Options

Got Some. I know what Some is.

OffMeGoesOffMeGoes Posts: 483
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Maybe everyone else already realized this, but it hit me today on my drive to work while listening to the song. It only took 47 listens........

Got Some.

HOPE.

GOT HOPE.

I got some if you need it.

Every night with the lights out
where you gone
What's wrong?

Every time you can try
but can't turn on
your lights on

I got some if you need it

Get it now, get it on, before its gone
Let's everybody carry on
Carrying on
Turn it up, set it off, before its gone
Let's everybody carry on
Carrying on

This situation, which side are you on?
Are you on the rise, are you falling down?
Let me know.....c'mon let's go yeah

p.s. - I just listened to a friend's copy of that New Song - it makes "sense" now, and it totally fits in with Some Hope....I get the feeling for the album with the two now. So absolutely amazed already.........
Formally known as Tackalac before being formally known as Vedderwt,,,,....release my old name and posts....

I saw a wino eating grapes, I said, "Dude, you have to wait"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    hope
    motivation
    inspiration
    positivity
    optimism

there's so much *some* out there that fits, and fits so well within the themes of this tune...and it just gets better and better! as someone pointed out elsewhere, just a completely *stubbornly positive* song...... :mrgreen:

hey...ed's a possimist!
    so he's got some to spare!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Yeah,....but dont you think that it has to be a play on/answer to the Obama posters....

Got HOPE?

Yup, Got SOME....
    Formally known as Tackalac before being formally known as Vedderwt,,,,....release my old name and posts....

• Options
    Vedderwt wrote:
    Yeah,....but dont you think that it has to be a play on/answer to the Obama posters....

Got HOPE?

Yup, Got SOME....

HAS to be.....?
    no.
    could be....?
    sure.

i think all it 'has to be' is exactly what YOU think/feel when you're listening. it makes me happy, and i like knowing so many also get such a hopeful, positive vibe from it all. it's a good thing.

got milk?

yup, i got some.
    :mrgreen:

just sayin'....it's ALL open to our own pov, and that's what makes it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,804
    I was thinking, "BALLS" myself. BALLS to stand up and change something-- I think he's talking to Barry O.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Vedderwt wrote:
    Maybe everyone else already realized this, but it hit me today on my drive to work while listening to the song. It only took 47 listens........

Got Some.

HOPE....

Remember Red, hope ... is a good thing ...

andy.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    AKA Barack Rock
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Vedderwt wrote:

Got Some.

HOPE.

GOT HOPE.

where you gone
    What's wrong?

Every time you can try
    but can't turn on
    your lights on

Let's everybody carry on
    Carrying on
    Let's everybody carry on
    Carrying on

p.s. - I just listened to a friend's copy of that New Song - it makes "sense" now, and it totally fits in with Some Hope....I get the feeling for the album with the two now. So absolutely amazed already.........

I think its "Get it now, get it ALL, before its gone." Not get it on.. makes more sense.
  • Options
    Vedderwt wrote:

Got Some.

HOPE.

GOT HOPE.

where you gone
    What's wrong?

Every time you can try
    but can't turn on
    your lights on

Let's everybody carry on
    Carrying on
    Let's everybody carry on
    Carrying on

I think its "Get it now, get it ALL, before its gone." Not get it on.. makes more sense.

could be...but really, it doesn't make MORE sense, it just also makes sense. both phrases work quite well. especially when you consider what the "some" might be.....getting it on or getting it all...both work. i personally like the 'get it on' moreso....an action....get some, get it on.....being proactive. just my thoughts there...

*edit...just thinking of the 'technical language' of it...and the slang phrasing of 'get it on' actually makes more sense to me. ed is singing 'i got SOME'.....which in no way signifies ALL.....and i also believe this song is directed to MANY, not just ONE individual...so i think he wants to share SOME with you....SOME with me....SOME with others.....ya know share...not take it ALL. ;) just sayin' after just a wee bit more thought...:P
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Vedderwt wrote:

Got Some.

HOPE.

GOT HOPE.

where you gone
    What's wrong?

Every time you can try
    but can't turn on
    your lights on

Let's everybody carry on
    Carrying on
    Let's everybody carry on
    Carrying on

could be...but really, it doesn't make MORE sense, it just also makes sense. both phrases work quite well. especially when you consider what the "some" might be.....getting it on or getting it all...both work. i personally like the 'get it on' moreso....an action....get some, get it on.....being proactive. just my thoughts there...

*edit...just thinking of the 'technical language' of it...and the slang phrasing of 'get it on' actually makes more sense to me. ed is singing 'i got SOME'.....which in no way signifies ALL.....and i also believe this song is directed to MANY, not just ONE individual...so i think he wants to share SOME with you....SOME with me....SOME with others.....ya know share...not take it ALL. ;) just sayin' after just a wee bit more thought...:P
    Could be.. we'll need a cleaner version to judge. You're right, both ways make sense... but maybe Ed got some and he's telling everyone else to get it all (the rest) before its gone?
  • Options

Could be.. we'll need a cleaner version to judge. You're right, both ways make sense... but maybe Ed got some and he's telling everyone else to get it all (the rest) before its gone?

