Stubbornly Positive... loving the attitude of "Got Some"

CG49089CG49089 Posts: 110
edited November 2009 in The Porch
just recently looking at the lyrics.. they are concise but powerful... love the part about turning on your rock song.

starting to, dare I say, love the new song... for one, I feel like its more accessible while still being fresh... I feel like its the least I've had to work in a while to get into a PJ song... but particularly what I am into is the type of energy... which I would call stubborn positivity... its a bit of underexplored territory for Eddie (I'm assuming he wrote it) though it's been visited in Eddie's songs before, "Save You" comes to mind, which I also really love("I'm gonna save you fucker... not gonna lose you").

its really an uplifting, motivating, ass kicking message... and the energy is totally there to support it well. This is the kind of energy I would love to be able to communicate in song if I ever put any songs together. Its feel-good without being cheesy... something which is tough to pull off.

I'm really excited about this album... and I'm excited to see how Brendan O'brien can work his magic and get the best from the guys. If this is a sign of where PJ is headed, I couldn't be happier... now we just need some classic riffs from Mike and we'll be all set.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    nice post! agree on all levels

cant wait to hear a studio version of this song!
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • SpinningBombsSpinningBombs Posts: 270
    edited June 2009
    I absolutely love the song too. At first I was thrown off a bit, but now having heard a better quality recording 30+ times (slightly obsessed) I can't stop. I'm thinking this is a great album opener...love it. I need more!!!
    _______

Also, I'm happy to see this post. Overall, I wish that this board was more positive. I have to say its such a downer to come on here hoping to converse with excited jammers only to see "Devo rip-off..." this, "Eddie looks fat..." that, "Sell-out" this...

I mean COME ON! This is Pearl Jam. They've spoiled their fanbase ridiculously. I'll support anything they do, because I KNOW whole-heartedly that whatever they do is done with best intentions. They're activists, people lovers, philanthropists, but they're also artists who need to provide for their families. If they want to have a broader fanbase- then GOOD! They deserve it.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.
    Post edited by SpinningBombs on
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    PJMosquito wrote:
    I absolutely love the song too. At first I was thrown off a bit, but now having heard a better quality recording 30+ times (slightly obsessed) I can't stop. I'm thinking this is a great album opener...love it. I need more!!!
    _______

Also, I'm happy to see this post. Overall, I wish that this board was more positive. I have to say its such a downer to come on here hoping to converse with excited jammers only to see "Devo rip-off..." this, "Eddie looks fat..." that, "Sell-out" this...

I mean COME ON! This is Pearl Jam. They've spoiled their fanbase ridiculously. I support anything they do, because I KNOW whole-heartedly that whatever they do is right. They're activists, people lovers, philanthropists, but they're also artists who need to feed their families. If they want to have a broader fanbase- then GOOD! They deserve it.

Good enough reason for me to say, "Word." And give this thing a bump.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I like that phrase you use--"Stubbornly positive"--because I think that's a good observation about the attitude. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I love this song too! Can't wait to hear the rest of the album! :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I agree, after listening to a cleaner version, I do like it more. I can't wait to hear the studio version and more polished versions in August.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    It's awesome! Nice link to Save You. I can really see it. ;)
    What the fuck is this world?
  • the guitar interplay has been SO solid since Riot Act. 'got some' has that classic stone and mike sound. the drumming is very jazzy and has matt's signature on it. i love tempo changes.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    "stubbornly positive"..i like that. :D
    honestly, i too like th song more and more....most especially b/c of the lyrics, that thanks to this site, i can actually decipher. ;) first hearing it on conan i was one of the many that thought he was singing "i've got song"...and honestly, i was like, wtf ed? :P seemed waaaayyyyyy too 'fluffy' a song for pj. now that i happily know i misheard him...surprise, surprise......i like it more and more. i am fully enjoying pj's 'stubborn optimism'........ :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Hatfield78Hatfield78 Posts: 69
    Thanks for that phrase! That is exactly what this song has and I LOVE IT!

I am a big fan of S/T and don't know why it is bagged on so much but this song has something that those did not. It goes to places you might not have guessed and it comes out brilliantly! Love the guitar tone, the drums, bass and propulsion of Got Some. Can't wait to hear the studio version.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    CG49089 wrote:
    just recently looking at the lyrics.. they are concise but powerful... love the part about turning on your rock song.

starting to, dare I say, love the new song... for one, I feel like its more accessible while still being fresh... I feel like its the least I've had to work in a while to get into a PJ song... but particularly what I am into is the type of energy... which I would call stubborn positivity... its a bit of underexplored territory for Eddie (I'm assuming he wrote it) though it's been visited in Eddie's songs before, "Save You" comes to mind, which I also really love("I'm gonna save you fucker... not gonna lose you").

its really an uplifting, motivating, ass kicking message... and the energy is totally there to support it well. This is the kind of energy I would love to be able to communicate in song if I ever put any songs together. Its feel-good without being cheesy... something which is tough to pull off.

I'm really excited about this album... and I'm excited to see how Brendan O'brien can work his magic and get the best from the guys. If this is a sign of where PJ is headed, I couldn't be happier... now we just need some classic riffs from Mike and we'll be all set.
    awesome
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    PJMosquito wrote:
    _______

I mean COME ON! This is Pearl Jam. They've spoiled their fanbase ridiculously. I'll support anything they do, because I KNOW whole-heartedly that whatever they do is done with best intentions. They're activists, people lovers, philanthropists, but they're also artists who need to provide for their families. If they want to have a broader fanbase- then GOOD! They deserve it.

it really is the first time in awhile that ive liked a song right off the bat..which usually means ill get sick of it
    all of my favorites took me awhile to really love
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    MEGATRON wrote:
    it really is the first time in awhile that ive liked a song right off the bat..which usually means ill get sick of it

well i'm all set then, i actually was underwhelmed on first hearing on conan. so it should be a keeper. :mrgreen:

me, i'm quite hits or miss....some i loved immediately, others, took awhile.........one just never knows how it'll all play out.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

MEGATRON wrote:

well i'm all set then, i actually was underwhelmed on first hearing on conan. so it should be a keeper. :mrgreen:

me, i'm quite hits or miss....some i loved immediately, others, took awhile.........one just never knows how it'll all play out.
    yea everyones different but i remember you're a bright one so im set too :)
    i was just thinking back to when got some was played on conan and there were people bitching how it's a devo rip off.

i can't find that thread but..

anyone find it funny that they played whip it into got some on halloween? just sayin
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    i was just thinking back to when got some was played on conan and there were people bitching how it's a devo rip off.

i can't find that thread but..

anyone find it funny that they played whip it into got some on halloween? just sayin

I was thinking the same thing
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009