Options

Garage Rock Sound

NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
edited June 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey everyone,

Question about amps: I wanna make a dirty garage rock sound (think: Sonics), and was wondering what sort of amp would help me with that? (I've got a Strat, which'll satisfy the guitar requirements for the time being.) I'm trying not to break the bank; I'm told Fender/Traynor have some good tube amps, but can anyone get any more specific? Thanks!

Steve
Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    marshall is the master of the dirty sound

think jcm-800

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    I think Larry used a Magnatone. Amps such as these as well as SIlvertone's,Supro's etc are all older vintage Tube amps. All you really need is a 15/30 watt amp (Class A is always handy but expensive). I have also seen him with a Peavey. I think it is a Peavey Classic 50 410. This amp would pretty much do want you want but I'm not sure of the price (I live in Australia). Mostly all these amps once you crank them up the sound starts to break up and give you a nice warm, dirty crunch. Larry also attacked his amps in search for f**ked up sounds, especially around the time distortion was becoming popular. I wouldn't recommend breaking your speaker cones but I gather that's what he did : )

Fairly difficut to do Tubes amps on the cheap unless you snag a good deal from somewhere. Maybe pick up a good deal and then change the tubes. Lots of different ones around which will provide certain sounds.

As most people will say - try and get into some shops and test some out. Although the big stack amps look cool you will find that a smaller 15/30 watt tube amp is more than enough once you crank it up. I have a few amps one being a Laney VC-30. It is based on the Vox AC-30 but is 1/3rd of the price and it's a sweet little amp. It starts to break up real nice and is loud as f**k. Maybe check that one out?

Adam.
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Thanks, everyone--I'm off to do me some research. Picked my guitar up from the shop yesterday, btw, and she's wailing like she hasn't wailed in years. It's McCready's "Even Flow" Strat, and it makes women love me. ;)
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022