Options

I see why 10C is so concerned with info leaking...

donravendonraven Posts: 138
edited June 2009 in The Porch
This article is just one example of how the press can twist things (or just plain not do their homework) into a story that is completely not true and pass it off as fact.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... 86239.aspx

and this one here also implies that Target is the only store they will be partnering with. No mention of the independent record stores:

http://groovevolt.com/?p=613

Just a quick search on Pearl Jam on Google news reveals quite a few of these types of inaccurate reports. Just thought I'd mention it, I've been reading whats been going on all week but felt the need to post something. This might also mean they need to get the full details of their distribution plans out as fast as possible before it gets any worse.
Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
London, ON - July 16, 2013
Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    One of the bad things I see is that someone with an opinion and half facts or truths will write a dissertation for all to read about the atrocities of something or another. But they only have part of the facts or the story. Blogging has destroyed journalistic integrity. The public is easily swayed into the mob mentality online and that is bad.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    donraven wrote:
    This article is just one example of how the press can twist things (or just plain not do their homework) into a story that is completely not true and pass it off as fact.

and this one here also implies that Target is the only store they will be partnering with. No mention of the independent record stores:

Just a quick search on Pearl Jam on Google news reveals quite a few of these types of inaccurate reports. Just thought I'd mention it, I've been reading whats been going on all week but felt the need to post something. This might also mean they need to get the full details of their distribution plans out as fast as possible before it gets any worse.
    its ok by me...the thing is the music they put on..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    It would be good if pearljam.com had a statement in their news section to set the record straight. Curtis talking to EW and Billboard is one thing but a word front and center on pj.com would go a long way
    Sam
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 713
    Why should they have to post something to explain themselves to every dumbass who doesn't know what he or she is talking about?? let them have their opinion.. people have always and will always shit on pearl jam. in the words of EV, "it's a good example of what NOT to do"
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    It really felt like a savage witch hunt there for a few days.

So much negative press, and most of it was the media twisting and ommitting the facts in order to mount a rather vicious attack against the band.

I was surpised to see how many of these people came out of the woodwork to join in on the frenzy. I really didn't expect that there was so many people who had such a grudge to bare with this band.

Even after Kelly gave the interview and explained what they were doing, there were still many who chose to ignore the Billboard article and omitt the facts for the sole purpose of smearing the band,

This must have really blindsided Kelly Curtis and the guys.

I'm sure their intention was to release the information all at once. They were waiting unitl all of the loose ends were tied up before making an announcment.

But once news of the video shoot broke, as well as the Target thing...It was open season.

I feel really bad for them because It really sucks that they didn't get to release the information the way they wanted. A way in which there would have been no confusion and this bullshit about being sellouts.

This probably reminded them of those "crazy days" and why it was that they had so much contempt for the media back then.
  • Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    aNiMaL wrote:
    One of the bad things I see is that someone with an opinion and half facts or truths will write a dissertation for all to read about the atrocities of something or another. But they only have part of the facts or the story. Blogging has destroyed journalistic integrity. The public is easily swayed into the mob mentality online and that is bad.
    Well said. I have a website about Pot Monster movies, yet nobody quotes me as "news" either on the subject of either "Pot" or "Monsters". Perhaps I'll start a blog!
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Maybe if the 10C actually released proper info instead of keeping everyone in the dark this sort of thing wouldn't happen. Curtis wouldn't have to explain anything.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    It really felt like a savage witch hunt there for a few days.

So much negative press, and most of it was the media twisting and ommitting the facts in order to mount a rather vicious attack against the band.

I was surpised to see how many of these people came out of the woodwork to join in on the frenzy. I really didn't expect that there was so many people who had such a grudge to bare with this band.

Even after Kelly gave the interview and explained what they were doing, there were still many who chose to ignore the Billboard article and omitt the facts for the sole purpose of smearing the band,

This must have really blindsided Kelly Curtis and the guys.

I'm sure their intention was to release the information all at once. They were waiting unitl all of the loose ends were tied up before making an announcment.

But once news of the video shoot broke, as well as the Target thing...It was open season.

I feel really bad for them because It really sucks that they didn't get to release the information the way they wanted. A way in which there would have been no confusion and this bullshit about being sellouts.

This probably reminded them of those "crazy days" and why it was that they had so much contempt for the media back then.
    I just feel bad because I was so rash and ready to pounce on the band for this.. Kat, if you or any mod responsible for deleting - consider this my apology.. I should've had more faith in this band - clearly, they still have an affinity for the little guy, and have morals which mean more to them than cash.
    I think the big problem was that they wanted an announcement to be made on a blank slate - they wanted there to be no news, followed by big news.. rather than big false news, followed by a correction. At the time it seemed so strange and wrong that they would simply delete tons and tons of threads on this board - now I understand it.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    krymsinkrymsin Posts: 75
    Why should they have to post something to explain themselves to every dumbass who doesn't know what he or she is talking about?? let them have their opinion.. people have always and will always shit on pearl jam. in the words of EV, "it's a good example of what NOT to do"

It's rather simple, really -- because it's not the "dumbasses" that really matter. It's the reputable news sites that we all know and trust.

