Options

Thoughts on "Got Some"

TooMuchBloodTooMuchBlood Posts: 312
edited June 2009 in The Porch
After watching this 70 times and listening to a mastered mp3 (thanks to a fan's help) 30 or 40 times -- all in five days! -- I can honestly say this is one of Pearl Jam's best songs. I love Vedder's rapid-fire delivery in the prechorus, and the chorus leans in perfectly.

Instantly, this song edges out almost all of PJ's best straight-ahead rockers. Which is saying a lot.

I am a huge fan of "World Wide Suicide" -- and it's among my fave 10 PJ tracks -- but this one eclipses it enormously with a wild, wild sense of urgency and timeliness. I cannot wait to experience it live.

I am still trying to figure out what "some" is. It's deceptively simple.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    After watching this 70 times and listening to a mastered mp3 (thanks to a fan's help) 30 or 40 times -- all in five days! -- I can honestly say this is one of Pearl Jam's best songs. I love Vedder's rapid-fire delivery in the prechorus, and the chorus leans in perfectly.

Instantly, this song edges out almost all of PJ's best straight-ahead rockers. Which is saying a lot.

I am a huge fan of "World Wide Suicide" -- and it's among my fave 10 PJ tracks -- but this one eclipses enormously it with a wild, wild sense of urgency and timeliness. I cannot wait to experience it live.

i must agree .. :D:D
  • Options
    HbudjrHbudjr Posts: 150
    Myself I have listened to this around 20 times, At first it was ok but it has really grown on me. I like the MP3 version myself I think the studio on tonight show really took away from PJ but this is my opinion I guess. I am looking forward to the new CD I think it will be good stuff based off of the new track I hope anyway
    8/23/2009- Chicago- United Center
    5/6/2010- Columbus- Nationwide Arena
    6/26/2011- Detroit- Fox Theater- EV Solo
    9/22/2012- Atlanta- Piedmont Park
    10/11/2013- Pittsburgh - Consol Energy Center
    11/26/2013 - Oakland - Oracle Arena
    10/1/2014 - Cincinnati - US Bank Arena
    10/16/2014 - Detroit - Joe Lewis Arena
    4/26/2016 - Lexington - Rupp Arena (Hometown Show)
    8/20/2016 - Chicago - Wrigley Field
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

I am a huge fan of "World Wide Suicide" -- and it's among my fave 10 PJ tracks -- but this one eclipses it enormously with a wild, wild sense of urgency and timeliness. I cannot wait to experience it live.

Let's take a step back and think about what you're sayin, and.... I think the some is obviously hope.
  • Options
    yieldtrack11yieldtrack11 Posts: 163
    Can someone please send me a better mp3? I have the one from gremmie and it's not that great....

Thanks!

Nevermind, gremmie has a better one now :D
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    Can someone please send me a better mp3? I have the one from gremmie and it's not that great....

Thanks!

"im going to rub my balls all over your drumset"
    :lol: great movie
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I love this song. Can't wait for the album! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    yieldtrack11yieldtrack11 Posts: 163
    gndcd402 wrote:

Thanks!

"im going to rub my balls all over your drumset"
    :lol: great movie

It is the best! I love when Brennan says "you wanna go do karate in the garage?" and Dale says "YEP!!!"
  • Options
    thecorythecory Posts: 290
    one of the best pj songs???? it's your opinion but i think that's insane.
  • Options
    thecory wrote:
    one of the best pj songs???? it's your opinion but i think that's insane.

I might be wrong, but I have a feeling.
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    edited June 2009
    *edit* oops
    Post edited by Evacuation Rules on
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Some could be anything :D that is the beauty in Eddie's lyrics

haha, I don't think it's deceptively anything. But I like to rock to it.
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    Yes, that is the beauty of an Ed lyric...you can find your own meaning often...whatever "SOME" is I want it, yes!
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    can some one PM me the mp3 file or got some?
  • Options

Well I think the "Got Some" is ADVICE for Obama.
    1996: Randall's Island, NY - 2
    2003: Uniondale, NY
    2006: East Rutherford, NJ - 1
    2008: NY, NY - 2
    2009: Philadelphia, PA - 1,2,3
    2010: NY, NY - 1,2
    2013: Brooklyn, NY - 1,2
    2016: Philadelphia, PA - 2
    2016: Boston, MA - 1,2
    2016: Chicago, IL - 1

EV
    2008: NY, NY - 1,2
    2009: Albany, NY - 1
    2009: Philadelphia, PA - 2

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I wouldn't go so far to say its their best song, but It's definitely in their better half of songs for me.. it really grows on you.
  • Options

