Options

TicketMonster Slain???

2»

Comments

• Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    This legislation will do nothing to stop/slow ticket scalping or do anything to hurt Ticketmaster or any other ticketing company... basically just feel good legislation like our government usually loves to pass.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    the paperless ticket method works brilliantly! i was at the houston tom waits show and didn't have any problems. there were enough attendants that there was no line. they just swiped my credit card with their portable POS machine and it printed out a receipt with my seat number.

this method worked so well i was able to get row B when tix went on sale. i would have been sitting half way back in the orchestra or further if brokers and scalpers were able to get tix...

so i am all for it. more artists and bands should do it.
  • Options
    the paperless ticket method works brilliantly! i was at the houston tom waits show and didn't have any problems. there were enough attendants that there was no line. they just swiped my credit card with their portable POS machine and it printed out a receipt with my seat number.

this method worked so well i was able to get row B when tix went on sale. i would have been sitting half way back in the orchestra or further if brokers and scalpers were able to get tix...

so i am all for it. more artists and bands should do it.
    Good to know! Thanks for sharing. I'm all for something that works - especially when it can be done without the government!

There was a previous post about writing to lawmakers to support this bill. I'd advocate writing to bands asking them to support paperless ticketing instead. Oh, and I'd advocate writing to your legislators telling them to work on things that actually matter.
    Why go home?
  • Options
    I think that the paperless ticketing approach is a good idea and can work pretty well...

As a band, promoter, etc., I would just be leery of the idea of making it harder for people to buy tickets or go to my shows.... Especially with sales down due to the economy...

Not everyone uses credit cards (TM screens out the pre-paid cards), not everyone uses or buys tickets on the internet or wants to pay service charges... etc. We complain about fees, but if shows go this route, then there is no more buying at the box office (unless I guess the night of the show).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722

As a band, promoter, etc., I would just be leery of the idea of making it harder for people to buy tickets or go to my shows.... Especially with sales down due to the economy...

I would have to guess that 95% of the sales are done online nowadays. I'd say that the 3% out of the 5% can switch to buying online with their CC too. ...and screw the other 2%. :D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

I would have to guess that 95% of the sales are done online nowadays. I'd say that the 3% out of the 5% can switch to buying online with their CC too. ...and screw the other 2%. :D

It depends on the market and show, but it's around 70%
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I think that the paperless ticketing approach is a good idea and can work pretty well...

Not everyone uses credit cards (TM screens out the pre-paid cards), not everyone uses or buys tickets on the internet or wants to pay service charges... etc. We complain about fees, but if shows go this route, then there is no more buying at the box office (unless I guess the night of the show).
    You're not going to get a solution that fits all criteria. A lot of the reason brokers are flourishing is that states repealed scalping laws, promoters/bands/venues just want sell outs, and last, but certainly not least, fans pay the brokers for the tickets above face.

Paperless ticketing doens't make it 'harder' to buy tickets, it just makes the tickets viable to only those who bought them. If you put the same requirement of using a credit card even at box office or outlet sales, you'd have the ability to ticket 'at the show' for each POS and avoid any service charges people go to the box office to avoid. Eliminating the use of cash to stop brokers is a service to the greater good, if you ask me.
    Why go home?
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    CJMST3K wrote:

Do you know if that's an all-demographic percentage? I mean, the acts that are the most popular nowadays that scalpers try to get first will probably also have the ticket-buyers with the highest online buying. I'm thinking that if they did a paperless system (whether online or at an outlet) for just the most likely scalped tickets, that would go a long way.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You're not going to get a solution that fits all criteria. A lot of the reason brokers are flourishing is that states repealed scalping laws, promoters/bands/venues just want sell outs, and last, but certainly not least, fans pay the brokers for the tickets above face.

Paperless ticketing doens't make it 'harder' to buy tickets, it just makes the tickets viable to only those who bought them. If you put the same requirement of using a credit card even at box office or outlet sales, you'd have the ability to ticket 'at the show' for each POS and avoid any service charges people go to the box office to avoid. Eliminating the use of cash to stop brokers is a service to the greater good, if you ask me.

