Options

When Is PJ's 20th?

Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Why has it been said that Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary is in 2011?

1. The band formed in 1990.
2. They celebrated their 10th anniversary in 2000. (Las Vegas show)
3. Therefore their 20th anniversary would be 2010.

No?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    First album 1991.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    First album 1991.

okay but they formed in 1990.

the 10th anniversary show was 10-22-2000 in Vegas.

the 20th anniversary therefore is/will be 10-22-2010...not 2011.
  • Options
    pearl jam's 20th anniversary is in 2010.
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Ok are you arguing with yourself?
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Ok are you arguing with yourself?

No, I'm stating a fact that PJs 20th anniversary is in 2010.
  • Options
    be held in Seattle.. In the Off Ramp Cafe :D
    2003: 17/07, 18/07, 19/07 MEX.
    2005: 07/12, 09/12, 10/12 MTY, MEX.
    2008: 11/06, 12/06, WEST PALM BEACH, TAMPA.
    2011: 20/11. 24/11, SAN JÓSE CR, MEX.
    2013: 29/11, 30/11, 06/12, PORTLAND, SPOKANE, SEATTLE
  • Options

yep. in 2010. ;)
  • Options

its called el corazon now.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Let's settle this -

It'll start in 2010

And it will last a whole year long

:D

There, pleased?
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    The only real reference to 20th anniversary being in 2011 is from the rerelease press release, isn't it? Obviously, they're referencing 20 years since the first released album. It's the same as HOF eligibility, 25 years after release of first album.

I'm sure they'll celebrate their first concert too, but then they were Mookie Blaylock then, weren't they? So maybe their first show as PJ, 17/05/1991?

That being said, I've always felt 22/10/1990 is the date, but shouldn't it really be the first day Ed came up to meet the guys and jam?
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    The only real reference to 20th anniversary being in 2011 is from the rerelease press release, isn't it? Obviously, they're referencing 20 years since the first released album. It's the same as HOF eligibility, 25 years after release of first album.

I'm sure they'll celebrate their first concert too, but then they were Mookie Blaylock then, weren't they? So maybe their first show as PJ, 17/05/1991?

That being said, I've always felt 22/10/1990 is the date, but shouldn't it really be the first day Ed came up to meet the guys and jam?

You make some excellent points. However, it can't be ignored that the band played a 10th Anniversary show on 10/22/2000 in Las Vegas.

Clearly and logically, their 20th anniversary would therefore be 10/22/2010.
  • Options
    First album 1991.

the 10th anniversary show was 10-22-2000 in Vegas.

the 20th anniversary therefore is/will be 10-22-2010...not 2011.
    That's My Birthday! :D
    "Don't turn away from possible futures unless you're certain you have nothing to learn from them."
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    bazzer wrote:

You make some excellent points. However, it can't be ignored that the band played a 10th Anniversary show on 10/22/2000 in Las Vegas.

Clearly and logically, their 20th anniversary would therefore be 10/22/2010.

10th

anniversary

SHOW

get it? ;)

they were celebrating the 10th anniversary of their first SHOW....not the day they first became a band, not the first time they jammed....not the first time they all played scrabbble together or when their first album was released....but the 10th anniversary of their first show together......which yes, is 10.22.1990.

if they want to think of 2011 as their 20th anniversary - focus on their first album release...it's their perogative. they said they are celebrating by leading up to that date with the rereleases, etc. basically it's all semantics. so, however, they want to focus on their anniversary.....more power to em!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    I'm guessing the movie project that Cameron Crowe is working on with them comes out on Friday October 22, 2010 in honor of the 10th anniversary.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    I'm guessing the movie project that Cameron Crowe is working on with them comes out on Friday October 22, 2010 in honor of the 10th anniversary.

doncha mean 20th? ;)

here's another way to look at it:

i was married on one date
    engaged an earlier date
    first kiss on another date
    first date on the same date as first kiss
    :mrgreen:
    and onwards....
    we have LOTs of different 'anniversaries'...depending what you want to focus on!

