Options

Hovercraft opening for the Foo fighters

ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
edited June 2009 in Other Music
Saw them at the Cleveland Agora in 1995,Ed was on drums. Anyone else catch this tour. :mrgreen:
10-26-91 Cleveland
4-2-92
7-29-92
5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
8-26-98
4-25-03
5-20-06
8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
10-31-09 Philadelphia
5-09-10 Cleveland
5-10-10 Buffalo
6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
10-11-13 Pittsburgh
10-12-13 Buffalo
10-29-13 Charlottesville
4-18-16 Hampton
8-22-16 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yep. Saw them that tour and a handful of other times. I knew that Ed was supposed to be playing drums but it was so dark during Hovercraft's "set" that you couldn't tell either way.

Hovercraft was fucking awesome.
    san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    They screwed up my chance to see Mike Watt on the "Ballhog" tour. As soon as everyone found out Ed was on drums for Hovercraft, tickets sold out. Damn you Vedder! ;)

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    By the time they were pulling into Santa Cruz Ed was a no-show and the Foo Fighters cancelled. Mike Watt headlined SOLO, just him and his bass guitar.

In San Francisco the wheels were back on the wagon. Les Claypool showed up to help with the encore. If memory serves me correctly (for the encore) Ed switched to drums and Dave to guitar and Mike and Les did a dueling bass thingie.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Isn't Hovercraft the band Ed's ex was in? I've heard good things.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Ah...great memories from this tour.

Took in about 5 shows with a couple of buddies and a van.
    We had barely enough money between us to buy coffee let alone get a hotel room.

We mostly slept in the van, ate canned beans, and hardly showered!!!

Speaking as a child of the 90's :)

It was cool to find out later on that Eddie, Dave, and Mike pretty much did the same thing for that tour.

Those shows were awesome. Watt's a living legend. He was enough for me...but to have Vedder, Grohl, and Stephen Perkins back him up was just pure joy!!

I caught Hovercraft's set once -think it was Detroit-
    Vedder wore a ski mask throughout the set and hardly anyone recognized him.

It wasn't until about the 3rd and 4th show where I began to notice alot of the screaming girls forcing their way to the front. kind of ridiculous since they otherwise wouldn't have been within a hundred mile radius of a MIke Watt or Hovercraft show.

You forget sometimes how BIG Pearl Jam was in those days. I certainly don't miss this element of their audience and I'm sure Eddie would agree.

Personally I didn't really care much for Hovercraft -even with Vedder on drums-

I made it a point to miss their set. I thought they were a horrible band.
    Mind you, I'd probably be a little more receptive to it now...but back then it just sounded like alot of noisy gibberish.

Anyways...that was a once in a lifetime tour.

Maybe someday an offical video will be released.

I'm fairly positive that I'd be able to pick out my long-haired 17 year old self in the first couple of rows.

Met Watt in Toronto that tour too.
    Got him to sign my vinyl of "Double Nickels on The Dime"

Reminds me...I really got to go through some of that shit that is up in my attic
    Maybe I'll post a picture or two.

later
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    I suggest finding the song Haloparidol. Was always very doors-y to me. God I use to love that song. A lot of noise, but Hovercraft was great.