Good points... it does make it a little less convenient (everyone has to enter together, if you can't make the show you can't give/sell to someone else, etc), but as far as buying, you are right if it is implemented across all avenues of purchase.
    Post edited by blackredyellow on
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Do you know if that's an all-demographic percentage? I mean, the acts that are the most popular nowadays that scalpers try to get first will probably also have the ticket-buyers with the highest online buying. I'm thinking that if they did a paperless system (whether online or at an outlet) for just the most likely scalped tickets, that would go a long way.[/quote]

Yeah, it's an all-demographic, but it doesn't vary much... I work in a box office and I just checked some random bigger shows that we've had in the past couple of years, and I didn't see it any higher than 75%... but markets like NYC where you can't buy at the box office when they go onsale, it's gotta be much higher.

Like you said, it does make sense to use for the most likely scalped tickets. I don't know if I'd like to see it implemented across the board.

Also, like heather_honey said, you can't find an solution that makes everyone happy.

I'll be interested to see how this MIley Cyrus tour goes.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    NY ticket buyers get a reprieve:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD98K4E5G0

Albany let the scalping repeal expire so now brokers are bound to the pre-2007 law that puts a $2 over face cap on ticket resellers. It'll be interesting to see places like StubHub start cracking down on asking prices.

There was a local story about this on the ABC affiliate about the paperless ticketing last night. There was a StubHub rep interviewed who thought it was a bad idea because buyers wouldn't be able to guarantee the tickets were real. :lol: He also speculated that brokers would descend on the venue to pick up their paperless tickets, anyway and resell them at the venue. :lol:
    Why go home?
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Cosmo wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    I just heard that Congress is introducing a bill that will require TicketMaster to list how many tickets will be put up for sale, how many tickets are being held back for Fan Clubs, Promotions and band. and will not let ticket brokers to buty tickets during the first 48 hours of the public sale.
    Looking up details and confirmation.
    The legislation is called 'the Boss act'... after Bruce Sprinsteen.

Rest assured the ticket brokers (scalpers) will find a way.
    I agree.
    But, hopefully, not as freely and in as great a number as they are getting away with today.
    as fans... I feel WE are responsible, too. Every time we buy a scalped ticket... we validate that tranaction as a legitimate business. No buyers... no scalpers.
    which is why I NEVER buy from scalpers.
    if it means I don't go so be it.
    Nor do I ever sell them a spare. I'd rather eat the ticket. (and have)

The paperless option has some real problems for genuine buyers though (aside that it saves TM money I'm 99% sure it won't pass on).. unless they have a re-buy policy: lots of shit can happen between the time the tickets are on sale and the day of the show and not being able to resell your ticket for face or pass it on if needed would be a problem. (plus other practical problems.even more so at GA shows)
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:

The paperless option has some real problems for genuine buyers though (aside that it saves TM money I'm 99% sure it won't pass on).. unless they have a re-buy policy: lots of shit can happen between the time the tickets are on sale and the day of the show and not being able to resell your ticket for face or pass it on if needed would be a problem. (plus other practical problems.even more so at GA shows)
    TM *sometimes* has that TicketExchange page for events. It lets you put in whatever price you want, which they should stop allowing. However, what they do is cancel the previously issued tickets and reprint new ones to the second buyer. You know the ticket is legit and, if people sell them for face back into the market, it would take care of people whose plans change between purchase and event. They wouldn't even need to cancel and reprint if it went paperless, either.
    Why go home?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,007
    Pegasus wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    [quoe="Cosmo"]I just heard that Congress is introducing a bill that will require TicketMaster to list how many tickets will be put up for sale, how many tickets are being held back for Fan Clubs, Promotions and band. and will not let ticket brokers to buty tickets during the first 48 hours of the public sale.
    Looking up details and confirmation.
    The legislation is called 'the Boss act'... after Bruce Sprinsteen.[/qote]

Rest assured the ticket brokers (scalpers) will find a way.
    I agree.
    But, hopefully, not as freely and in as great a number as they are getting away with today.
    as fans... I feel WE are responsible, too. Every time we buy a scalped ticket... we validate that tranaction as a legitimate business. No buyers... no scalpers.

