge from the darkest or lowest moments of their personal lives.

I personally couldn't give a rats arse.. They kick ass and that's all that matters!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CG49089CG49089 Posts: 109
    I think that's fuckin' beautiful.... such a perfect name...best name ever as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    the "jam" part came from watching neil young jam at a gig when they were forming or something
  • Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    mother love bone= erection
    pearl jam= what comes out
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    satansbed wrote:
    the "jam" part came from watching neil young jam at a gig when they were forming or something

Right, that's what I recall too. :)

Thanks for the story, OP - it's weird how you brought this up because two days ago my youngest son was asking about what or how Pearl Jam came up with the name.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    mother love bone= erection
    pearl jam= what comes out

We have a winner!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    "pearl jam" is latin for "masters of the universe".