Options

Different ways Pearl Jam releases an album

STT757STT757 Posts: 302
edited June 2009 in The Porch
I've been thinking about all the anticipation of the upcoming album, how we all waited for them to debut the new song last night. The controversy over a rough mp3 of another new song not yet debuted etc..

It seems Pearl Jam as a band have really changed up how they approach new albums, in the past new songs would be trotted out several months in advance of an albums release. In some cases (Parting Ways, Brain of J, Red Mosquito) new songs were played live years before the albums were made.

"Brain of J" was played in live 1995 3 years before Yield was released.
"Parting Ways" was heard at several sound checks in 1996, four years before Binaural was released.
"Red Mosquito was played live a good year before No Code was released.
"Daughter" was played live a good year before Vs. was released.

Pearl Jam played pretty much every song on Vs. live months before Vs. was released. There was a show in May 1993 in San Francisco where Pearl Jam played almost every song that would eventually be on Vs., this was five months before Vs. was released. They also played Betterman that night, a good 19 months before Vitalogy.

And speaking of Vitalogy nearly every song on that album was played live a year prior to Vitalogy being released, most of the Vitalogy songs were played live during the Vs. tour.

Besides Parting Ways on Binaural which was sound checked but never played live in '96, and Nothing As it Seems which was played live at the Bridge School benefit in 1999 Pearl Jam have avoided trotting out new music ahead of album promoting the way they used to. Save You was played live for the first time a mere week prior to Riot Act's release, WWS was premiered 1 month prior to Self Titled. If the dates for the new album are correct they debuted "got Some" about three months prior to the new album, who knows when we'll here the next song.

It seems to me that Pearl jam's old formula worked, during the last mini tour last year Pearl Jam should have been premiering songs for the forth coming album. In fact the band would probably have premiered a song or two during the 2006 tour if they were still following the models they used for developing albums in the '90s.

I'm trying to summarize what I'm trying to say, basically I'm pointing out that ever since Binaural Pearl Jam have either written and recorded music in a much shorter amount of time than they used to, or their holding back on premiering their music until just prior to an albums release. Neither of which I think is good practice.
Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Comatose was played quite a bit of time before the self-titled was released... it was called "Crapshoot Rapture" back then. lols... glad they went w/ comatose.
  • Options
    I really think you're overlooking the fact that they have so many songs to get through in a night that they can't bother playing stuff that is half-written or barely done... Back on the Vs. tour they played a few songs from Vitalogy every so often, not "almost all of them"... but you can chalk that up to not having a large catalog to fill up a very long set list like we're accustomed to now... the time between albums was also much shorter back then... every other year vs. every 3 years or so... you need to realize that the band is on the back half of their career and they are not going to churn out new material all the time.... they could honestly tour for the rest of their career on the song catalog they have right now and still be very successful.
  • Options
    STT757 wrote:
    It seems to me that Pearl jam's old formula worked, during the last mini tour last year Pearl Jam should have been premiering songs for the forth coming album. In fact the band would probably have premiered a song or two during the 2006 tour if they were still following the models they used for developing albums in the '90s.

I'm trying to summarize what I'm trying to say, basically I'm pointing out that ever since Binaural Pearl Jam have either written and recorded music in a much shorter amount of time than they used to, or their holding back on premiering their music until just prior to an albums release. Neither of which I think is good practice.

why?
  • Options
    lukinsdadlukinsdad Posts: 57
    AS long as they keep putting out new stuff and touring...who gives an "i got shit" how they do it? :twisted:
  • Options
    nw206329nw206329 Posts: 3
    Like everything things change, what might have worked for them back then must not now. They can do as they like in my opinion with how they prepare there new music.
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    if they play the new songs, the new songs end up on the net 2-3 years earlier than the record's release.
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    ewokpelts wrote:
    if they play the new songs, the new songs end up on the net 2-3 years earlier than the record's release.

They were ending up on boot legs years before the appeared on albums anyway, what's the difference. If anything it would build more enthusiasm and they could see for themselves the crowds reactions to the songs, and whether they should keep working on the song or toss. Go back and listen to the initial crowd reactions after they played Betterman, Immortality etc.. during the Vs. tour in '93. After the song the crowd gave some of the loudest cheers of the night, they knew the songs were going to be hits from the crowds reaction.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,537
    STT757 wrote:

"Red Mosquito was played live a good year before No Code was released.

same goes for "Lukin", which was called a couple of different names back then,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Elbereth84Elbereth84 Posts: 253
    STT757 wrote:
    Pearl Jam played pretty much every song on Vs. live months before Vs. was released. There was a show in May 1993 in San Francisco where Pearl Jam played almost every song that would eventually be on Vs., this was five months before Vs. was released. They also played Betterman that night, a good 19 months before Vitalogy.

I think you can't count Betterman ... cause it's actually a very old song that Eddie wrote in his Bad Radio times (or prior?). And as far as I know Betterman was actually supposed to be on Vs. ... but the band decided to put it not on the record, because they were feared it would be a "too successful song". Eventually Betterman ended to be a part of Vitalogy.

I think/hope they will play some new stuff at their forthcoming shows! :)
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    I think playing songs live is a great way to test out new material and see what works and what doesn't connect. However, as we can clearly see by the pirated MP3 recording, the speed at which unreleased material makes it's way to our ears has shortened to almost instantaneous. 15 or 16 years ago things may have found there way on to bootlegs, but in the pre-internet days boots were a more "select" audience that had to work a little harder to seek them out. Now you can get a pretty decent recording almost as it happens. So that leads to the question for an artist, how much of my new album do I want exposed before I am ready to release it?
    Sam
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    samnation wrote:
    I think playing songs live is a great way to test out new material and see what works and what doesn't connect. However, as we can clearly see by the pirated MP3 recording, the speed at which unreleased material makes it's way to our ears has shortened to almost instantaneous. 15 or 16 years ago things may have found there way on to bootlegs, but in the pre-internet days boots were a more "select" audience that had to work a little harder to seek them out. Now you can get a pretty decent recording almost as it happens. So that leads to the question for an artist, how much of my new album do I want exposed before I am ready to release it?

exactly....you covered it all.
    the WORLD has changed, not the least of which the music industry, so of course pearl jam has to change, too.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    KJ101081 wrote:
    AS long as they keep putting out new stuff and touring...who gives an "i got shit" how they do it? :twisted:
    exactly..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimBerkellJimBerkell Posts: 579
    Ed did write 'Gone' the night before in Atlantic City... played it for the crowd and liked it so much they recorded it for s/t... I'd imagine that nowadays the band doesn't spend every waking moment together anymore so they just keep their ideas to themselves until around the time to make a new album... then they hash 'em out w/ the band... and work from there. They don't really need to wait for crowd reaction. They know good songs.
    "You could have licked the lips of God, but you chose the pavement..." ~ These Arms Are Snakes