Options

*** Bridge School Benefit 2 Fanviews Here 10/24/10 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,950
edited January 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
October 24, 2010, Mountain View, CA, Bridge School Benefit

Set List: Daughter, Down, Driftin’, Other Side (1st time played live), The End (w/ strings), Walk With Me w/Neil Young (Neil Young), Lukin (w/strings), Just Breathe (w/strings), Black (w/strings), Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town (w/strings)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.
Thank you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    :D
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,276
    Other side!!!!
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    Other side!!!!
    :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    deskilladeskilla Posts: 279
    Daughter, Down, Drifting, Otherside, The End, Walk With Me(with uncle Neil), Lukin, Just Breathe, Black, Small Town
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Other Side.

:shock:

Enough said. :)
  • Options
    bekbek Posts: 9
    edited October 2010
    To start the night, the band literally launched into Daughter. It was such an unexpected introduction, and I believe left even the most seasoned fan, "up" to what may lay ahead.

The band was definitely "on" and the highlight, for me, was "Other Side". The studio version of "Other Side" blatantly hits you in the chest, in a way that you feel grateful for having to gasp for air. The version tonight was no doubt more easily accepting, but the punch, though "poppy" was there, as only Pearl Jam can. Much like the pop of Undone. You love it, and you fucking should love it.

Black with strings was phenomenal and eloquently placed within the night's setlist.

On a side note that shouldn't at all be an aside, Modest Mouse was fantastic. The multitude of instrumental choreography that was on a stage at one time was nearly too much to witness at once. That band has found a new fan in me, and I'm sure other's, tonight.

Also, Neil Young starting the show, playing to the kids, is a visual and auditory tattoo that all who saw and heard can pleasingly "rub" for the rest of their lives. Great.
    Post edited by bek on
    Pearl Jam * 10/09/09 * 5/13/10 * 11/19/2013 *
    Ed Vedder * 7/5/11 * 7/14/11 *
    Bridge School * 10/24/10 *
  • Options
    wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    Holy Crap and good morning everybody ;)
    I just got out off the shower... and..wow: Other Side on the setlist!! Hope you lucky guys had a great show!! :D
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Other FUCKING Side.

8-):mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    norm wrote:
    Other FUCKING Side.

Yes, I like the word addition! :D

It sounded SO GODDAMN GOOD!!!!!!!

• Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    16th time seeing Pearl Jam, and it was by far the best I have ever heard Eddie. He was so on. And what a set. Otherside was such a great surprise. Such a spectacular night.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    I thought last night was fantastic. Tonight was even better. Unbelievable. And to stay until the end and see Jeff and Mike and EDDIE on stage with Neil et al for Rockin In The Free World..... :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Damn Santa Cruz last night and Otherside tonight. Some good stuff. Wish I was there
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Damn Santa Cruz last night and Otherside tonight. Some good stuff. Wish I was there

x2
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,097
    norm wrote:
    Other FUCKING Side.

OMG :o:D , right there's the reason I love this band!
    I hope there'll be bootlegs for this - do they usually do boots for Bridge?
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Was Lukin regular or slow?
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    rafie wrote:
    Was Lukin regular or slow?
    Regular :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xXFQBKbwOQ
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    i can't WAIT to hear other side. so good. so good. lucky punks.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    other side sounds great.

props to the uploader,inmytree...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlIJS0eOCAg
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    doompony wrote:
    i can't WAIT to hear other side. so good. so good. lucky punks.

doompony...we joined at exactly the same time...How weird is that?
  • Options
    bgivens33bgivens33 Posts: 290
    First time Bridge School and it was fantastic.

The guys obviously enjoy doing this event and are constantly looking back at the kids.

I've always loved Nothingman, but Black stole the show the first night. It was the song that made me really appreciate Pearl Jam and this version was amazing. The strings added something to it that I didn't know were missing. Simply incredible.

The second night it was nice to see Down, it translates perfectly to the acoustic environment.

For Drifting, Ed said he wrote the song several years ago driving down Neil's driveway on the back of an airplane ticket that was in his pocket after a party. He went on to say that's it's not like he wrote the song extremely fast, but Neil just has a very long driveway.

I don't really care so much about hearing rarities for the sake of it being a rarity, but Other Side has always been one of my favorites off of Lost Dogs. It was probably that song that took me from a casual Yield/Ten/Vitalogy fan to a new level of appreciation. I've always been baffled why they've never played it live... it wasn't perfect, but it was damn good for a first time performance. It seemed slightly more upbeat(same as Black) and lost a bit of that haunting, gut check, the studio version gives, but great none the less.

I'm also of the opinion that's Ed's voice seems to be getting better... the Hartford version of Nothingman(absolutely amazing, go find the youtube video if you haven't seen it) planted that seed and it was just confirmed tonight.

One last thought, after Pearl Jam left the stage, Eddie Vedder sprinted back on, grabbed his tambourine and went and gave it to one of the bridge school kids. That's something you won't see in the paper or in any review, and I'm sure he wasn't doing it for that reason. I just thought it was a great way to end their set.

