Options

Legacy Edition too compressed?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,088
edited April 2009 in The Porch
It feels alot louder then the original realese so I guess it's compressed. But has anyone with a decent set-up noticed any problems with it being too compressed. (like with avocado or death magnetic)
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    QT31085QT31085 Posts: 33
    yes. it's VERY compressed. but i'm ok with that. you can actually hear all the guitar parts. there are tons of little fills in black/alive that i've never heard before. plus they have to compress it to make it sound better on the shitty speakers 99.9% of people listen to their music on (shitty computer speakers and ipod ear buds).
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    is this heavy vinyl?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    the 180 vinyl won't make a difference. you'll just hear a higher quality compressed mix. :geek:
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Frustrating, this is.

I understand why CDs are made this way these days. I fucking hate it, but I understand.

However, I'm disappointed the band didn't intervene. Or, in the very least considering there are 4 purchasing options, offer one with "full dynamic range". Tom Petty's band Mudcrutch did that last year, releasing an "audiophile" CD packed inside vinyl copies of the album.

The "loudness war" impacts a good chunk of the fanbase who actually appreciate dynamics in their recordings. I was hoping that this rerelease wouldn't have significant compression. But this appears to be the case. And it sucks.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I do not have it yet, but if this is the case I will be VERY upset. This didn't even enter my mindset as a possibility.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    I do not have it yet, but if this is the case I will be VERY upset. This didn't even enter my mindset as a possibility.

Well don't get your hopes up. I played it and it sounded WAY too loud in my opinion. I have Death Magnetic in my stereo as well and I really didn't have to change the volume level going from one to the other...in fact I only wanted to turn it down. See this <insert any fucking band these days>?! You want me to play your music loud but when you brickwall the fuck out of it I only want to turn it down so my headache goes away. It is kind of sad when the most dynamic sounding song is the Goat song and that one was recorded on a Walk man if I read things correctly.

I fucking hate the state of music these days.
    AndySlash wrote:
    However, I'm disappointed the band didn't intervene. Or, in the very least considering there are 4 purchasing options, offer one with "full dynamic range". Tom Petty's band Mudcrutch did that last year, releasing an "audiophile" CD packed inside vinyl copies of the album.

I would've paid out the nose to just be able to have this option. Sad that that's the mentality one needs to take these days. 15 years ago I could pay normal price for high quality sound.

Edit: I am actually surprised that several more people than I expected noticed this already.

Edit 2: After listening I also ran it through some music editing software and my fears were confirmed...overal average RMS for most songs is around -10 going all the way to -9 in the loud parts of some songs.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I hate this shit, honestly... I do... Producers need to create a common alignment level and that shit needs to be like enforced hardcore by the whole recording industry.

For those who haven't been to this site, it's great: http://www.turnmeup.org/
  • Options
    I hate this shit, honestly... I do... Producers need to create a common alignment level and that shit needs to be like enforced hardcore by the whole recording industry.

Yeah, that site is pretty killer. Have you ever been able to actually find a record with the turn me up sticker on it? I never have...
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425

Yeah, that site is pretty killer. Have you ever been able to actually find a record with the turn me up sticker on it? I never have...

Yes, Elbow's: The Seldom Seen Kid

It's a great album and I own it on vinyl and it sounds great. Both the CD and vinyl have this "Turmeup" notfication.
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    jmkjmk Posts: 425
    It's such a shame Pearl Jam/Brendan O'Brien compressed the new versions too much. Hopefully the new mix and remaster of the vinyl are better than the CD. Has someone already compared the the versions on CD vs. vinyl?

Usually the vinyl has far better dynamics. This was clearly the case with R.E.M.'s Accelerate. However, not with Metallica's Death Magnetic, apparently because of the way it was recorded and mixed, nothing could be done in the remastering process, according to the guy Jensen who mastered that album. I think I remember some discussion about this.

Pearl Jam/Brendan O'Brien could have done a good job and letting us hear all the guitar parts that we didn't hear before - that someone talked about - without compressing it too much. Is this problem now more a result of how he mixed the new versions or how he remastered them?

He did a separate job with the vinyls, right? In the information about the deluxe set it stated that the vinyls were remastered for vinyl, if I remember correctly.
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,088
    Stil sucks if they compressed it so that many fans will enjoy the first master more than the remaster :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jmk wrote:
    It's such a shame Pearl Jam/Brendan O'Brien compressed the new versions too much. Hopefully the new mix and remaster of the vinyl are better than the CD. Has someone already compared the the versions on CD vs. vinyl?

Usually the vinyl has far better dynamics. This was clearly the case with R.E.M.'s Accelerate. However, not with Metallica's Death Magnetic, apparently because of the way it was recorded and mixed, nothing could be done in the remastering process, according to the guy Jensen who mastered that album. I think I remember some discussion about this.

Pearl Jam/Brendan O'Brien could have done a good job and letting us hear all the guitar parts that we didn't hear before - that someone talked about - without compressing it too much. Is this problem now more a result of how he mixed the new versions or how he remastered them?