ALL possibilities eh? :mrgreen:

i'm just enjoying redirecting my focus on the 'positive' new tune...rathar than debating target and else. haha. so it is ALL good. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    saveyou22saveyou22 Posts: 154
    All good thoughts on the meaning of the song. I know Ed is always pleased when fans try to come up with there own interpitations.
  • Options
    Yo....at the end I wrote about listening to the bad copy "new song"....has anyone gone back and listened to it since? You should, it compliments Got Some......so, if that is the feel for the album and what they are doing, I am going to go ahead and call this the greatest album ever made that has not yet been released......

Also.....I am buying my tickets to Chicago even though I dont have tickets to either show. Look for me outside Will Call.......Ill be the cool guy with the loser sign......but ever since my whole family died in the toboggan accident, I just felt that seeing Pearl Jam in Chicago while sitting in an open seat held by a tc member with a number in the 10,000's would help me. Now, the one place they are playing is Chicago, and I cant help but think little Peter and Jamal, Sandra my dead wife, Sara, Steph, Rosie, Lupe, Jen, Meg, Guadalupe and Fernando are sprinkling tears of joyful recovery on me....if only that TenClubber is out there....

• Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    If you watch the video on Hulu, you can see Eddie make a very distinctive forefinger-pointing-up gesture from his forehead throughout the performance ... this is clearly an allusion, perhaps a direct reference, to the mythical unicorn, the horn sprouting from his head.

No doubt the song will be sung on tour to a full spectrum of lights, indeed ... a rainbow.
    And thus the band further reinforces this message of "hope" with unicorns and rainbows.

Sorry, I can't get to sesame street listening to the band. The whole vibe of the song is a frustrated grit, a driving tenacity, a steadfastness, perseverance, carry-on, fortitude -- sturdy, stiff, stout SPINE-- resilience ... resolve.

Ed's got some cajones if you need 'em....
    But I do like his unicorn dance!
    [sic] happens
  • Options

ALL possibilities eh? :mrgreen:

i'm just enjoying redirecting my focus on the 'positive' new tune...rathar than debating target and else. haha. so it is ALL good. 8-)

I don't like to feel so sure of myself about lyrics. I think I got into an arguement with the man himself over the lyrics to Unemployable.. remember the Letterman broadcast where Ed talked about people mistaking "scared alive" for "scared of life" on here? I think was the one argueing with Ed over his own lyrics. lol
  • Options
    2001ALLSTAREDDIE2001ALLSTAREDDIE NorCal Posts: 193
    Pearl Jam’s new track “Got Some” from the forthcoming ninth studio album, Backspacer. The album tentatively scheduled to be released on September 22, 2009

where you gone
    What’s wrong?

Every time you can try
    but can’t turn on
    A rock song

(repeat 4x)

Let’s everybody carry on, carrying on
    Let’s everybody carry on, carrying on

Let me know come on let’s go yeah

(repeat 4x)

Let’s everybody get it on
    Get it on
    Let’s everybody carry on
    Carrying on

Got some … uuuuh

Let’s everybody carry on carrying on
    Let’s everybody carry on carrying on

This situation, what side are you on?
    Are you dropping bombs, are you getting out?
    Have you heard diplomatic resolve? Yeah

Precipitation, which side are you on?
    Are you drying up, are you a big drop?
    Are you a part of fool detrimental?

Got some, got some
    Carry on, carry on

Carry on, let’s go!
    12/07/93 Seattle; 12/09/93 Seattle; 06/01/03 Mt.View; 10/05/04 St.Louis; 03/18/05 Seattle; 09/04/05 Calgary; 09/05/05 Edmonton; 07/15/06 SF; 07/18/06 SF; 04/05/08 Santa Cruz (EV); 07/12/08 LA; 10/01/09 LA; 07/11/11 Oakland (EV); 09/03/11 PJ20; 09/04/11 PJ20; 07/19/13 Wrigley; 11/19/13 Phoenix; 11/23/13 LA1; 11/26/13 Oakland; 10/3/14 St.Louis; 04/11/16 Tampa; 04/13/16 JAX; 8/5/16 & 8/7/16 Fenway
  • Options
    knikknik Posts: 94
    acutejam wrote:
    If you watch the video on Hulu, you can see Eddie make a very distinctive forefinger-pointing-up gesture from his forehead throughout the performance ... this is clearly an allusion, perhaps a direct reference, to the mythical unicorn, the horn sprouting from his head.

No doubt the song will be sung on tour to a full spectrum of lights, indeed ... a rainbow.
    And thus the band further reinforces this message of "hope" with unicorns and rainbows.

you've got some imagination ! :lol:
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,562
    You cant turn on a rock song.....

....i got some if you need it.....

I thought it was about music?
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509

right on. :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,459
    Vedderwt wrote:

Got Some.

HOPE.

GOT HOPE.

where you gone
    What's wrong?

Every time you can try
    but can't turn on
    your lights on

Let's everybody carry on
    Carrying on
    Let's everybody carry on
    Carrying on

get some an epic one...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    LongRoadLongRoad Posts: 421
    Apparently the term "got some" is used within the military in combat situations.