I also had the distinct pleasure of relaying the set tonight... something I've benefited from in the past, so it was nice to pay the favor back. I did, however, take joy in knowing the frenzy I would cause when I sent the Other Side text.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    other side sounds great.

props to the uploader,inmytree...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlIJS0eOCAg

Thanks for that. :)
  • Options
    Happy to hear that Eddie sounds great, I know that I was trying to hear more of his voice on the clips.
    Found Driftin' with driveway story:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4OaT4s9NJ4
    Elderly Woman clip with Eddie coming back for the tambourine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPAApL1-SE0
  • Options
    Other Side!!!

Hail, Hail the lucky ones that got to go to Bridge.
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    Holy crap!!! Other Side!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so jealous, I cant stand it. I've been dying to see Other Side. :D:D:D
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,393
    thanks for relaying, bgivens33!! and thanks to Zack for running the thread. glad you had fun!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    rafie wrote:Was Lukin regular or slow?

Regular :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xXFQBKbwOQ

A guy in front of me turned around after Lukin and asked "so is that a Pearl Jam song?" LOL Hubby and I couldn't stop laughing. :lol:
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,396
    The whole experience of finally witnessing this great cause will stay with me forever!! The kids and their courageous parents are the real stars of the shows. The artists all seemed as touched as we were, truly beautiful to see. It was nice to see the Giant fans clinch as Billy Idol was rocking out the 1st night, it seemed fitting. The venue was really nice, great food and drink options. Garlic fries kick ass :) I loved the fact that people still came out strong for the event dispite the crappy weather. Though a bunch of people took nasty spills on the mud. Peggy and Uncle Neil Young really make you feel like family for supporting the children.

As for Pearl Jam, Ed's voice was fantastic. And the guys were having fun doing what they do. The sets were perfect. Santa Cruz and OTHERSIDE were way up on my list of what would blow my
    Mind if they were to be
    Played. Walk with me and the Patti Smith cover were amazing.....Black x2, betterman,nothingnan it was all great. Loved Ed giving props to the longevity of the other acts, and saying they had barely started even 20 years in their careers. I can't wait for
    More shows and more new music in the future.

Cheers to PJ, here's to another 20 years!!
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    This band works acoustic so well ... it just works in a big way, I love it. I was gonna come on here and write up that saturday's set was a bit better, while sunday's overall show was better -- but looking back at the setlist now, I dunno. Phenomenal both nights.

What I really noticed is that yes, Eddie really had good control of his voice ... nice to see him well rested and ready to belt these tunes out. Sipping from a steamy mug each night. Nothingman really stood out on Saturday as the full range and register in play. He's always saying tours take it out of him (I think he lies and just wants us to sing along), but it was pretty clear he had full command this weekend. Sunday's Black was on of those really, really, really long held notes at the end, about 4 measures longer than you'd think is humanly possible.

Other side -- oh my! Chills! And I seem to recall the quartet was there for Lukin? They loaded the quartet on stage earlier on Sunday, think they accompanied a few more songs -- but yeah, hearing the violin riffs (hehehe) during Black was awesome! Time to bring in a full orchestra! And yet, as fun as it was, it didn't have as haunting a quality as the 2006 show ... just something about that 2006 Bridge Black.

Walk With Me was the "rocker" more or less both nights, heavy song, awesome. But Neil's mic wasn't working as well on Sunday at the end. Saturday he had a bunch of delay on his voice as he closed out the song, Sunday he leaned into Eddie's mic. Fun vibe on that one!

New stuff still very much in play and working so well with the catalog, equal amount of crowd favs each night (Last Kiss, Betterman vs Daughter, Small Town). Nice rare song dropped Sunday, but great to hear Santa Cruz being worked in, oh hey! Is that the first full band performance of Santa Cruz??? Seem to think they had played it database sez not -- seen it twice at EV solo. I might have seen every live performance of that song so far! :P

Man, after Neko Case's set, I found myself hoping she'd come out and do Golden State with Ed! So the show itself, OH MY GOD, Sunday SOOOOO much better. T-Bone put together a fantastic backing band and then Elvis Costello did 3 songs, Neko Case, Jeff Bridges (meh), forgetting, but a bit of Brother Where Art Though goodness and then Leon and Elton -- THAT worked so well, nice long set, everyone coming out doing 3-4 songs, no gear break-down/setup in between, just bam bam bam, awesome music just kicking my ass! Elvis just awesome and Leon and Elton fantastic, but Neko really surprised .. talk about haunting!

So Elvis did a 1921 'rocker' Slow Drag with Josephine each night, and solo acoustic was nice the first night, but add the band and it was just a different song, just a fun, fun romp!

And yeah, as mentioned, Modest Mouse's arrangements were just crazy fun! Buffalo was just a powerhouse, got to enjoy them so much more on Sunday, skies had cleared early and just beautiful weather. Man what fun!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 535
    Anyone know where to find a good sounding version of Black? Been trying to find one on youtube, but I can't hear the strings and the new arrangement just sounds confusing..
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 535
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0YO5N0F-M

Jeff with a ukulele? Sweet!
    Your light made us stars