Options

"Backspacer" will be Target Exclusive

Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
edited June 2009 in The Porch
By Bill Werde Bill Werde – Mon Jun 1, 8:38 pm ET
NEW YORK (Billboard) – As Internet reports suggested, Pearl Jam was indeed recording a Target commercial under the direction of Cameron Crowe last week at Seattle's Showbox theater. But there's more to the story than an exclusive retail relationship.

It has been known that Pearl Jam is no longer under contract, after 18 years of recording for Sony-affiliated labels, and there has been a good deal of speculation about who would release the rock act's next album. Kelly Curtis, who has managed Pearl Jam since day one, conducted a wide-ranging interview with Billboard on Sunday night, confirming that the band's next release -- rumored to be called "Backspacer" and currently scheduled for an early fall release -- would arrive without a U.S. label but backed by a consortium of partners, including Target as the "big box" retail partner.

"We'll have a lot of partners," said Curtis, who confirmed that deals were finished or in the works with an online retailer, a mobile partner, a gaming company and a network or possibly networks of indie retail stores.

"Target ended up allowing us to have other partners. We'll be able to take care of all levels of the Pearl Jam fan ... We wish we could tell the whole story right now, but all the deals aren't done. Target was cool enough to realize that little independent record stores are not their competition." Curtis was quick to note that the album would be for sale via Pearl Jam's fan club, Ten Club.

News of the Target commercial taping broke last week on antiquiet.com, which is also hosting a bootleg recording from the Target taping of a song that Curtis confirmed was called "The Fixer" and is in the running as the album's first single.

Curtis said the Target commercial was only one reason for the Showbox session; with singer Eddie Vedder on tour supporting his solo work for the next month, "we had a narrow window to get some footage," Curtis said. "We shot three or four songs that night." Curtis said that some of the footage may be used for a project that filmmaker Crowe is working on in connection with the band's upcoming 20th anniversary.
St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    No shit
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    land_ho_fs.jpg

PLEASE SIR, WE BEG YOU! SEARCH BEFORE POSTING!
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Haha nice one stephen flow
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    You should change your screen name to NEWB! ;-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    :|
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
This discussion has been closed.