so pearl jam can have lots of different anniversaries, as mentioned, too! all what they want to focus on...and i bet they focus on em all....culminating with the 2011 date that marks the 20th anniversary of their first album release.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

so pearl jam can have lots of different anniversaries, as mentioned, too! all what they want to focus on...and i bet they focus on em all....culminating with the 2011 date that marks the 20th anniversary of their first album release.

fair enough, guy.

their 20th anniversary as a BAND is still in 2010. they formed in 1990.
  • Options

fair enough, guy.

and goodie for you for knowing that.....*passes out gold star*.......now what do you expect to win? :P

seriously, i love these rhetorical questions.....cause really, you started this thread KNOWing what answer is *right* in your mind...so really not looking for discussion of it, just simply to prove you're right.

well then, how silly of me and my husband for 'celebrating' our anniversary according to when we got married...b/c clearly it should be when we first became a couple. :roll: as i said.....it's all what YOU choose to focus on. i am sure pearl jam looks at 1990 and onwards, as a whole HOST of anniversaries.....and what they may personally deem 'their anniversary'...we may never be privvy to. as i said, that first day they all jammed together, perhaps for them is it. (and yes i know....still 1990 ;)) point is, does it really matter what, or how long they want to celebrate? isn't it MORE important to focus on WHAT they are celebrating....still being together after 20 fucking years rocking our faces off......then on the EXACT *when*.....you want to start the countdown?

just sayin'.......guy......... :P
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    Hey dream I didn't know you were a guy. When did this happen.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    10/22/10 is pretty close to 2011.... couple months.... they're probably just rounding up to when Ten was released.
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620

fair enough, guy.

and goodie for you for knowing that.....*passes out gold star*.......now what do you expect to win? :P

seriously, i love these rhetorical questions.....cause really, you started this thread KNOWing what answer is *right* in your mind...so really not looking for discussion of it, just simply to prove you're right.

well then, how silly of me and my husband for 'celebrating' our anniversary according to when we got married...b/c clearly it should be when we first became a couple. :roll: as i said.....it's all what YOU choose to focus on. i am sure pearl jam looks at 1990 and onwards, as a whole HOST of anniversaries.....and what they may personally deem 'their anniversary'...we may never be privvy to. as i said, that first day they all jammed together, perhaps for them is it. (and yes i know....still 1990 ;)) point is, does it really matter what, or how long they want to celebrate? isn't it MORE important to focus on WHAT they are celebrating....still being together after 20 fucking years rocking our faces off......then on the EXACT *when*.....you want to start the countdown?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    ya know...my apologies...i do try not to be too much of a smartass here...too often. ;) i've said elsewhere....it's now april 16th......i have tons of freetime at least for a few days now, and definitely will have large pockets of time at least thru july........so i basically have all the time in the world to shoot the shit and be a wiseass here today especially. :D today my workday has consisted of reading and posting on this board. period. oh, and i did take a break and read my book over my lunch. i will be here until 5:45.....and probably follow roughly the same schedule tomorrow. :mrgreen: so yes, mea culpa for what that kinda time does to my posting habits and content...... :lol:

and yes....seriously....i always thought 'decides2dream' was a pretty damn 'girly' username AND at the moment i have fucking PINK TULIPs in my avatar.......but i will take 'guy' in the same spirit as 'dude' is apparently used......open for all genders!

oh and yes.....PEARL JAM has announced that their anniversary is being celebrated in 2011.
    :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

good enough for me........
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
    edited April 2009
    ya know...my apologies...i do try not to be too much of a smartass here...too often. ;) i've said elsewhere....it's now april 16th......i have tons of freetime at least for a few days now, and definitely will have large pockets of time at least thru july........so i basically have all the time in the world to shoot the shit and be a wiseass here today especially. :D today my workday has consisted of reading and posting on this board. period. oh, and i did take a break and read my book over my lunch. i will be here until 5:45.....and probably follow roughly the same schedule tomorrow. :mrgreen: so yes, mea culpa for what that kinda time does to my posting habits and content...... :lol:

and yes....seriously....i always thought 'decides2dream' was a pretty damn 'girly' username AND at the moment i have fucking PINK TULIPs in my avatar.......but i will take 'guy' in the same spirit as 'dude' is apparently used......open for all genders!

