Options

Monkeywrench Radio Tape Forgotten and Found!

IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Unbelievable… after years of reading some stories about Moneywrench Radio here on the board, I could only imagine how incredible it really must have been to be part of! These years I only remember dancing with boyfriend/hubby on the PJ CDs given to him by his friends each time they came out because they knew we were broke.

Today hubby and I were running errands in our car that only has cassette tape player and I saw a tape sticking out there. I pulled it out, expecting it to be EV’s from the SDE package but it was blank and beat up.

“What’s this, Bobby?”

He said “OH! I forgot to tell you! It’s Moneywrench Radio!”

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bobby never labeled his tapes so over the years he has accumulated tapes he recorded from the radio on the boombox stereo.

He kept some of them in his car because it was how he listened to covers for his band years ago. When he quit his band, he just pulls one out randomly to put in to listen to on the way to work or home from work.

Years went by. Last weekend when he drove to Ohio to visit his grandmother, he pulled out another tape to change.

Whipping came on and he went holy shit, speeding and rocking out all the way to Grandma’s house!

He had forgotten all about this tape – he had recorded this back in 1993 or 1994 when he heard on the radio that Pearl Jam was playing (he is almost pretty sure that it was the Atlanta show announced). He’s not exactly sure which year but it was either 1993 or 1994 because that was when we lived in the basement at my mom’s for a year when we moved back home from Florida with our first baby. And he remembers recording it in the basement.

It made his trip and he said it was like “picking door number 5” and seeing your old best friend you hadn’t seen in a long time!

Things had been happening a lot at home this week so I can understand him forgetting to tell me this important piece of history! Seriously…I do forgive him considering a lot of things we had to deal with. :oops:

I had a great time listening to it in the car with him but I didn’t get to finish because by the time we got home, we had kids to take care of.

It is really an incredible recording and I laughed my ass off at the broadcasting reports about George Bush, switching voices of reports, and some of EV’s comments in between the songs.

So far I got to listen to and remember so far (not in order, I’d have to go back and check with Bobby later) – Release, RVM, Whipping, Why Go, Daughter/We Don’t Need No Education, Dissident, Even Flow, Jeremy (whoa I love the long ooo ooo ooo’s and whoas!!), Glorified G and god damn they were so “let’s go!” in their intros!

I just can’t believe that we had this tape sitting around for years, forgotten and finally to be found! And I had no idea it existed until today. :P

I look forward to running errands tomorrow with him! :D:D:D It’s the only place we can listen to the tape!

Oh, Bobby told me to make it clear if I were to share the story – he refuses to redub the tape in case anyone thought about asking. It is very personal to him. And now to me. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

After the Nashville show or at least after our family vacation in July, I will write down to the best of my ability of the dialogues and the songs – that is, if anyone is interested in reading. :)
JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
EV: It's your band.
~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII