Options

I have to ask: Can Ed make it through another full tour?

UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Caution: I know this question alone will probably piss a lot of people off, but I want to hear what people think. I am not complaining / calling him out / or even saying that he sounds bad. I am just pointing out what seems to a scary decline as of recent (late 2006 and on).

If nothing changes....do you think Ed's voice can survive a full tour for this new album? They have only played 20 (give or take) shows since 2006, yet it sounds like Ed hasn't really recovered. To me this is a scary sign. I attended 3 shows in 2008 (Tampa, Mansfield I and II) and they were still pretty damn solid. Nonetheless, I was hoping he would be able to recover over the past year off of touring.

I know it is a scary thought that people don't like to talk about, but how many tours do you honestly think we have left if nothing changes? I am not trying to stir things up, just want to hear your honest opinions.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    UpSideDown wrote:
    Caution: I know this question alone will probably piss a lot of people off, but I want to hear what people think. I am not complaining / calling him out / or even saying that he sounds bad. I am just pointing out what seems to a scary decline as of recent (late 2006 and on).

If nothing changes....do you think Ed's voice can survive a full tour for this new album? They have only played 20 (give or take) shows since 2006, yet it sounds like Ed hasn't really recovered. To me this is a scary sign. I attended 3 shows in 2008 (Tampa, Mansfield I and II) and they were still pretty damn solid. Nonetheless, I was hoping he would be able to recover over the past year off of touring.

I know it is a scary thought that people don't like to talk about, but how many tours do you honestly think we have left if nothing changes? I am not trying to stir things up, just want to hear your honest opinions.
    I count 29 shows.

I think his voice is fine. You can't stay 27 forever.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,322
    Yes.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    As evidenced by the 2008 shows and his solo shows. Ed is fine.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    Ed will be fine.

The warm-up shows are usually a little rough, and Conan was a warm up for the warm up shows.

Knee-jerk reactions sure are fun, though! :)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,532
    Isnt Conan, Dave, etc all filmed duinrg the day/morning?

I dont know about you, but my voice sounds like a frog during the first part of the day.

Most Pj performances are at night, where ed can go through his warmup ritual.

And I think his voice sounds fine during most shows.

Part of the problem of realeasing virtually all of their performances as bootlegs means you hear all of their bad moments. Whether ed misses a lyric, is a little hoarse, stone misses an entire riff, whatever.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,532
    I should add....

go listen to "Corduroy" from Soldier Field 95. You tell me if he sounds better or worse now.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Ed will be fine.

The warm-up shows are usually a little rough, and Conan was a warm up for the warm up shows.

Wouldn't say its a knee-jerk reaction.........I am not basing this entirely on the show. The 2008 shows just had some unsure moments (and to his credit some really solid moments as well).

The solo shows are a different story, Ed is doing great in that regard. Im just talking about the fast paced stuff for 28 songs.

And yes 95 was an ugly year, but there was still a lot of power/chest behind the songs.
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    Of course he will.
    No doubts.
    :)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    UpSideDown wrote:
    Ed will be fine.

Wouldn't say its a knee-jerk reaction.........I am not basing this entirely on the show. The 2008 shows just had some unsure moments (and to his credit some really solid moments as well).

The solo shows are a different story, Ed is doing great in that regard. Im just talking about the fast paced stuff for 28 songs.

And yes 95 was an ugly year, but there was still a lot of power/chest behind the songs.

I think every tour had some "unsure" moments as you would call them. Ed will be fine. He's always fine.
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 702
    He is going to be fine. Has he ever not brought his A game. Give the guy a break. Less than a year ago I saw him 3x on the solo tour and his voice was flawless.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    His performances in 2008 of "Reign O'er Me" should give us an indication of his vocal abilities as of late. :) I do think that he's not shredding his voice over the last number of tours, but I think that's by his choice to not loose his voice. At any given moment I think he can do it, but I don't think he can do it as intensely as he did 15 years ago for an entire tour.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    His performances in 2008 of "Reign O'er Me" should give us an indication of his vocal abilities as of late. :) I do think that he's not shredding his voice over the last number of tours, but I think that's by his choice to not loose his voice. At any given moment I think he can do it, but I don't think he can do it as intensely as he did 15 years ago for an entire tour.

Agreed there....reign over me / the real me were amazing.
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

For evidence of what happens when you do that to your voice for an entire tour, see 1995 and 1996. Forget unsure moments. There were some downright painful moments. His voice was blown.

And both of those were mini-tours.

What Ed has figured out how to do over the past 15 years is, he's found away to harness his voice. Save the shredding for when it has to absolutely be there ("Blood", "Love Reign"). I wouldn't be against keeping some of these "fast paced" songs that are too taxing of Ed's voice out of the setlists altogether.

The mid-tempo/slow songs are their best songs anyway.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,018
    Wilds wrote:
    As evidenced by the 2008 shows and his solo shows. Ed is fine.
    well said- lock this bitch up!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    PJ_JammerPJ_Jammer Posts: 90
    I think Ed is fine, no need to worry :D
    9/28/2004 Boston, Mass
    5/12/2006 Albany, NY
    6/01/2006 E Rutherford, NJ
    6/24/2008, NYC MSG, NY
    6/25/2008, NYC MSG, NY
    10/27/2009 Philli, PA Spectrum 1
    5/21/2010 NYC MSG 2, NY
    10/25/13 Hartford, Ct
  • Options
    ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    pffff. Stupid question.
    Of course he will !
    -- rafa
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Ed's voice can survive MANY more tours!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,351
    :lol::lol::lol: damm it must be comedy hr this weekend yeah ok keep worrying :roll: ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    I think it's good that someone really asks this question. We all enjoy Eddie and the band so much but when it gets dangerous regarding their health it's more important that any of the band members takes a break. But I really hope so that those people who answered to the post are right and that it was either a morning-thing or just one of those performances that recur once in a while in which Eddie is not a 100%.
    I'm really thankful for their music, I love these guys and I hope they stay healthy, especially for their own sake...
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    samisami Tampere Posts: 6
    cigarettes and alcohol..bad for voice?! Eddie will do fine, i hope. Little chubby in the face...
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Can you?
    8-)
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    UpSideDown wrote:

What is this? Some fucking Channel E! tabloid newsflash?

No offense, but his voice sounds fine. Everyone is going ape shit over this one new song analyzing the shit out of everything. (I am too, but only about Matt camerons new drum set) His voice will be fine.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    Heck, he coulda just had a cold. Who knows. They still sound great and I would bet the majority of us would show up even if he was singing in a voice that only dogs could hear.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Ed's a professional singer. He'll be fine. He'll drink his throat coating tea as he always has, coupled with a bottle or two of wine and he'll be just fine.
  • Options
    glbglb Posts: 356
    yeah seriously, let the worries go. have faith, every time i've heard ed and the boys of late, they've sounded great. To take a line from ed himself, ed's got this shit so down pat he could have a cigarrette, have a drink, brush his teeth, take a shit, and mo the lawn all at the same time while singing. :lol:
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Options
    His voice has "recovered" from the last tour(s), very easily. If anything, his voice needs some work, some gigs, to get going.
  • Options
    His voice has "recovered" from the last tour(s), very easily. If anything, his voice needs some work, some gigs, to get going.

And we have a winner ...
  • Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    Ed could have blown his voice years ago if he had not learned to pace it over the last few years.

It does bring up one thought...Daltry could raise the roof into his 50s...was it less touring, healthier choices, better use of the diaphragm? Ed still sounds great....but Daltry just always amazed me with his lungs....

I guess he's not Ed..one slight difference! :)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,384
    Ed can eat 30 show for breakfast..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    HE's fine.. like everyone has been sayin.. he has given me no other reason to believe otherwise. I see them at least every other year at this point and in 08 they were all golden...