Whenever a media outlet -- Rolling Stone, Billboard, etc. -- is looking for information about a story about a band, the rational first stop is the band's Web site.

At the bottom of the PearlJam.com home page is a hotlink for "press inquiries." There's nothing in there regarding the current madness ...

Kelly Curtis' interviews with Billboard and EW.com certainly answered the scads of questions i had surrounding all this. It also made me feel better about the whole thing (although i'm still not crazy about those who attended the "secret show" to not be able to talk about it ... but i digress).

Now that all this is out the bag, a formalized press release from Curtis addressing the things he explained to Billboard and Entertainment Weekly would help quell the misinformation that is sure to come in the news stories that follow. News agencies typically shun quoting other news sources, so being able to use the comments for themself would help tell a better -- and more complete -- story.
    If you hate something,
    Don't you do it, too.
  • Options
    mattosbornemattosborne Posts: 339
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Maybe if the 10C actually released proper info instead of keeping everyone in the dark this sort of thing wouldn't happen. Curtis wouldn't have to explain anything.

Thank you. Other band websites actually give news updates from time to time. Backspacer? Album Art? Track listing? Target? Commercial? The Fixer? Got Some?

NONE of which came from this website via a news update. It's a little sad really. I love the ten club as much as the next guy (been a member for almost 6 years with every intention of renewing), and I love Got Some, think the art looked cool but the updates on this site are down right PATHETIC.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    donraven wrote:

Ummm... what in either of those articles is inaccurate? Aside from the one article not mentioning the indie store thing, which is not yet confirmed... how is that at all wrong?
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,391
    stickfig13 wrote:

Thank you. Other band websites actually give news updates from time to time. Backspacer? Album Art? Track listing? Target? Commercial? The Fixer? Got Some?

NONE of which came from this website via a news update. It's a little sad really. I love the ten club as much as the next guy (been a member for almost 6 years with every intention of renewing), and I love Got Some, think the art looked cool but the updates on this site are down right PATHETIC.

The thing is, we don't know for sure if anything at all is finished. Kelly Curtis said they were still working things out with the whole Target deal so I can completely understand them not wanting to make an official announcement until everything was set in stone.

Aside from one or two online articles from people claiming they've heard the album, we don't know if the album is actually finished or if the band has settled on a definite tracklist order. Tom Tomorrow says that the artwork isn't finished yet either.

The band mentioned that the album is out around September, so maybe we should all stop acting like hyenas and just be a little bit patient.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    I'm less concerned with Album info. The album will come out when it comes out and you will be able to buy it where it's sold. I would rather not have 2 days to decide how many concerts I want to attend.

That is my only concern with the 10C. For $20 a year, I'm not complaining about anything else....
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    donravendonraven Posts: 138
    donraven wrote:

Ummm... what in either of those articles is inaccurate? Aside from the one article not mentioning the indie store thing, which is not yet confirmed... how is that at all wrong?

Not mentioning the independent record store thing (which was confirmed by Kelly, its the reason they chose Target and not some other big retailer, it let them "take care of the little guys" and that Target understood they weren't the indie store's competition) is one thing but they flat out go ahead an make the implication that Target is the only place you'll be able to get the album (outside the website) which is flat out wrong and makes the band look very bad in the process.
    Boston, MA - Sept 28, 2004
    Halifax, NS - Sept 22, 2005
    Toronto, ON - August 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON - Sept 11, 2011
    Toronto, ON - Sept 12, 2011
    London, ON - July 16, 2013
    Boston, MA - Aug 7, 2016
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:

Did you ever think that maybe the information wasn't ready to be disseminated due to the deals not being finalized? Possibly, they were not ready to tell us the information until all the ducks were in a row. CLEARLY, there was more to the story than what originally leaked out.

Settle down young grass hopper. When the information is ready to be had, we will all have it.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

Did you ever think that maybe the information wasn't ready to be disseminated due to the deals not being finalized? Possibly, they were not ready to tell us the information until all the ducks were in a row. CLEARLY, there was more to the story than what originally leaked out.

Settle down young grass hopper. When the information is ready to be had, we will all have it.

Is that a shout out to David Caradine?
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Is that a shout out to David Caradine?
    No, but that is really too bad about his death yesterday. :(
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Well said. I have a website about Pot Monster movies, yet nobody quotes me as "news" either on the subject of either "Pot" or "Monsters". Perhaps I'll start a blog!
    The bold statement is, unfortunately, too true. When people start basically transcribing conversations they're having in their head, what most blogs are, and it's tagged as 'news' is a sad day and it's here.

The italic part is wicked cool. I'd love the link! :D
    Why go home?