oh and yes.....PEARL JAM has announced that their anniversary is being celebrated in 2011.
    :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

good enough for me........

wow that's really sad. you should try going outside once in a while.

i know pearl jam announced the anniversary as being in 2011...it was on the news tidbit for the ten rerelease. obviously....
    that's why i posted this in the first place.
    Post edited by Music For Rhinos on
  • Options

what do i expect to win? well gee...you already gave me a gold star so that's good enough i guess.

i wasn't trying to "prove" anything. i was stating a fact.

haha, you're clearly worked up about this, otherwise you wouldn't have spent time posting on this particular thread.

funny stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 2009

what do i expect to win? well gee...you already gave me a gold star so that's good enough i guess.

i wasn't trying to "prove" anything. i was stating a fact.

haha, you're clearly worked up about this, otherwise you wouldn't have spent time posting on this particular thread.

funny stuff.

hahahahahahahahaha...i always love the redirection of focus. worked up?! hahahahahahah. nothing could be further from the truth! :lol::lol::lol: i am completely amused...and as i mentioned i have had nothing but TIME today, and will continue, until 5:30 pm...thus i am biding my time. i am posting on just about every thread discussion today, so don't feel any undo attention has been given to this one.

and no, you weren't just stating a fact....but whatever..............i've simply been amusing myself here today......

enjoy your gold star tho - they ARE special!

btw -

No?

um, no...not necessarily, as has been discussed by this thread....and thus, not 'fact'....that is all. if pearl jam wants to celebrate their first album release as the 'marker' of their 20th anniversary....it is their right to do so. as someone else pointed out, was that first show even under the name pearl jam, or mookie blaylock...i don't rmemeber. point is, a few have explained how it's possible to rightly celebrate their anniversary in 2011.....you're the only one who is saying their opinion is a fact. that's all. but sure....tell me how worked up about it i am..... :lol: i'm just having FUN! it is a gorgeous spring day....i am in my office.......and i am entertaining myself with this and many other discussions....and so it goes.........! 8-)
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

hahahahahahahahaha...i always love the redirection of focus. worked up?! hahahahahahah. nothing could be further from the truth! :lol::lol::lol: i am completely amused...and as i mentioned i have had nothing but TIME today, and will continue, until 5:30 pm...thus i am biding my time. i am posting on just about every thread discussion today, so don't feel any undo attention has been given to this one.

and no, you weren't just stating a fact....but whatever..............i've simply been amusing myself here today......

what is your problem?

i WAS stating a fact...pearl jam formed in 1990 = fact. the 20th anniversary of being a band being 2010 = fact.
  • Options

what is your problem?

i WAS stating a fact...pearl jam formed in 1990 = fact. the 20th anniversary of being a band being 2010 = fact.

what is YOUR problem? :? :?:
    seriously?

YOU started a thread asking a question...you stated your point...others, including myself have stated counterpoints, varying perspectives....you don't want to accept it, cool.....i am merely participating in the discussion. why start a thread if you don't want a discussion?

and i say again - i eidited it in above =but you responded probably before ...

No?

um, no...not necessarily, as has been discussed by this thread....and thus, not 'fact'....that is all. if pearl jam wants to celebrate their first album release as the 'marker' of their 20th anniversary....it is their right to do so. as someone else pointed out, was that first show even under the name pearl jam, or mookie blaylock...i don't rmemeber. point is, a few have explained how it's possible to rightly celebrate their anniversary in 2011.....you're the only one who is saying their opinion is a fact. that's all. but sure....tell me how worked up about it i am..... i'm just having FUN! it is a gorgeous spring day....i am in my office.......and i am entertaining myself with this and many other discussions....and so it goes.........!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    btw

what is your problem?