I like it because it's new, but I don't think it's a Pearl Jam classic. I like the music, but I actually think the lyrics, especially the chorus, are lame. Pearl Jam's greatest works, imo (I picked personal favorites per album, including B-sides), are songs such as Release, Go, Betterman (overplayed, yes, but it's a classic), Who You Are, Given to Fly, Of the Girl, Down, Severed Hand. If Got Some ends up being my favorite song on the new album, I don't think I'll like it very much. It's a problem I feel they've had the past few albums...some very good songs, but nothing that stands out. Given to Fly, imo, is the last "classic" song they've had. Got Some has nothing new that we haven't seen from them. I feel this song could have been on Avocado along with other rockers such as Life Wasted and Comatose.
  • Options
    glbglb Posts: 356
    i don't get these comparisons to comatose. it doesnt make me think of comatose at all. i think it's a pretty new sound. I can't wait to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. Got Some is great!
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    glb wrote:
    i don't get these comparisons to comatose. it doesnt make me think of comatose at all. i think it's a pretty new sound. I can't wait to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. Got Some is great!
    I think the closest thing to it is Sonic Reducer, which isn't even a Pearl Jam song.. I don't see any PJs song that are close to this. It's new.
  • Options
    I was very upset when I first saw this on Conan. Mainly because I wasn't viewing it on the best of T.V.'s and I was the only Pearl Jam fan in the room. But I went online later and watched it and was blown away. Out of their 100+ original songs of theirs, I definitely place it in my top 30
  • Options
    comatose_253comatose_253 Posts: 271
    It is a scorch’n track and I really like the heavy guitar parts. I thought it sounded great on the Tonight Show. I don’t know about one of their best, but it’s a nice addition. Definitely excited about the next few months.
  • Options
    comatose_253comatose_253 Posts: 271
    glb wrote:
    Yep . . . . totally different than comatose. As you can see I like comatose a lot!!!
  • Options
    glb wrote:

I wasn't really comparing Got Some to Comatose. I'm just saying it could have been at the beginning of Avocado with the other hard rockers and it wouldn't have really "stood out." Just an opinion...
  • Options
    Love Goat CaptainLove Goat Captain Posts: 91
    edited June 2009
    I think it is an absolute tune! If the rest of the album is up to this benchmark, we are gonna be up for a treat. I 've learn't how to play it already .....

default.jpg
    Post edited by Love Goat Captain on
    Check out my covers http://www.youtube.com/wickedwkd

Amsterdam 26/6/12, Manchester 21/6/12, Manchester 20/6/12, PJ20 4/9/11 PJ20 3/9/11 Hyde Park 25/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, Dublin 22/6/10, Philly 30/10/09, Philly 28/10/09, O2 18/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Shepherds Bush 11/8/09, Goeffert Park 28/6/07, Wembley Arena 18/6/09, Marseille 9/6/06, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Astoria 20/4/06
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,320

I agree except for "World Wide Suicide," which I don't rate as highly. Can't wait to hear the studio "Got Some."
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    to say this song is in the top tier of pearl jam songs is premature at best....let the newness wear off and put it in perspective...right now to me its just a rocking out song that took some time to grow on me, right there tells me its not in the top tier because it didnt grab me right away like WWS did and still does till this day

ill also have to hear it live and even with the cleared up mix on the song on gremmie i can barely here what Ed is saying
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    to say this song is in the top tier of pearl jam songs is premature at best....let the newness wear off and put it in perspective...right now to me its just a rocking out song that took some time to grow on me, right there tells me its not in the top tier because it didnt grab me right away like WWS did and still does till this day

ill also have to hear it live and even with the cleared up mix on the song on gremmie i can barely here what Ed is saying

Hey, I appreciate the input. One thing, though: Some of the best records and songs, in my opinion, take a while to grab me. "Yield" and "Riot Act" top the PJ catalog for me as far as getting into records. They took years.

Check out Marshall Crenshaw's "You're My Favorite Waste of Time" for a great first listen. I heard it on Philly's WXPN last Sunday while driving back from a supermarket, about to make the best wings I've ever made. That song just wraps itself around you.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    pjalive21 wrote:

Hey, I appreciate the input. One thing, though: Some of the best records and songs, in my opinion, take a while to grab me. "Yield" and "Riot Act" top the PJ catalog for me as far as getting into records. They took years.

Check out Marshall Crenshaw's "You're My Favorite Waste of Time" for a great first listen. I heard it on Philly's WXPN last Sunday while driving back from a supermarket, about to make the best wings I've ever made. That song just wraps itself around you.

im starving how about some wings for me :D

and thanks for leading me to that song ill have to check it out