Who Are You (Forward by E.V.) Transcription

pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Who Are You: The Life of Pete Townshend
A Biography by Mark Wilkerson

Forward by Eddie Vedder

The overriding emotion that remains with me since I first read this tremendous book is one of extreme gratitude to Mark Ian Wilkerson who has painstakingly pieced together a fascinating puzzle, bringing into focus the life of Pete Townshend in all its complexity and glory. It cannot have been easy.
That it took ten years to complete surprises me not in the least, and Townshend himself should receive much of the credit for this since the extraordinary life he has led offers both generous and worthy opportunities for scrutiny. Through the ages Pete has offered his listeners huge doses of introspection, delivered both lyrically and in interviews, narrating his own story as it progressed in a way that is without parallel in rock. Within these pages both mediums are not only fully explored but braided together, creating a chronological fabric with a tight and intricate weave.
In many ways this book can be considered the ultimate collection of PT/Who information. And Mr. Wilkerson shows the tenacity of a supreme collector, a biographer who understands that in order to have pride in the collection there can't be any holes in the cloth. I was perpetually amazed at how many new insights I gained from these pages, and this is coming from someone who thought he knew everything there was about the subject. I know there are many of you out there just like me, because we have met at shows and in late night bars where we have watched the sun come up fuelled by stories and experiences of all things Pete and The Who. As testimony to the revelations herein, there were things I discovered about nights when I was actually there, sometimes even onstage.
Pete's journey is remarkable not only in its exploration of music and spirituality (and a combination of the two), but because we as listeners have been privileged to join him for the ride. It is a unique relationship between artist and follower. In my case, looking back to adolescence from where I am now, it stands as perhaps the longest relationship I’ve ever had! So outside of Pete being an icon, legendary composer and fucking great guitar player, I will always see him as a teacher. And this book is full of lessons, a few I had forgotten, a few I won’t forget again.
As someone who has dedicated a formidable amount of his energy to absorbing what an artist or group has to offer, this book offers a final unsuspected gift; not just a reminder, but a validation of that devotion. That of all bands, authors, and artists you could have attached yourself to, aligning with Pete Townshend and The Who instigated the greatest of rides; an incredible trip that was both visceral and intellectual, outwardly passionate and inwardly contemplative, a roadmap of peaks and valleys and destinations for which to aspire. It is with that realization that I offer my final expression of gratitude, this time to Pete. For changing music, affecting minds, and giving love.
Enjoy your ride.
Eddie Vedder
Seattle
November, 2007

Brushing up on my typumg sjills. I don’t believe it would be much of a stretch for any of us to express these sentiments towards Eddie that mirrors his introduction for Townshend. By the way, this book is like a brick. Seriously, it will make thunder if you drop it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Who Are You: The Life of Pete Townshend
    A Biography by Mark Wilkerson

Forward by Eddie Vedder

The overriding emotion that remains with me since I first read this tremendous book is one of extreme gratitude to Mark Ian Wilkerson who has painstakingly pieced together a fascinating puzzle, bringing into focus the life of Pete Townshend in all its complexity and glory. It cannot have been easy.
    That it took ten years to complete surprises me not in the least, and Townshend himself should receive much of the credit for this since the extraordinary life he has led offers both generous and worthy opportunities for scrutiny. Through the ages Pete has offered his listeners huge doses of introspection, delivered both lyrically and in interviews, narrating his own story as it progressed in a way that is without parallel in rock. Within these pages both mediums are not only fully explored but braided together, creating a chronological fabric with a tight and intricate weave.
    In many ways this book can be considered the ultimate collection of PT/Who information. And Mr. Wilkerson shows the tenacity of a supreme collector, a biographer who understands that in order to have pride in the collection there can't be any holes in the cloth. I was perpetually amazed at how many new insights I gained from these pages, and this is coming from someone who thought he knew everything there was about the subject. I know there are many of you out there just like me, because we have met at shows and in late night bars where we have watched the sun come up fuelled by stories and experiences of all things Pete and The Who. As testimony to the revelations herein, there were things I discovered about nights when I was actually there, sometimes even onstage.
    Pete's journey is remarkable not only in its exploration of music and spirituality (and a combination of the two), but because we as listeners have been privileged to join him for the ride. It is a unique relationship between artist and follower. In my case, looking back to adolescence from where I am now, it stands as perhaps the longest relationship I’ve ever had! So outside of Pete being an icon, legendary composer and fucking great guitar player, I will always see him as a teacher. And this book is full of lessons, a few I had forgotten, a few I won’t forget again.
    As someone who has dedicated a formidable amount of his energy to absorbing what an artist or group has to offer, this book offers a final unsuspected gift; not just a reminder, but a validation of that devotion. That of all bands, authors, and artists you could have attached yourself to, aligning with Pete Townshend and The Who instigated the greatest of rides; an incredible trip that was both visceral and intellectual, outwardly passionate and inwardly contemplative, a roadmap of peaks and valleys and destinations for which to aspire. It is with that realization that I offer my final expression of gratitude, this time to Pete. For changing music, affecting minds, and giving love.
    Enjoy your ride.
    Eddie Vedder
    Seattle
    November, 2007

Brushing up on my typumg sjills. I don’t believe it would be much of a stretch for any of us to express these sentiments towards Eddie that mirrors his introduction for Townshend. By the way, this book is like a brick. Seriously, it will make thunder if you drop it.
    :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    edited September 2009
    Post edited by skyeriverwinter on
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Thanks for posting!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I feel the same way for Pete that Ed does. I could have written the forward. :lol:

and the book is HEFTY. :)
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
    Bump.
    For those of us almost driven past the brink of madness, here is something to read while you bide your time. :)
  • TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Thanks!
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    Thanks! :clap:
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    I look forward to a future equivalent for PJ.