Options

EV Shows - Audience behavior at each venue - comparison

CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
edited June 2009 in Given To Fly (live)
Has anyone been to all nights, or a number of nights to be able to compare apples-to-apples? I'm wonder if the Baltimore 1 crowd was much worse than the other crowds, or about the same. B1 is the only show I've seen this tour, so I can't tell, but it seemed about the same as DC2 from the last tour, but I think the shouting is what made Ed abandon Arc, which was a really sad thing to see happen.

Can anyone compare?
ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
*NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
*MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
*Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
*Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
*Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
*VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
*EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
*Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I went to the first 5 shows of this leg. I thought the most respectful crowd was probably Albany 1, followed by either Albany 2 or Philly 1. Philly 2 was pretty bad for yellers I thought...at least where I was (Orchestra row B). I was thrilled to get a 3rd row ticket for Baltimore 1 off Ticketmaster and loved the show. There was an obnoxious jerk in row 2 who kept yelling out the score of the NBA Finals game. If we cared to know what the score was every moment, we would have stayed home and watched the damn game! There was another one in row 4 who kept yelling to Ed in a loud voice. Despite these two fools I still thought the show was tremendous. I hope Ed does another leg of solo shows at some point (during PJ down time) as I enjoyed the ones I show both last August and this month.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    I was quite impressed with the Philly crowd on night one
  • Options
    Albany 1 was so mellow...you could hear a fart from the noose bleeds...best Ev solo crowd out of the 4 solo shows i have been to.
  • Options
    TheRoosterTheRooster Baldwin, NY Posts: 7
    I went to 5 shows on the first East Coast solo tour and 2 this time. Philly 2 was aweful in terms of crowd yelling it really annoyed me out my now 7 total Eddie solo shows that was the worst for crowd yelling out, what especially was bad about the Philly 2 one was on parts where Eddie was playing kind of lower mellow acoustic guitar parts with no vocals people would yell over that which I found disrespectful and just obnoxious but of course Eddie was still awesome. Someone in a previous comment on this thread said DC2 was bad I didn't really find that to be the case but I had great seats so Eddie might have drowned out the fans.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    Does it really matter? Who gives a damn.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Does it really matter? Who gives a damn.

obviously, the OP ... and others posting.

I think when stories like "some guy in the crowd yelled 'play Gone!!' and then, Ed played it ... " surface, it only encourages people to yell more.

There are always going to be people who can't just enjoy the show an always feel a new to be PART of the show.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    leenecleenec Posts: 46
    TheRooster wrote:
    I went to 5 shows on the first East Coast solo tour and 2 this time. Philly 2 was aweful in terms of crowd yelling it really annoyed me out my now 7 total Eddie solo shows that was the worst for crowd yelling out, what especially was bad about the Philly 2 one was on parts where Eddie was playing kind of lower mellow acoustic guitar parts with no vocals people would yell over that which I found disrespectful and just obnoxious but of course Eddie was still awesome. Someone in a previous comment on this thread said DC2 was bad I didn't really find that to be the case but I had great seats so Eddie might have drowned out the fans.

Philly 2= TERRIBLE- the worst fans that night...who pays all that money and just talkes and yells the whole time?!?!?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    DCI was the worst for me.

Philly II was in the middle.

then Philly I as the best.

However, Philly I he really sped through his set and there wasnt much yellin' time. Also the Tower is much, much more cavernous. Warner was so intimate you could hear anything when it was quiet,
  • Options
    CP13458CP13458 Posts: 12
    I'm going to flip this on its head if you dont mind. I'm curious if anyone thinks that Pearl Jam fans are more "holier than thou" than ever. I have been an avid fan since the beginning and ten club member since 95. Just like most of you I've travelled, seen a bunch of shows, have stories, met the band, etc. I completely udnerstand people want to enjoy the show and everything, but dont you think its ridiculous how PJ fans post about rules for an Eddie show? I mean let's be honest, while I know we all pride ourselves in our taste in music and how we can separate the good stuff from the crap (almost immediately), when did everyone become so damn snobby?

