Options

Conan Did Monster Numbers Last Night

PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107
edited June 2009 in The Porch
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... id=14&cs=1
Conan O'Brien's premiere on NBC's hallowed "The Tonight Show" produced the show's best Monday overnight rating in four years, standing as the evening's top-rated program -- latenight or primetime.

Three nights after Jay Leno averaged a monster 8.8 household rating/20 share in Nielsen's metered-market overnights, "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien" bowed with a 7.1 rating/17 share. The rating represents an 82% improvement over the second-quarter average of "Tonight" (3.9) in the nation's 56 biggest markets.

This is the best Monday delivery for "The Tonight Show" since a January 2005 telecast featuring a special tribute to Johnny Carson. And it ranks as the seventh-highest Monday for the program since Leno took over "Tonight" in 1992.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    It would be intersting to see how Jimmy Fallon's show did last night ... only for the fact that it would show how many people continued on thorugh PJ.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    with or without PJ, this wouldn't surprise me
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I watched it all last night and enjoyed it, Will Ferrel was awesome and I got so excited when PJ came on haha :D
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    LukinFan wrote:

Yeah, there's not even a mention of PJ in the article. The musical guest in this situation was meaningless as far as ratings go.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,733
    LukinFan wrote:

totally. Pearl Jam had little if anything to do with this monster rating. There's people who have been religiously watching the Tonight Show for over 40 years and wouldn't have missed last night's show for the world.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    Good to hear, lets hope they caught Pearl Jam, even if it wasn't Ed at his best!
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    I watched it all last night and enjoyed it, Will Ferrel was awesome and I got so excited when PJ came on haha :D

i actually thought it sucked - if that is what is passing for comedy these days we are in trouble. and other than the way he came in will ferrell sucked in my opinion as well. i thougth the opening with Conan running was cool but everything between that and PJ was average at best in my opinion.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    PJ_kidd wrote:

i actually thought he wasnt funny at all which is suprising because most of his interviews are pretty hilarious

as far as the ratings i think it had little to do with PJ but thats the only reason why i personally tuned in because im usually in bed for work that day
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    pjhawks wrote:

i actually thought it sucked - if that is what is passing for comedy these days we are in trouble. and other than the way he came in will ferrell sucked in my opinion as well. i thougth the opening with Conan running was cool but everything between that and PJ was average at best in my opinion.

That's much of how I felt. It's like Conan was not quite himself.

Letterman's show was much better last night, though Coney won the ratings.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    CG49089CG49089 Posts: 109
    rhinomagic wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

That's much of how I felt. It's like Conan was not quite himself.

Letterman's show was much better last night, though Coney won the ratings.

I thought it was great... Conan rules... so excited about him being on the tonight show... I would watch Conan over Leterman 99 times out of 100... if not more.

Conan rules.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    rhinomagic wrote:
    It's like Conan was not quite himself.

I'm sure it'll get better. Being a new program and in a new studio they're still working out the kinks. Late NIght was pretty iffy when it first went on the air with Conan because it hadn't found it's rhythm yet. The dynamics of the Tonight Show are going to be different but it'll be fun watching them find their groove. Especially if PJ comes back.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    conan was off last night, looked a little nervous at times. i am sure it will take time to get his groove again.

also, will ferrell is an awful interview. that guy takes himself wayyyyyyyyyyy too seriously.
  • Options
    mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    i couldnt stand how will ferrell kept talking almost like george bush, but i tend to enjoy conans skits, especially when he got that girl pregnant revvin his ford taurus engine.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    conan was off last night, looked a little nervous at times. i am sure it will take time to get his groove again.

also, will ferrell is an awful interview. that guy takes himself wayyyyyyyyyyy too seriously.

Will Ferrell takes himself seriously?? People that don't think he's funny take themselves too seriously.

I thought Conan was pretty solid last night. I'm not gettin the hate. Of course, its not gonna be the best show ever his first time out. The earlier crowd is gonna react different to what he's used to. He can't just be as crazy as he used to be.

Seems like some people just don't have a modern sense of humor, like Conan's.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    DewieCox wrote:

Will Ferrell takes himself seriously?? People that don't think he's funny take themselves too seriously.

I thought Conan was pretty solid last night. I'm not gettin the hate. Of course, its not gonna be the best show ever his first time out. The earlier crowd is gonna react different to what he's used to. He can't just be as crazy as he used to be.

Seems like some people just don't have a modern sense of humor, like Conan's.

i never said he wasn't funny. i enjoy most of his movies. i just personally don't like him in an interview. but i do like how you write off everyone that doesn't find him amusing.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    Will Ferrel was awesome :D

he was???? :roll: :roll: :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    CG49089CG49089 Posts: 109
    Not too shabby... but I actually would have hoped for bigger numbers... everybody should have been watching... apparently, the ratings were the best for a Monday in four years or so... which is good... but it would have been nice to see some unprecedented ratings.... in my mind it was a historic occasion... I was loving it...I've been waiting for Conan to take the 1130 slot for a long time... Jay Leno was good for what he was, but Conan is just friggin great.

just a giant Conan fan I guess (not to mention PJ fan). I'm excited for the years to come.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,169
    and if was counting the europeans that we see it online the numbers was up more..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”