Options

Relax with the commercial

edited June 2009 in The Porch
Im sick of hearing people talking about the target commercial. people keep acting like their gonna be billy mays in some commercial pimping their record, singing about how wonderful target is. More likely i think is there will be 20 seconds of the showbox footage shown, with a voiceover at the end saying backspacer now available in target....logo pops up....the end. If you've ever payed attention to a video game commercial this is often what happens, game footage is shown, and then a voice over says for example "now available on xbox 360" even though it might be available on other consoles. (*end of rant)
PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,072
    even if they do commercials on tv, magazine articles in playboy, billboards up by traffic to work, or advertisement's at the local strip club. why are people flipping about 'the advertising'?

i like it. it's good. i love to see my band there, instead of the amount of garbage I've been seeing for a very long time.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,313
    demetrios wrote:
    even if they do commercials on tv, magazine articles in playboy, billboards up by traffic to work, or advertisement's at the local strip club. why are people flipping about 'the advertising'?

i like it. it's good. i love to see my band there, instead of the amount of garbage I've been seeing for a very long time.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: DAMN RIGHT MY FRIEND..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Bu$chlagerBu$chlager Posts: 498
    My 2 cents;

It's just funny to slowly watch fans reaction to the evolution of the band. Their behavior the last handful of years has become increasingly commercial. To deny this is to kid yourself. Not they they are whores or anything, but they are WAY more commercial then the Vitalogy days. It's funny watching the fans that take it personally, like they have gone against what they stand for. To an extent they have, but hey, it's easy to sit on an ivory tower and thumb your nose at the indusrty when you're the biggest band in the world. To maintain their lifestyle through their decline in popularity they have had to make some changes. And it has worked; (see last album sales vs. Riot Act sales.)

So some funs are pissed, call them sellouts, feel personally insulted, etc. That's their right, and it shouldn't upset people so much. They actually have a point (albeit a small one.)

Then there are the fans who make excuses for them and attempt to justify all the new marketing strategies while still framing Pearl Jam as a band with identical industry principles from 1993. That's a real tough sell and I sure as shit a'int buying it.

To me, it's easier to just call it for what it is. They have changed their outlook, and yes, it is a little more corporate/greedy. Do you still love the music? Are they still better than 90% of the acts out there? Do they still make above and beyond efforts to respect loyal fans? I think the answer to all these questions is YES. So unless for some reason you insist on digging your heels in and lambasting all these changes and want it to be the No Code era forever, just chill out and enjoy the ride.

Again though, the other side of the coin is we have to stop pretending like the band hasn't changed. The writing is all over the wall, and I'm fine with it. See ya at Target.

This concludes my 2 cents.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,357
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    My 2 cents;

It's just funny to slowly watch fans reaction to the evolution of the band. Their behavior the last handful of years has become increasingly commercial. To deny this is to kid yourself. Not they they are whores or anything, but they are WAY more commercial then the Vitalogy days. It's funny watching the fans that take it personally, like they have gone against what they stand for. To an extent they have, but hey, it's easy to sit on an ivory tower and thumb your nose at the indusrty when you're the biggest band in the world. To maintain their lifestyle through their decline in popularity they have had to make some changes. And it has worked; (see last album sales vs. Riot Act sales.)

So some funs are pissed, call them sellouts, feel personally insulted, etc. That's their right, and it shouldn't upset people so much. They actually have a point (albeit a small one.)

Then there are the fans who make excuses for them and attempt to justify all the new marketing strategies while still framing Pearl Jam as a band with identical industry principles from 1993. That's a real tough sell and I sure as shit a'int buying it.

To me, it's easier to just call it for what it is. They have changed their outlook, and yes, it is a little more corporate/greedy. Do you still love the music? Are they still better than 90% of the acts out there? Do they still make above and beyond efforts to respect loyal fans? I think the answer to all these questions is YES. So unless for some reason you insist on digging your heels in and lambasting all these changes and want it to be the No Code era forever, just chill out and enjoy the ride.

Again though, the other side of the coin is we have to stop pretending like the band hasn't changed. The writing is all over the wall, and I'm fine with it. See ya at Target.

what this guy said.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    My 2 cents;

I agree 100%
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    My 2 cents;

yes a bit more eloquant that waht i was trying to say
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011