I think Eddie is just as bad with it this year. Before he was polite about it, but now he's just flat out rude about it. In Baltimore he basically said, if you speak you're a drunk asshole. Really Eddie? Remember when you were in your 20s (like many of the 'shouters') and drunk for every public appearance you made?

And also that people should have respect for the place they are in and what the music played there means. Weren't you the one who won a grammy and said it didn't mean anything as part of your acceptance speech?

All I'm saying is that if you are going to control how people are behaving at your show, then you should A) Not open the show up to the public (non 10 club) who might know you as a rebellious-type rocker who plays rock music -- contrary to popular belief most of these people aren't there for an opera, and B) Not make people pay hard earned money to come see YOU.

In closing, let me say this I thoroughly enjoyed the shows I attended. To me however, it did not seem like Eddie enjoyed much of them at all (which was clearly visible) and I thought the "Pearl Jam Fans" shushing people was just as annoying as the yellers. Let us not forget about the correlation between rock and roll/punk/alternative and non-conformity. Because after awhile it seemed as if dont get Eddie mad or he'll cut the show short or not play something rare, etc., etc.

Next time just charge $1000 a ticket and price out all the yellers for people who will be quiet the whole time. Now that's rock and roll!! </end vent>
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited June 2009
    there is a big difference between being boisterous and loud.... and being a loudmouth asshole who needs to draw attention to themself.

Its not the time or place to yell shit when Eddie is talking. It distracts the performer, and ruins the show for a radius of people who are trying to enjoy it. All because mommy didnt pay enough attention years ago.

Eddie was talking (not even about politics) in Philly and someone yelled for him to shut the fuck up and play some music.... what kind of shit is that? Why is this person there? Did they think people around him would agree?
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    CP13458 wrote:
    I'm going to flip this on its head if you dont mind. I'm curious if anyone thinks that Pearl Jam fans are more "holier than thou" than ever.

Folks need to adjust to different venues and different shows. And it helps to have a little awareness
    of how the people around you are behaving.

One of my favorite rants on the subject ever, I give you Jeff Tweedy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3AOlbJXos
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    CP13458 wrote:
    I'm going to flip this on its head if you dont mind. I'm curious if anyone thinks that Pearl Jam fans are more "holier than thou" than ever.

Folks need to adjust to different venues and different shows. And it helps to have a little awareness
    of how the people around you are behaving.

One of my favorite rants on the subject ever, I give you Jeff Tweedy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew3AOlbJXos

I forgot about that Tweedy clip ... great stuff ...

If Ed was really pissed about it ... he could just quickly address the crowd at the beginning of the show ... like he did when they did the Mansfield acoustic set.

Ed's address to the Berkeley 1 shouters last year ... "Tom Waits once told me silence is like a blank sheet of paper, when you want quiet you don't want to be looking at a page with scribbles all over it."

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    JM55546JM55546 Posts: 129
    From worst to best, Boston 1 --> Boston 2 --> Albany 1

Boston 1 was so bad it was embarrassing, but was way better the 2nd night. Albany 1 was like being at a play, or like the Neil Young at Massey Hall 1971 show that was recently released on CD. Everyone clapping /yelling at the right times, but during the songs was damn quiet.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Albany 1 was so mellow...you could hear a fart from the noose bleeds...best Ev solo crowd out of the 4 solo shows i have been to.
    I actually thought the crowd at Albany 1 was half-asleep, they were so quiet. It was unusual.
  • Options
    pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,108
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I actually thought the crowd at Albany 1 was half-asleep, they were so quiet. It was unusual.

and Jeanwah you thought i was gonna be some drunkard..yelling and screamin shit...
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    pjbugs007 wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

and Jeanwah you thought i was gonna be some drunkard..yelling and screamin shit...
    I'm sure you were farting though. :lol:
    And we all thought you were going to be doing that...
  • Options
    pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,108
    was in the 3rd row n did say a peep or fart!
  • Options
    cbh1011cbh1011 Minnesota Posts: 138
    I respect the one post here that essentially was telling everyone to mellow out... but from my view, it's very discourteous to others to be yelling out your favorite song.... repeatedly. I was in Santa Barbara for Ed's show, seated in the balcony... great venue, intimate, phenomenal show. Some drunk guy three seats down from me, probably around 24, kept yelling out "Soon Forget". Now, that's my daughter's favorite PJ song, and I'd love to hear it too. I can see yelling it one time. Fact is, however, EV isn't going to hear from the balcony no matter how great the auditorium is. However, drunk guy yells it OVER AND OVER. Everyone around him is annoyed. Doesn't ruin the show, but he makes a very strong attempt to do so.

My suggestion, bring a sign. Show it a few times hoping to hear your fave, and be done with it. The Boss occassionaly will agree, ask for the sign to be passed up to the stage, and honors the request. I haven't been to enough EV solo shows to know how he handles it. But the fact remains that yelling out during an intimate performance for a specific song, or a random variety of songs for that matter, is really annoying to those around you.

And if you're curious or care what others think at all... we think you're an asshole. We're enjoying the show, want EV to enjoy and give as much passion to his performance, to the venue, to the aura we're experiencing and you are essentially saying "I'm more important than anything else going on here.. I need to be heard".

And I say bullshit.

Let EV play what's in his heart... what he feels moved to share with all of us.

It's not being pompous, or snobby, or anti-rebellious. It's about experiencing the whole night in the presence of greatness, and sharing what will be an incredibly memorable night with thousands of your newest friends.

Shut the fuck up and enjoy the show.

See you at the Ryman Ed.
    Can't wait.

Guaranteed, You are my man of the hour, and I'm gonna do my part to enjoy whatever you feel is in your heart to play for each of us.

My $.02.

Blake
    cbh1011
  • Options
    mattyk72mattyk72 NY Posts: 19
    Guess it depends on where you sit. I was at Albany N1 and I have to disagree with those that say it was mellow, I wouldn't say it was crazy but it definitely was not without some loud mouths. I was in the center section on the floor, probably about 20 rows back and there were a few people around me yelling "I love you Eddie" or yelling out song requests.

That said I've been to a few Dave & Tim shows and those shows definitely had more people yelling crap out. So all in all Albany N1 was generally pretty well behaved.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    There is a huge difference between being snobby, and expecting appropriate behavior at a quiet acoustic gig.

Too bad that some of the fans are unable to adjust their behavior!
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    I agree with what one poster said about the "holier than thou" attitude. I agree 100%. It has gotten progressively worse and there are a very large number of snobs around here. The concert etiquette posts are absurd. I can't imagine fans of any other band trying to dictate how other people should act at a show. It's a concert...people are going to yell. If people didn't yell out the Phillies score, we wouldn't have gotten that impromptu Phillies song night 1. One show he played Gone because of shoutouts. The whole place was screaming Hide Your Love Away in Philly. Were those people all wrong? If people didn't shout out in Newark last year we wouldn't have gotten the awesome story about the meaning of Yellow Ledbetter. IT'S A CONCERT IN A PUBLIC PLACE. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO YELL. THERE WILL BE ASSHOLES. If you are that rattled and disturbed by the prospect of your precious show being interrupted by a few annoying screamers then save your $88 and let someone else go.

And for people who claim to be embarrassed, why? That makes absolutely no sense. People screaming has nothing to do with you and doesn't reflect poorly on a single person here (unless you are a screamer). Be embarrassed when your fly is down or you trip and fall and drop your pregnancy test. Not because people scream at a concert.
  • Options
    I agree with what one poster said about the "holier than thou" attitude. I agree 100%. It has gotten progressively worse and there are a very large number of snobs around here. The concert etiquette posts are absurd. I can't imagine fans of any other band trying to dictate how other people should act at a show. It's a concert...people are going to yell. If people didn't yell out the Phillies score, we wouldn't have gotten that impromptu Phillies song night 1. One show he played Gone because of shoutouts. The whole place was screaming Hide Your Love Away in Philly. Were those people all wrong? If people didn't shout out in Newark last year we wouldn't have gotten the awesome story about the meaning of Yellow Ledbetter. IT'S A CONCERT IN A PUBLIC PLACE. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO YELL. THERE WILL BE ASSHOLES. If you are that rattled and disturbed by the prospect of your precious show being interrupted by a few annoying screamers then save your $88 and let someone else go.