He did a separate job with the vinyls, right? In the information about the deluxe set it stated that the vinyls were remastered for vinyl, if I remember correctly.

Bob Ludwig did the mastering for both the CD and Vinyl versions. Brendan O'Brien just did the mixing. I'm pretty sure that's what the packaging said anyway.
    Stil sucks if they compressed it so that many fans will enjoy the first master more than the remaster.

Unfortunately, that's the way it seems it's going to be for me.

Also, one of the vinyl records I received seems to have a tiny gash on one side. Does anyone know if this mark will affect the output? I don't yet have a record player to test it out on.
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    I heard they are offering a less-compressed version exclusively at stores. You can buy it right now... in fact, it's been on sale for about 18 years... it's called the orginal version of 10. I've heard it's selling quite well... like 12 million copies or so.
  • Options
    The Remix ersion of Ten does indeed not sound very good.
    It´s as if they wanted it to sound less commercial and whole as it did before.
    it´s a demontage of a classic. Pretty sure all of that happened with the band´s knowledge, so we all have to assume, that this is the way they want it to sound like.
    For my taste the whole cymbal section especially the HiHat is far too loud.
    The Voice is partly vanishing behind guitars and Cymbals.
    They used a lot less effects then on the original an partly some timing mistakes become audible....
    All in all the sum-compression is too strong, and the cd partly seems distorted overall.
    'It´s a stupid fashion that Metallica started with St.Anger. As if a good Sound would be equivalent to losing credibility. Both bands have their Trauma with their most successful records. Ten and the Black Album.
    Both of the bands try hard not to be commercial or somehow suspicious of trying to make a good Radio Single.
    Let the Fun back in!
  • Options
    DD164485DD164485 Posts: 149
    The Remix ersion of Ten does indeed not sound very good.
    It´s as if they wanted it to sound less commercial and whole as it did before.
    it´s a demontage of a classic. Pretty sure all of that happened with the band´s knowledge, so we all have to assume, that this is the way they want it to sound like.
    For my taste the whole cymbal section especially the HiHat is far too loud.
    The Voice is partly vanishing behind guitars and Cymbals.
    They used a lot less effects then on the original an partly some timing mistakes become audible....
    All in all the sum-compression is too strong, and the cd partly seems distorted overall.
    'It´s a stupid fashion that Metallica started with St.Anger. As if a good Sound would be equivalent to losing credibility. Both bands have their Trauma with their most successful records. Ten and the Black Album.
    Both of the bands try hard not to be commercial or somehow suspicious of trying to make a good Radio Single.
    Let the Fun back in!

Wow.

Pretty Amazing how 2 people can listen to the same album and come away with a completly different point of view.

Perhaps it's because I'm listening to the vinyl version of the Redux (which is awesome) and not the CD. The vinyl has definately been pressed to audiophile quality (not from a digital transfer...thank god!!).

Try giving the vinyl a spin (if you haven't already) and you may have a different perspective on the sound.

Not only is this pressed on High Quality 180 gram but the seperation of instruments is perfect. Who would have thought TEN could be rescused this way. Jeff Ament has got to be one happy man today, because the bottom end is so much more pronounced than on the original mix. I seriously don't think I'm going to listen to TEN any other way for a very long time.

Sorry to hear that there are a few on this board that are disapointed with the sound. I've never been a fan of CDs anyways and truthfully have only listened to the CD copy in this set once through just to hear "2000 Mile Blues" ( which has some bad ass guitar work by Mike) so maybe I haven't noticed the compression on the CD's.

It's important to note that converting the tracks digitally to CD as compared to pressing the mix to vinyl are very different. I know for a fact that by listening to this mix that the vinyls do not come from a digital transfer and are pressed to vinyl the way they should be (analog transfer??). Perhaps if you try out the vinyl (if you have a record player) you will notice a considerable difference in sound.

It's understandable that the CD will expose the compression alot more the vinyl. That's what has always made CDs inferior to vinyl as far as warmness of sound is concerned.

I can definatley attest that the vinyl sounds incredible and is certainly sounds top qaulity to my ears.

Alot of care went into this package; especially the vinyl.

I couldn't be happier with how this set sounds.

Cheers
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    I actually heard wrong notes in the second chorus of RELEASE......very disappointed with this!!
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:
    I heard they are offering a less-compressed version exclusively at stores. You can buy it right now... in fact, it's been on sale for about 18 years... it's called the orginal version of 10. I've heard it's selling quite well... like 12 million copies or so.

TERRIFIC....but OH WAIT...that version doesn't include Brother or Just a Girl. :roll: :roll:
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:

TERRIFIC....but OH WAIT...that version doesn't include Brother or Just a Girl. :roll: :roll:

my post was a not-so-subtle remark to those in this thread complaining that the re-master sounds too... re-mastered.
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:
    BH71937 wrote:

my post was a not-so-subtle remark to those in this thread complaining that the re-master sounds too... re-mastered.

