Thinking of adding a 2nd tubescreamer to the set up

greggv19greggv19 Posts: 37
edited June 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I see that some people on here have a set up and use 2 TS-9's and I was thinking of doing the same. I already have 1 I use for mainly light overdrive (think immortality/sad). I was thinking to use the first as a straight boost for leads/solos along with my amps overdrive and the second as a light overdrive on top of the clean channel. Any thoughts or input for those who may already have this going?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I had a few overdrives on my board. One (like you have), one main overdrive, and one heavy one (for boosting). It's a great thing to have BUT, maybe try a different overdrive (like BD-2. That's the most versatile pedal, IMO. Subtle overdrive, good booster, and even a great crunch distortion).
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I use two Keeley-modified Tubescreamers on my board, and I love it. I don't use any distortion or fuzz on my pedalboard, all I have are the two TS-9's and my compressor. The first TS is pretty typical, set to a light overdrive that pushes the front end of my amp nicely. The second TS is designed for lots more gain, and I use that for almost-distortion settings. If I combine the two pedals, then I can get much more drive, and if I add the compressor, it's almost fuzz-like, lots of sustain.

Really, it comes down to whether you like the tone of a TS. If so, then a second one can add another level of gain to your setup. If not, then I'd look for some other options. What other OD/Distortion/Fuzz boxes do you have?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • greggv19greggv19 Posts: 37
    I currently run a epiphone custom les into a peavey valveking 212. Decent enough for me for recreational playing with some friends. On the board I have a vox wah, ts-9, big muff nyc, small clone. I also have a DS-1 but recently have not even been using it and it has been not in the lineup. For PJ stuff I usually play the amps OD straight and then sometimes with the amps boost for some leads but I'm not crazy about the noise it produces. It is a little too metal sounding and feedbackish.
    greggv19 wrote:
    I currently run a epiphone custom les into a peavey valveking 212. Decent enough for me for recreational playing with some friends. On the board I have a vox wah, ts-9, big muff nyc, small clone. I also have a DS-1 but recently have not even been using it and it has been not in the lineup. For PJ stuff I usually play the amps OD straight and then sometimes with the amps boost for some leads but I'm not crazy about the noise it produces. It is a little too metal sounding and feedbackish.

Well, it sounds like you're good for overdrive/distortion. (For the DS1, maybe mod it? It might add a bit to your overdrive/distortion). It's all up to you for the TS9 but I still suggest a BD2. If you don't like it, you can always mod it.
  • greggv19greggv19 Posts: 37
    It all comes back to the ever extensive search for the "perfect" tone... I think I am going to check out the BD2 as an alternate. I used to play a friends maybe 10 years ago just for the distortion but never thought of it since.
    Keep us updated!
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    Have a look at the MJM Blues Devil Pedal. Not sure if it still being made but if you ever find one anywhere buy it without hesitation. You will never regret the purchase. I grabbed one of Ebay very cheap and was lucky. Search for a review on harmony central for it. You will see that no-one can find a bad word for it. Best of luck.