The reason you feel there are a "large amount of snobs" around here is because the majority would prefer that the yellers not yell. Tough to be a snob when you're in the vast majority who feel shouting and distracting the artist is just plain rude ... agian, it's not just to those in attendance who are distracted, but to the artist as well.

To your comment about people dictating how others should act at shows ... folks aren't saying don't shout your head off at the full PJ gigs so this isn't an across the board mandate for all PJ shows, this is different. It's an intimate acoustic show, Ed's talking (and often, mumbling) ... and when people are shouting, it can be tough to hear what he's saying. Peoeple paid their $88 to hear Ed, not some moron who couldn't bare to go 2 hours wihtout knowing the score of a meaningless baseball game in June.

hey cheer your face off when he ends a song ... no one is saying you need to sit, hands folded all night. People are just hoping that the people that shout, the ones that feel THEY NEED TO BE PART OF THE SHOW ... they hope that crap would end ... because, the majoirty of people are missing things due to the minority of people being self fulfilling (and we're talking what, only 20-30 people a night shouting?).

joejoejoe put it best, it's not snobbery, it's expecting appropriate behavior in an intimate setting.

• Options
    Nats310Nats310 Posts: 38
    First off, LOVE the Jeff Tweedy rant.

Look, I don't care if other people want to get excited about the show. I'M excited about tonight's show, so much that I feel like I'm going out of my skin. Will I shout out random songs? No, Eddie's not a jukebox, and I'm paying him to entertain me as well as he always has, not to perform like a monkey in a fez. Some people see him differently, though, and if they want to demand songs from him, I'm cool with it as long as they don't fuck with the vibe in the room by yelling "JEREMY" a thousand times.

I don't mind the "I love you, Eddie" shouts, either. I love Eddie, I tend to like people who like Eddie, and who knows -- he might need a little positive reinforcement every once in while. Will I shout it while he's concentrating on setting up "Arc"? Probably not, because there's a fragility to intimate, acoustic performances that I don't want to disrupt. However, when he's rocking out on Hard Sun, all bets are off.

I guess I don't want to be the one who interrupts that connection between the performer and his audience. If you haven't felt it -- with PJ or otherwise -- then that's a real tragedy. Live music has saved my life more times than I can count -- and I still get choked up when I'm in a crowd, and everyone's singing, and then I just hold back my voice for a second and listen to that swell of voices, all caught in that same note and earnestly engaging in a way we so rarely do in our "normal" lives. It's one of the hidden benefits to being a Pearl Jam fan, that we know that this community of voices exists and can be evoked in those lovely, tenuous moments of their live performances. I felt that last year when I saw Eddie live, and -- to cite Jeff Tweedy's rant -- I don't want to take myself out of that. I'll go with the flow tonight -- "ride the wave where it takes me," right? -- and expect that even if he doesn't play my favorites on command, I will still enjoy myself.

Self-righteous or not, that's my philosophy on all this.

But if you talk near me, I will mess you up! :evil:

Just kidding!

See you all at the Ryman.
  • Options
    mrs.smileymrs.smiley Posts: 422
    leenec wrote:
    TheRooster wrote:

Philly 2= TERRIBLE- the worst fans that night...who pays all that money and just talkes and yells the whole
    time?!?!?

I have nothing 2 compare to but agree P2 was bad-so much yelling you missed alot! Probably hard to find a good mix of audience energy & respectfulness but just find it annoying to have people behind me talk loudly the entire time even if they are taliking about how awesome EV is! It was a great show but w/all talking/yelling you miss out on all those subtle beautiful moments & storytelling which is why you go to solo show in the 1st place! Too many meatheads! :evil:
    '98-Camden 8/29
    '03-Philly Spectrum 4/28, Camden 7/5, Hershey 7/12
    '06-Camden 5/28
    '08-Camden 6/20
    '09-Closing Down the Philly Spectrum! 10/28, 10/30, & the Epic 10/31
    '09-EV Solo Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA6/12
    '10-MSG1& MSG2, New York City, 5-20 & 5/21
  • Options
    mrs.smileymrs.smiley Posts: 422
    CP13458 wrote:
    I'm going to flip this on its head if you dont mind. I'm curious if anyone thinks that Pearl Jam fans are more "holier than thou" than ever. I have been an avid fan since the beginning and ten club member since 95. Just like most of you I've travelled, seen a bunch of shows, have stories, met the band, etc. I completely udnerstand people want to enjoy the show and everything, but dont you think its ridiculous how PJ fans post about rules for an Eddie show? I mean let's be honest, while I know we all pride ourselves in our taste in music and how we can separate the good stuff from the crap (almost immediately), when did everyone become so damn snobby?