But I thought I was one of those people?? Well, I wasn't complaining that it sounded too remastered, I guess. I was just complaining that the remastering was fucked which does sound too...re-mastered by today's supposedly acceptable mastering standards.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    BH71937 wrote:
    BH71937 wrote:

Yeah. Sounds to me like they remastered it, by the book. The reason for remaster is to bring the music up to date with the times. Now it has the same mastering as newer music.

For the record, Metallica didn't start the whole "compress the shit out of everything" trend.

Great news about the vinyl being pressed correctly? Do the vinyls have the extra songs?

Also, I assume Drop In the Park was recorded digitally, unlike PJ's albums. How is the sound on it?
  • Options
    i wasn't trying to rip anyone in this thread in particiuliar.... i haven't even heard it and i'm sure that it'll sound "over the top" by audiophile standards...

but really, going in... did you/we not expect this? can you actually be surprised by the squashed levels and over- compression? i knew it off the bat, ,when i heard the announcement... but i bought it.... cause that's what PJ fans do! i've been in enough mastering sessions of my own to know that over-compression is a fact of life these days...
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:
    i wasn't trying to rip anyone in this thread in particiuliar.... i haven't even heard it and i'm sure that it'll sound "over the top" by audiophile standards...

but really, going in... did you/we not expect this? can you actually be surprised by the squashed levels and over- compression? i knew it off the bat, ,when i heard the announcement... but i bought it.... cause that's what PJ fans do! i've been in enough mastering sessions of my own to know that over-compression is a fact of life these days...

I pretty much wasn't holding my breath in it being done with quality sound in mind. I always have a little bit of hope in me though, that "this, this'll be the one to finally change things a bit". I thought maybe since they were trying to go all out with updating things by getting O'Brien to remix it they were also attempting to make it sound as good as possible, not just blast the quality out of it.

Just because over-compression is a fact of life these days doesn't mean people should put up with it and be silent about it. More people need to complain so that the people that control this crap will be pressured into making things sound good once again.
  • Options
    sorry to burst the bubble of you people "wanting more people to complain". but the majority of music listeners don't care or don't know. those of us who can actually tell are in a huuuuge minority.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Double Post
    Post edited by DD164485 on
  • Options
    The vinyl does not have the extra songs on it(not enough room)
    Drop In the Park sounds great. Like both pressings of TEN It's transfered from a digital source. Not to mention it's pressed on beautiful 180 gram vinyl.

I'm so beyond happy that Pearl Jam (and Sony I guess) decided to do this the right way as opposed to the punk ass way. They could have easily cheaped out.

It really pisses me off when bands release the album on vinyl that's pressed from a digital source.
    It's a total cash grab, meant to sucker all the rubes who don't know any better.

Basically if you press the vinyl from a digital source, you defeat the whole purpose of pressing the album to vinyl in the first place. Digital Source vinyl is basically like putting a CD on a turntable. It's a total rip off for anyone hungry for that "warm" vinyl feeling.

You've really got to be careful when buying vinyl these days. Alot of so called "Audiophile" online stores try and cash in on the vinyl craze by taking a CD Master and pressing it to vinyl to make a quick buck.

I bough a so-called "Audiophile" version of "Tommy" a few years back and was horrified when I compared the sound qaulity of my "original scratched to shit version" and this so called "Remastered 180 gram Audiophile pressing". My scratched original copy blew the new version out of the water.

Once again Pearl Jam has done right by their fans.
    Good Job!!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I am pretty new to vinyl. Is 180g actually supposed to be better sound quality, or is it basically to make the vinyls more resilient?

In my (much more, relatively) limited experience. It matters not, the weight of the vinyl, but the recording and mastering process. Bands that record in analog and do right by the vinyl sound the best.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I am pretty new to vinyl. Is 180g actually supposed to be better sound quality, or is it basically to make the vinyls more resilient?

In my (much more, relatively) limited experience. It matters not, the weight of the vinyl, but the recording and mastering process. Bands that record in analog and do right by the vinyl sound the best.

180gram does nothing for sound.
    It is however less prone to warping/wear and tear. Bascially built Ford tough.

Most new vinyl releases especially re-releases, get the 180-200 gram treatment.

But like you said above, What it all comes down too is the mastering process. If it's mastered from a digital transfer, then you've been duped...you've basically just paid to have a big black CD to put on your turntable.

Thankfully this was not the case with the pressed vinyl in which Pearl Jam has provided us. They did it the right way.
  • Options
    Overly compressed is my fear.
  • Options
    QT31085 wrote:
    sorry to burst the bubble of you people "wanting more people to complain". but the majority of music listeners don't care or don't know. those of us who can actually tell are in a huuuuge minority.

Trust me, you aren't telling me anything I don't already know.
  • Options
    SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    I'd already expected the CD's to be brickwalled, so I'm in no way surprised - I'd be way, way more shocked if they were as dynamic as the original "Ten"!

Glad to hear they got the LP's right (well, seems so from the post a few above mine), makes me even more glad I bought the Spr Dx Ed. I just think of it as a vinyl boxset with some additional CD's with loud audio for listening in the car sometimes.