Options

Chicago Area?

Black1991Black1991 Posts: 119
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Hey guys i live in long island new york and im flying down to chicago for both shows i cant wait, anyone know any good bars or spots by the united center that most of the pearl jam fans will be going????
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    You dont want to spend more time than you have to around the United Center, its in a shithole part of town.
  • Options
    Really?? i thought that part of chicago was ok
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    the cubbie bear is the only place that comes to mind... dunno where the pre/post-parties have happened in the past though... but keep an eye on those threads for more details
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Cubby bear is five miles from the UC. You cant go wrong there, especially if the cubs are playing
  • Options
    Cubby bear is five miles from the UC. You cant go wrong there, especially if the cubs are playing
    i thought there was a second location just a block from the UC? :|

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    nvm... not seeing it online anywhere... not sure what it was i was thinking of... definitely a decent sports bar just down the street from the UC

youd be better off just taking the trip to wrigleyville though if you plan on doing any real partying

• Options
    yea i already got my tickets to the cubs nationals game on tuesday the 25th we are flying down on the 22nd and leaving the 26th goin to both pearl jam shows and the game should be amazing.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Black1991 wrote:
    yea i already got my tickets to the cubs nationals game on tuesday the 25th we are flying down on the 22nd and leaving the 26th goin to both pearl jam shows and the game should be amazing.

See a Sox game. Much more satisfying...
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    You dont want to spend more time than you have to around the United Center, its in a shithole part of town.

not 100% true, stay east and stay on Madison
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:
    nvm... not seeing it online anywhere... not sure what it was i was thinking of... definitely a decent sports bar just down the street from the UC

youd be better off just taking the trip to wrigleyville though if you plan on doing any real partying

Everytime Chicago comes up, I have to chime in.

The place near the UC is called the Billy Goat, resonably priced and average food. Many people go there before events. There is a second placed called Moretti's. Not open on Sundays, but will be open for the Monday show.

As far as partying, when the Cubs are on the road, Wrigleyville blows on weeknights. Try Rush street, but its a little pricier.

As far as baseball, spend a day/evening on the Southside. Much more enjoyable.
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,630
    i'm not from Chicago, but a couple of weeks ago i was visiting and
    inadvertently ended up driving past the United Center.

the surrounding area is definitely not somewhere i'd ever want
    to spend any time before or after a show :shock:

the downtown area is much um...friendlier and welcoming.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    The place near the UC is called the Billy Goat, resonably priced and average food. Many people go there before events. There is a second placed called Moretti's. Not open on Sundays, but will be open for the Monday show.
    thanks buckeye... billy goat was what i was thinking... knew it was some chicago staple... stopped by morettis after the '03 show i think too...

and you south siders are too funny... you really want our guests to get that idea of chicago :lol:

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,780
    The Billy Goat is a pretty good spot. Really good burgers in there. The West End is another bar on Madison not too far from the UC that is a good spot to hit.
  • Options
    Black1991 wrote:

See a Sox game. Much more satisfying...

I concur with this statement. I'm liking the White Sox avatars all over this thread.
  • Options
    bustoutbustout Posts: 122
    edited June 2009
    hey now - shame on the person who said the area is a sh*t hole around the UC. It USED to be skid row; however, it's not anymore ... and my neighborhood dammit!

Anyway, here is where you can go before/after the show:

(The UC is on Madison Street)

- Greektown ... 1.5 miles directly east on Madison - tons of restaurants
    - On Madison: Billy Goat, West End (somewhat new; always packed), Beer Bistro, Crossroads, and Third Rail.
    - On Racine: Stanley's and Union Park - Stanley's will probably have a bus to the show.
    - On Jackson: Jak's Tap
    - On Randolph: A ton of nice restaurants ... and a new bar called 'Market'
    - Little Italy (a cab ride away - it's on Taylor Street): A lot of restaurants and some good bars including Hawkeye's, which will take you in a bus to the show.
    - On Monroe: Carmichaels' Steakhouse (may have a shuttle)

Anyway, pm me with any questions but you should be able to find something beforehand. Or you're invited to my place for a party beforehand (only on Sunday tho) ... but stop by if you want
    Post edited by bustout on
    How Many Friends Have I Really Got?
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Someone had to do it!!!

cubs-win-cubs-win-cubs-wins.JPG
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    bustoutbustout Posts: 122
    bustout wrote:
    hey now - shame on the person who said the area is a sh*t hole around the UC. It USED to be skid row; however, it's not anymore ... and my neighborhood dammit!

Anyway, here is where you can go before/after the show:

(The UC is on Madison Street)

- Greektown ... 1.5 miles directly east on Madison - tons of restaurants
    - On Madison: Billy Goat, West End (somewhat new; always packed), Beer Bistro, Crossroads, and Third Rail.
    - On Racine: Stanley's and Union Park - Stanley's will probably have a bus to the show.
    - On Jackson: Jak's Tap
    - On Randolph: A ton of nice restaurants ... and a new bar called 'Market'
    - Little Italy (a cab ride away - it's on Taylor Street): A lot of restaurants and some good bars including Hawkeye's, which will take you in a bus to the show.
    - On Monroe: Carmichaels' Steakhouse (may have a shuttle)

Anyway, pm me with any questions but you should be able to find something beforehand. Or you're invited to my place for a party beforehand (only on Sunday tho) ... but stop by if you want

oh, and to you Sox fans, I think Market's part-owner is Kenny Williams

and ... Ozzie lives in the townhomes next to Carmichaels (from what I'm told)
    How Many Friends Have I Really Got?
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    The Billy Goat Tavern is a nice place to hangout before the show. It's within walking distance of the UC and you'll get to have one of their famous, delish cheezborgers-cheezborgers.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118

thats complete bullshit. there are many cool bars on Madison street.
  • Options
    jlew24asu wrote:

As a white kid from the suburbs that spent ALOT of his teen years hanging out in the city, all of this anti west side bs is being done by white suburban kids that never left theit quaint suburb. Yes there are some bad areas on the west side, but its not Bagdad. Be smart, stick to where the crowds are, and don't go too far west of the UC.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    jlew24asu wrote:

As a white kid from the suburbs that spent ALOT of his teen years hanging out in the city, all of this anti west side bs is being done by white suburban kids that never left theit quaint suburb. Yes there are some bad areas on the west side, but its not Bagdad. Be smart, stick to where the crowds are, and don't go too far west of the UC.

exactly. the west loop is a great area
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    jlew24asu wrote:

I'm in the same exact boat as a white kid from the burbs. So many people make out going to the UC like it's risking your life. Yeah, theres some shady areas around there, but as long as you're not an idiot and don't wander to any areas you're not familiar with you will be fine. West loop is an awesome area...I wish I could afford to live down there.
  • Options
    LONGWAVELONGWAVE Posts: 153
    The best bars in CHICAGO at the moment are

THE BURLINGTON (LOGAN SQUARE)
    FLAT IRON (WICKER PARK)
    THE CONTINENTAL (UKRANIAN VILLAGE/HUMBOLT PARK)
    EMPTY BOTTLE (UKRANIAN VILLAGE)

CHK it out dooooooooooood!

LW
    "Rock Over London, Rock On Chicago"