I think Eddie is just as bad with it this year. Before he was polite about it, but now he's just flat out rude about it. In Baltimore he basically said, if you speak you're a drunk asshole. Really Eddie? Remember when you were in your 20s (like many of the 'shouters') and drunk for every public appearance you made?

And also that people should have respect for the place they are in and what the music played there means. Weren't you the one who won a grammy and said it didn't mean anything as part of your acceptance speech?

All I'm saying is that if you are going to control how people are behaving at your show, then you should A) Not open the show up to the public (non 10 club) who might know you as a rebellious-type rocker who plays rock music -- contrary to popular belief most of these people aren't there for an opera, and B) Not make people pay hard earned money to come see YOU.

In closing, let me say this I thoroughly enjoyed the shows I attended. To me however, it did not seem like Eddie enjoyed much of them at all (which was clearly visible) and I thought the "Pearl Jam Fans" shushing people was just as annoying as the yellers. Let us not forget about the correlation between rock and roll/punk/alternative and non-conformity. Because after awhile it seemed as if dont get Eddie mad or he'll cut the show short or not play something rare, etc., etc.

Next time just charge $1000 a ticket and price out all the yellers for people who will be quiet the whole time. Now that's rock and roll!! </end vent>

Wow! You do make very good points!?
    '98-Camden 8/29
    '03-Philly Spectrum 4/28, Camden 7/5, Hershey 7/12
    '06-Camden 5/28
    '08-Camden 6/20
    '09-Closing Down the Philly Spectrum! 10/28, 10/30, & the Epic 10/31
    '09-EV Solo Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA6/12
    '10-MSG1& MSG2, New York City, 5-20 & 5/21
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,873
    there is a difference between enjoying a show/singing along etc and yelling shit out when performers are talking
    just some advice when you are singing louder than the person with the mic turn it down a notch for all our sakes

after Milwaukee and Chicago who I think represented overall as ass holes mostly because a group of 20 or so could not shut up or had to be that ass who yells out something in a quiet moment. When you are outside and the sir dissipates your voice it is one thing, when you are in a small venue and the singer asks you to be quiet that is just rude and immature.

That Tweedy speech was exactly how I felt for both the Ed solo shows I attended

it is pretty much a no win situation, people bitch when everyone is quiet saying they are a bunch of statues, and when people get loud they are too loud. I prefer the version where you sing when you are supposed to and shut the hell up when you are not.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,219
    CP13458 wrote:
    I'm going to flip this on its head if you dont mind. I'm curious if anyone thinks that Pearl Jam fans are more "holier than thou" than ever. .... ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC

Really? You want to hold Eddie accountable for stuff he did when he was 26 when he's now 40-some? Do you think he's that same person anymore? What if I could tap into your past, would you want to be held accountable and be called a hypocrite for doing or requesting the opposite of things you did during a different stage of life, when you were young and stupid?

No, we are not "holier than thou". SOME OF US JUST KNOW MANNERS. DAMN.

Do you yell at the movies? NO because thats stupid and rude. Thats a known way to act in society. Eddie Vedder shows, people are confused. On one hand, they are in a beautiful intimate setting listening to a mellow one man show. On the other hand, they think they're still seeing Pearl Jam so they should get s-faced and yell crap. We are simply reminding them that this is not Pearl Jam, it is a mellow show, so SHUT UP.

CP13458 - I am not personally attacking you; it's just frustrating the amount of people who agree with you, so I'm kind of voicing my opionion at them all.

Also, I don't care that you all paid money too, it doesn't give you the right to yell. Again, the next time you see a movie, I'm going to get s-faced and yell shit. See if you think I have the right to anymore since I paid money to see the movie.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22