I would imagine Ticketbastard would probably offer a re-buy policy with an absurdly large "restocking fee" for a refund, or enforce a "transfer fee" to have the name and credit card initially billed - refunded - and to bill another name/credit card for a ticket reselling at face value.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    benjs wrote:
    Pegasus wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    I agree.

I would imagine Ticketbastard would probably offer a re-buy policy with an absurdly large "restocking fee" for a refund, or enforce a "transfer fee" to have the name and credit card initially billed - refunded - and to bill another name/credit card for a ticket reselling at face value.
    yeah sorry, I was meaning a fair re-buy policy ..which is an oxymoron when talking about TM.
    TM *sometimes* has that TicketExchange page for events. It lets you put in whatever price you want, which they should stop allowing. However, what they do is cancel the previously issued tickets and reprint new ones to the second buyer. You know the ticket is legit and, if people sell them for face back into the market, it would take care of people whose plans change between purchase and event. They wouldn't even need to cancel and reprint if it went paperless, either.
    do they have a fee on this or they do it for free?
  • Options
    benjs wrote:

If they offer a transfer, then it lets the scalpers right back in.... If I'm a broker and face value was $100 and I wanted to charge you $500, all I would have to do is use $100 of that to "buy" the transfer and keep the rest as profit (and get my refund for the original I spent).

And the rebuy approach causes some issues... not long after the ticket is sold, that money is transferred to the venue, so it's not really TM's money to refund.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    do they have a fee on this or they do it for free?
    Great question. I used the TicketExchange to buy basketball tickets when I was away on business and had some unexpected free time. The service fee was no more than what I would have initially paid to TM and my seats were face value. What or if they charge the seller, I couldn't tell you. Maybe someone here has re-sold using TicketExchange and can reply.

If they offer a transfer, then it lets the scalpers right back in.... If I'm a broker and face value was $100 and I wanted to charge you $500, all I would have to do is use $100 of that to "buy" the transfer and keep the rest as profit (and get my refund for the original I spent).

And the rebuy approach causes some issues... not long after the ticket is sold, that money is transferred to the venue, so it's not really TM's money to refund.

I think sellers have to set up TM accounts to use TicketExchange for selling. Currently they DO allow the seller to set the price. They should limit that and make it a true 'Exchange'. Once TM collects the payment from the second buyer, they can refund the seller and extract whatver fees they impose for the 'convenience' of not forfeiting the ticket. The only other alternative is to only buy tickets for events you will be at, hell or high water, or be prepared to forfeit the money if you can't make it.
    Why go home?
  • Options

I think sellers have to set up TM accounts to use TicketExchange for selling. Currently they DO allow the seller to set the price. They should limit that and make it a true 'Exchange'. Once TM collects the payment from the second buyer, they can refund the seller and extract whatver fees they impose for the 'convenience' of not forfeiting the ticket. The only other alternative is to only buy tickets for events you will be at, hell or high water, or be prepared to forfeit the money if you can't make it.

But what I'm saying is that tickets can still be sold above face value... As far as TM knows, the transfer can be restricted to face value, but nothing is stopping me from charging you money on the side for the transfer.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

But what I'm saying is that tickets can still be sold above face value... As far as TM knows, the transfer can be restricted to face value, but nothing is stopping me from charging you money on the side for the transfer.
    True but you can't expect TM, or any other company, to control people's behavior outside of their User Agreement.

If I bought tickets off their site, the rules were face value and a seller tried to shake me down 'offline' you bet I'd be reporting them. Violate the user agreement, the seller's tickets are void and put back in the public pool. Not unlike when they catch people going over show max limits with multiple accounts and the same billing address. It would be nice if they added 'without a refund' in the instance of a shakedown, but, well, I guess opportunists have rights, too.
    Why go home?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    Cosmo wrote:
    I agree.

i think this is such an excellent point... if we wouldn't pay 300% for a springsteen ticket (or any ticket) the market for broker tickets would shrivel up and die...
    CORRECT..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”