WHO said they were celebrating the annniversary of them being a BAND? i read that no where. i've read they are celebrating their 20th anniversary, and as i and others have pointed out, the PARTICULAR 20th anniversary they could be celebrating does not necessarily have to be when they formed as a band, or the date of their first show, their first single, whateveeeerrrrrr. THEY CHOSE to make it about when they released their first album. just b/c in the past they chose to celebrate the 10th anniversary of their first show, DOESN'T mean that today or tomorrow they can't choose to celebrate the anniversary of something else....like say, their first album release.

so yea....while your *fact* about when they became a band is true, no one was arguing THAT.......that also isn't the whole story. disagree, cool...but again....doesn't make it right, either.......:P hahahahaha. and yes, it's not personal....so no problem there........just trying to get you to see it's not 'just about when they became a band, or their first show...or whatever else. you said 'fair enough guy' to it earlier. thought that meant you understood.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    btw

what is your problem?

WHO said they were celebrating the annniversary of them being a BAND? i read that no where. i've read they are celebrating their 20th anniversary, and as i and others have pointed out, the PARTICULAR 20th anniversary they could be celebrating does not necessarily have to be when they formed as a band, or the date of their first show, their first single, whateveeeerrrrrr. THEY CHOSE to make it about when they released their first album. just b/c in the past they chose to celebrate the 10th anniversary of their first show, DOESN'T mean that today or tomorrow they can't choose to celebrate the anniversary of something else....like say, their first album release.

so yea....while your *fact* about when they became a band is true, no one was arguing THAT.......that also isn't the whole story. disagree, cool...but again....doesn't make it right, either.......:P hahahahaha. and yes, it's not personal....so no problem there........just trying to get you to see it's not 'just about when they became a band, or their first show...or whatever else. you said 'fair enough guy' to it earlier. thought that meant you understood.

slow down. i'm not an idiot, okay? i GET it. yes, ten came out in 91. yes 20 years would be 2011. yes, they are celebrating in 2011. i'm just saying, AS A BAND, the 20th would be 2010.

yes, i know it all depends on how you look at it. i'm not trying to prove myself right and everyone wrong. we got off on the wrong foot here. you took what i was saying wrong and ran with it and now here we are.

everything is okay.
  • Options
    btw

what is your problem?

slow down. i'm not an idiot, okay? i GET it. yes, ten came out in 91. yes 20 years would be 2011. yes, they are celebrating in 2011. i'm just saying, AS A BAND, the 20th would be 2010.

yes, i know it all depends on how you look at it. i'm not trying to prove myself right and everyone wrong. we got off on the wrong foot here. you took what i was saying wrong and ran with it and now here we are.

everything is okay.

hahaha...i never suggested you were an idiot! i don't think i took what you said wrong...i think it's more how you presented it. ;) i got your facts, you get that there's more 'facts' to it than that....it's all cool. you keep saying i am worked up, everything is ok.....i know it's ok. i am posting with a big smile on my face. i know in type it's difficult to get 'tone'.....but i've said often enough i am having FUN, all is good. but yes, from your first post onwards...sure did appear as you were trying to prove your point as right....and if not, cool.....my inference. all is well and has been all along......guy! :mrgreen:

it's a beautiful spring day and i am happy...and my workday is almost done!
    this has been a welcome distraction...it's all good!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options

hahaha...i never suggested you were an idiot! i don't think i took what you said wrong...i think it's more how you presented it. ;) i got your facts, you get that there's more 'facts' to it than that....it's all cool. you keep saying i am worked up, everything is ok.....i know it's ok. i am posting with a big smile on my face. i know in type it's difficult to get 'tone'.....but i've said often enough i am having FUN, all is good. but yes, from your first post onwards...sure did appear as you were trying to prove your point as right....and if not, cool.....my inference. all is well and has been all along......guy! :mrgreen:

it's a beautiful spring day and i am happy...and my workday is almost done!
    this has been a welcome distraction...it's all good!

yes, i understand.

there was nothing i said originally that is not fact or that is incorrect.

edit:

the 20th anniversary as a BAND = 2010
    the 20th anniversary of the release of their debut album = 2011