Options

new AIC, Black Gives Way to Blue

DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
edited June 2009 in The Porch
new Alice in Chains album title just announced, Black Gives Way to Blue, being released a week after Backspacer. Should be good although it's w/out Layne, but new material from Jerry since '02 & new stuff from Mike & Sean since the box set in 1999?...any thoughts?... :)
U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I'll be buying it. :)
  • Options
    OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    September is shaping up to be a kick-ass month for rock music! Don't forget about the new Soulsavers album in August, everyone. :)
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
  • Options
    pjammer92pjammer92 Posts: 67
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Im like almost just excited for this album as I am Pearl Jams new album Cant F***ing wait lol....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    pjammer92 wrote:
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Im like almost just excited for this album as I am Pearl Jams new album Cant F***ing wait lol....
    +1 :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    This is going to be a great album!
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    gibbits wrote:
    This is going to be a great album!

I hope so. I'm going to admit that it's going to be a little weird for me to hear something new from AIC. This was all so unexpected... I'm still getting used to it.
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    can't wait, it will be a great album

remember guys, it was Jerry that wrote most of the bands awesome music and a shitload of the lyrics too, so im confident the new album will be just the same, just with another voice singing it instead of Layne.

Sept is shaping up to be awesome!

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,947
    i'm kinda of .. no'ing this new record. been a huge fan of layne. he was alice in chains. his voice was what alice in chains was. to see another singer take his place, using the same name, .. ah .. not so much like. if they called the band name something else, that would be great. but to keep the name, and a different singer? i don't know! :| .. it's been happening away. blind melon has done it. now the wait for nirvana to come back.
  • Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    demetrios wrote:
    i'm kinda of .. no'ing this new record. been a huge fan of layne. he was alice in chains. his voice was what alice in chains was. to see another singer take his place, using the same name, .. ah .. not so much like. if they called the band name something else, that would be great. but to keep the name, and a different singer? i don't know! :| .. it's been happening away. blind melon has done it. now the wait for nirvana to come back.

I kind of agree with you. I can't imagine AIC without Layne, but who knows it could surprise us.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    OGT92 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

I kind of agree with you. I can't imagine AIC without Layne, but who knows it could surprise us.

i hope so.
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    demetrios wrote:

+1
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    demetrios wrote:

For me AIC was not just Layne. Jerry was/is the driving force behind the band. I saw them with Duvall and they were awesome. Can't wait for the album. Don't 'no' the album for the sake of 'no'ing' it. It's still AIC but with a different (but damn good) voice.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Jerry was the main contributor of lyrics and music. And on their last record he was singing the lead about as much.

I'm going to give it a shot. Worked for AC/DC!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,259
    I've seen the new singer perform when he was touring with Jerry Cantrell on his solo tours, and he's definately got the pipes for it.

Jerry wrote alot of the AIC music and lyrics, and Jerry's solo work was pretty good, so I'm hoping this album turns out great.
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    more importantly what would pearl jam do if a stone, jeff, mike or eddie died??
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    you know, i really am hoping for the best with this new AIC record... i loved Alice, way back, and figured when Layne died that it was the end... but it's true, Jerry C. wrote a LOT of the music and a LOT of the lyrics... and sang a LOT of the harmonies that many people prolly think Layne did in the studio. it will definitely be weird/different to hear another "LEAD" singer... but i think people will be surprised at how much of the old vibe is retained.

that being said, if ed ved dies or quits pearl jam, they won't/wouldn't carry on. it's a whole different ball game. i think a Layne-less AIC can and will work.... for all the reasons stated above....
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:
    more importantly what would pearl jam do if a stone, jeff, mike or eddie died??

don't say such things! :cry:
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    BH71937 wrote:
    you know, i really am hoping for the best with this new AIC record... i loved Alice, way back, and figured when Layne died that it was the end... but it's true, Jerry C. wrote a LOT of the music and a LOT of the lyrics... and sang a LOT of the harmonies that many people prolly think Layne did in the studio. it will definitely be weird/different to hear another "LEAD" singer... but i think people will be surprised at how much of the old vibe is retained.

that being said, if ed ved dies or quits pearl jam, they won't/wouldn't carry on. it's a whole different ball game. i think a Layne-less AIC can and will work.... for all the reasons stated above....

or we could just get a concert of mankind on continuous loop :o:o